advice on buying land and rural life

huzzsaba

This thread has gotten me worked up and tighter than a drum. Well I had the laptop on the back deck and have been fooling around on it late because I haven't been sleeping very well and took a nap this afternoon that lasted about 5 hours. So here I am sitting on the deck and about an hour ago I hear splashing on the shoreline, I'm thinking maybe the Carp are back and don't pay much attention to it. About 45 minutes ago I realize those aren't Carp those are Smallies feeding on the Mayflies that are buzzing around my screen. Then I realize, this is after midnight, Bass season is OPEN. I grab a flashlight and grab a rod from the shed. Put a topwater on and gingerly head down the rocks to the beach. First cast, tug on the Rapalla Skitter Popper twice and fish on. It's pitch black out and she comes out of the water at least 4 times. I'm praying please don't spit it out, please I want to see how beautiful you are. About 2 minutes latter that feels like 30 minutes she is at the waters edge covered in green algae. I reach down and lip her hoping not to fill my hand with 6 hooks on 2 trebles as I can hardly see her. She is about 20 inches, 3 pounds maybe, normally I would tell you 4. I grab the light and I know I don't have any pliers. The back hook is in her lip maybe, maybe 1/4 inch. The hook comes out as smooth as a baby's bum. I admire her for a few seconds clean her off kiss her on the check and gently send her on her way, what a beautiful Bass, my favorite of the year.

I'm not moving anytime soon. I am going to sleep like a baby now.

Good Night and have fun if you are heading out for the opener, I will be back on the beach in a few hours if the wind and rain holds off.
Not a bad opener1 cast 1 fish. I don't want to be greedy so I quit while ahead. Wowa we wa.

I love it here, again.

edit: clean her off, kiss her on the cheek and send her on her way, something I did in my 20's, but not with female fish! I know PG rated Speil. I can't help meself.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Unorganized Township means there is no municipal government. If there is a community, there is often a Local Service Boards that administers/sets taxes on things like roads maintenance, community center, volunteer fire. Everything is run by volunteers. For small communities, it's the best government system because the townies run it and have a true interest in keeping costs low and service quality high. No waste of taxes on politicians or high-level managers or administration. Other than provinicial tax portions and school taxes, all the other tax dollar go directly to services. Awesome isn't it?

Unorganized Territory is an even higher level of unorganization. A lot of place far north have that designation.

Rod Caster $1000.00 per square foot for a pre fab? Where, Malibu next door to Tom Cruise? Typo I think.

What many people don't realize a seasonal residential property if financed through a traditional mortgage the down payment is 30% or even higher depending on the lender.

Something that is funny was when friends of ours that came out to see us when we bought this place on the lake many years ago. John and Judy were here for a bit and Judy turned to John and said " I want a place on the lake too John, I love this" About 10 minutes latter when I was refilling libations I heard a blood curdling scream, I thought someone had been seriously injured. I ran to the deck and saw Judy with her hands over her head and violently shaking. She saw a spider. Needless to say she never visited again or bought a place near the lake.

Our taxes were $750.00 a year in 1996, they are now $4200.00. No sewer, no water, no snow clearing on private right of way, mail delivery a kilometer down the road. Garbage must be taken about 500 meters away on main road, efore 7AM because it will be strewn everywhere if the night before by coons and coyotes, no transportation services, no street lights, no side walks, 500 meter stone roadway you must clear of snow and repair (your newly washed car lasts newly washed for a few feet) no taxi service, no fast food delivery, heck no fast food for 40KM. Closest place to get an emergency quart of milk is a 15 minute drive, maybe an hour in a storm. The list of things one from the city takes for granted can become a real pain out here. Constant white outs and 6 foot high drifts, be prepared to miss some time if commuting to work, it will happen. Some nights spring and summer all lights must be off and TV off when sand flies and fish flies attach the cottage all might long. No snow removal on main roads until accumulation is over 20CM or something like that and then they have 24 hours to clear it, drifts along the lakeshore don't count. No newspaper delivery to the door, you will find it in a plastic bag in the snow only after it has been run over by a snow plow. Local news is a weekly paper, you will find out your neighbours funeral was 5 days ago. Zero local news because the local radio station is not powerful enough to reach your place and the closest city could care less unless there is civil unrest. Wake up one morning to the sight of 150 wind turbines, 3 of which are 600 meters from the cottage, swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, 24 hours a day for 365 days a year. Hydro black outs, but only when it rains, gets windy or snows. Calling the Spiderman 3 times a year unless you want to wake up with a closed eye because a spider bit you. Call 911 and wait for 25 minutes (unless they are on another call) minimum and then there's the 25 minute drive to the hospital then wait for the emergency radiologist to drive the 50 minutes from home, unless it's snowing. Loose your license and man you have a problem. Not just from drinking and driving, what about due to diabetes etc?

