advice on buying land and rural life

huzzsaba

I know many on this board live in rural areas and always wondered what it is like. I would love to get out there and have a nice piece of land which would keep me busy, possibly one on the waterfront. My wife however is not too keen on the idea of being away from civilization and I understand her point of view.

So what advice can you guys give me on buying land that is suited to build something down the line. I am thinking maybe a small cottage for vacationing or to drive up to on my days off. Maybe even to rent out for cottagers. I guess my question is, is it worth it? My wife is totally fine with the a few days here and there out in rural areas but not long term. Maybe buy a land and build something small.

What does it cost to build a small cottage? Maybe 1500 square foot 2 bedroom unit? Maybe just buy something with a house already on it? But the intention is to buy something fairly cheap cash and build something slowly when cash is available.

I know there is much more involved and would love to hear from you guys in this regards.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

IF you buy something check the zoning carefully for now and in the future.

I had place that was zoned agricultural and a stream, that stream was protected.

It will stay that way for ever.

No dividing, no house NOTHING. Doesn't appreciate much :(

I always wondered about appreciation of land value where you cant build. how bad is it? why would one buy such land? What can you do with it? Maybe use it to camp out or trailer camping? And if the stream or river is protected, does it mean no fishing?

I always wondered about appreciation of land value where you cant build. how bad is it? why would one buy such land? What can you do with it? Maybe use it to camp out or trailer camping? And if the stream or river is protected, does it mean no fishing?

Here it is, my parents/family invested in a "farm" 75% workable and rented . . .Agriculture, they didn't do their homework, future possibilities . . .

Barely doubled in value in 25 years.

If they would have bought closure to the GTA and very small zoned residential or commercial they would have made millions.

They stream ran into the Notty noth of 89 and it was locked could not even build a bridge across.

I only saw Chubb in there but they insisted on other species!

Shop carefully and do your homework. Also if you do buy make a profit later in life it's capital gains time. It's where I am now. :(

On ther other hand I know people who have made millions buying and selling land.

Good luck.

You might want to consider a trailer first. They are cheap and not a big loss if things don't work out. Sure it's not the same thing, but there are some nice trailer parks that offer reasonable privacy. It's great if you just want to get away and do some fishing for a weekend.

Buying a rural property vs a cottage.. hmm.. depends on where you look and how far you want to drive as far as price goes.. a simple cottage can cost big bucks and not all rural property can be built on. Riverfront can be a much cheaper option.. having the wife on board with any decision will make your life a whole lot easier ....

Way too many questions to be asked to try to provide answers on here. Wells, septic systems, power, taxes...... the list is huge!

One thing to consider though would be to get a place somewhere near a small town. We live about 10 minutes drive to Lindsay which offers my wife all the medical, shopping, social requirements to keep her happy and I can catch fish off my dock and shoot turkeys from my garage if I want.

A simple walk across the road and there is plenty of hunting available.

If you buy land, take a look at unorganised townships. For the most part it's a free for all. Can't recall the downside to them, maybe no services like a dump etc..

I have acreage south of North Bay and it mostly wooded, softwood for the most part. It's not worth the hassle to rent it out as it's off grid and I'd prefer to let friends use it if they're in the area. It's primarily a "get the hell out of the city and hear nothing and burn copious amounts of wood in the pit" kind of property. Moose, deer and bear are around. Great skies and neighbours. and lots of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.

Waterfront is another, more costly situation. I guess you have to decide if this is a long term strategy and how much you want to sink in it and if you see yourself retiring there. Healthcare being the primary issue for most thinking of living year round.

Edited by woodenboater

Rent a few cottages for at least 2 weeks and your wife will either say I love this or I will see you latter. Asking what a 1500 sqft cottage costs is like asking how long is a rope? It all depends on what you want in it. Peel and stick floors tiles or marble, laminate counters or granite. It's never the wrong time to buy land in my opinion. If you are waiting for the prices to go down you will be waiting for life. I rented cottages in several different areas to see where I would like to be and most importantly if my wife enjoyed cottage living, I shopped for 20 years before I knew where I didn't want to be and what I could afford. Tich is from the country and did not want country life, but being on the water for her is different than being on a farm. I lived in the city for 40 years and always knew I wanted to be in the country. Now 20 years latter I am ready to go back to civilization. Too damp by the water, too cold in the winter (city cold winds and big lake cold winds are completely different) the Dr's office is an hours drive, way too much grass to cut and too much snow to clear. I can't do all the handy man stuff as easily now. If you are not handy you better buy new or build. You need to do your homework and this is a good place to start but the most important thing is knowing your budget and sticking to it. The main reason we bought where we are is the lack of traffic to get to Lake Erie, and the fishing. Most all of our neighbours are former cottage owners from TO that had cottages north and were sick of the drive, We are about 2 hours from Toronto and depending where you are would think you are up north. Some sold their places north and bought here for 1/2 the price for more cottage, most are homes now not really cottages, many now including us live here full time. That's another thing some counties will consider cottages seasonal residential and require you to be out for 6 months, it's not something they dare to challenge you on unless you are on deeded land. Another consideration is right of ways, no public access to your property, that can be a challenge.

Budget, budget that's what it's all about.

Good luck, you may need it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If the wife's not on board don't bother would be my short answer. In the mean time do some homework and rent a place for short trips together. Maybe she will "get it" after some exposure. And Big Cliff had some good advice about making it close to a small town. A short afternoon jaunt into civilization can be great for many reasons for the both of you.

Edit to add. Civilization must include but is not limited to a liquor/Beer store, a women clothing/shoe store, at least one decent restaurant and a Canadian Tire

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Couple guys said it already, but if the wife isn't on board, it's not a good idea to sink a lot of time and money into something.

I totally agree that renting a few different places over the next couple years is the way to go. Check out different areas and talk about the various options with the wife.

Taxes in unorganized townships are going up this year and over the next several years. It won't be a ridiculous jump, but it'll be significant. All the northern municipalities with high taxes are blaming unorganized twps. for being a burden on their services... it's just tax envy from their own spending/salaries/mismanagement and since city services cannot be used by non-residents for free they really have no good reason for saying that... people in North Bay actually tell me I should pay them to use their roads hahaha..maybe I'll take all my business elsewhere then, and at the same time everyone from out of town should pay a toll to have the right to enter North Bay hahaha.

Anyway, what you are looking for will be very expensive and restrictive. Buy a property you can live and play on...much cheaper and more options to be had. As for the wife, I know a few people who their spouses said they need civilization, until they move to the country, then they say they could never leave. It's just a lifestyle change, but usually people get used to it. Be prepared to buy lots of screen for a porch/gazebo!!

Waterfront land will cost over 100,000 at the very least. Buiding a rentable place will be well over 100,000 and you still have septic, well, driveway, chattels, dock etc. A pre-fab is about $1,000/sq.ft installed (based on my local research). Lake front property is crazy expensive nowdays...on the plus side for those who buy now, it will likely keep going up in value.

I lived in small cities,2 different lakes (1 in an organised twp & 1 in an unorganised area) & in the country on 100+ acres.

My first choice by a large margin is unorganised lakeside.

I was able to build my own place without any building permits,no building inspecter,just hydro & septic permits & inspections required.

I did follow building code rules but was not subject to the whims of some local "expert"

Living in the country with several acres is my second choice,but not a close second.

I am about 10 minutes from a village with an LCBO,grocery store,medical clinic & gas station.

I am about 30 minutes from the same small city Simon mentioned in his earlier post.

My GF loves the lake life,if she didn't the next one will. :whistling:

Well in a large portion of central to southern Ontario cottage country a $100,000 sure will not get y

Taxes in unorganized townships are going up this year and over the next several years. It won't be a ridiculous jump, but it'll be significant. All the northern municipalities with high taxes are blaming unorganized twps. for being a burden on their services... it's just tax envy from their own spending/salaries/mismanagement and since city services cannot be used by non-residents for free they really have no good reason for saying that... people in North Bay actually tell me I should pay them to use their roads hahaha..maybe I'll take all my business elsewhere then, and at the same time everyone from out of town should pay a toll to have the right to enter North Bay hahaha.

Anyway, what you are looking for will be very expensive and restrictive. Buy a property you can live and play on...much cheaper and more options to be had. As for the wife, I know a few people who their spouses said they need civilization, until they move to the country, then they say they could never leave. It's just a lifestyle change, but usually people get used to it. Be prepared to buy lots of screen for a porch/gazebo!!

Waterfront land will cost over 100,000 at the very least. Buiding a rentable place will be well over 100,000 and you still have septic, well, driveway, chattels, dock etc. A pre-fab is about $1,000/sq.ft installed (based on my local research). Lake front property is crazy expensive nowdays...on the plus side for those who buy now, it will likely keep going up in value.

It is cheaper to rent for a few weeks a year than to own it 365. If the wife is not interested you are going to see a rift between the money you spend on the property for yourself and the money you spend for the two of you. It can get ugly and if you have to bail on the property before it matures because of this rift it will be a loss of retirement income you pissed away in her eyes. Choose wisely grasshopper major financial items need to have both of your blessings.

Art