I could go on but won't. Some of these things seem trivial but put 20 trivial things together and it can get tiring. The crazy thing is we may move away from the lake but I can never live in the city again unless it's a matter of health.

Lol I think this pretty much sums it up!

On the upper Bruce there used to be a government program that if you had a minimum of 2 acres,I believe, and you agreed to not develop it in any way they paid your property taxes. We bought a chunk of bush between Johnson's Harbour and Willow creek on the Huron side and we qualified for it, but never filled out the paperwork because we where unsure what we where going to do with the parcel of land. Held onto it for a few years and then sold it when we decided to cottage in the Kawartha's instead.

Just thought I'd throw this up here for someone to consider and check into if they are interested.

Same idea for the Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program MFTIP. If you own 10 acres of land or more, you can reduce your land taxes drastically by writing up a forest management plan and getting it approved by the MNR. If you don't plan on developing the all of the land, it's a great option and it's SUPER simple and painless.

I have no idea how your tax structure works up there, I live in a rural township here, it has zoning requirements, mobile homes are not allowed and there is a 3 acre minimum lot size to build a home. I live around 10 miles from a small city (population around 25k), if I moved there my property taxes would double to support multi-layers of government and city provided services. It never seemed worthwhile to me to pay around 400 bucks a month for a lot of services that I didn't really need or want.

We have 3 township trustees that run the townships business, they are part time, our police protection is thru the county sheriff's department and they do a good job, there is of course a fee included in our taxes, but lower than a full time police force would cost.

We have a fire station, new one built around 10 years ago, staffed by volunteer firemen and rescue squad, at a lower cost than a full time force, they also do a good job.

The township plows and repairs the roads, we have city water, septic systems, a community ballpark, cemetary, and not a lot else to pay for besides schools included in our tax bills.

Having the family on board is a big deal, especially over time, my daughters liked it here, until they grew breasts, then there wasn't enough excitement! LOL My son, now 26, still loves it here and still lives with me. I traded up, I got a dog and ditched the wife! LOL

Our propert taxes, here in Southern Ont. at least are based on assessed values done by an independent contractor every 10 or so years. Basically they take the most expensive house on the street or neighbourhood and the least expensive and the average is the value. Not much if any consideration is given for lack of services. The municipality will increase taxes annually based on where they sit after they have mismanaged the county. That is a simplification for sure but that how it basically works here in Haldimand county that borders the city of Hamilton, Lake Erie , Niagara, Brantford and Norfolk. The largest county in Southern Ont with only 45K residence. About an hours drive from one end to another N to s, E to W. That's a lot of county to maintain for 45K folks.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My county is a bit smaller Old, with around 4 times the population. They do our property taxes on assessed value too. As I recall they have a van that drives around with a camera mounted on top and take pictures, that also allows them to determine if you have built anything without the required permits.

OI, a lot of small townships/communities are mismanaged in the same way. My inlaws live near Barry's Bay where they get literally no services and their taxes are like $4,000 for 35 acres. There are sand-floor homes, garbage-land properties and you bring your own garbage to the hole which is the dump. They are paying for salaries and administration of nothing, except highly marked-up road maintenance.

In my opinion, some of these smaller, very rural communities with high tax ratios and little to no services, should dissolve their municipal governments and operate under local services boards. Now mind you, that option may only be available in Northern Ontario..?? not sure about that. Also, it would require local leadership and volunteers... so good luck with that.

Thank you everyone for taking the time out and replying. And thank you Old Ironmaker for your PM. I am not one that likes to start a thread and leave it hanging but my laptop power cord decided to stop working leaving everyone at home to fight over one computer lol.

There is so much valuable information in this thread. Basically after reading as much as I could, I feel the best route to consider is to buy something that will appreciate in value ie waterfront or riverfront property with a house on it already. Use it during vacation times and rent it out to non party crowd when I am not using it. Moving for long term would be tough for the time being due to schools and other medical amenities required by a family member.

I and the wife am pretty handy around the house so small repairs don't intimidate us once we get a place. I guess the last remaining concern would be the taxes vs appreciation vs usage or revenue.

In the end, like a lot of you mentioned, is to do my homework. I will have some time this summer so I will go look at some places and definitely do some research on my options. I definitely will be returning to this thread to look over the loads of advice as I go along.

Thanks!

Edited by huzzsaba

What a beautiful and handsome looking crew you have there my man. You have enough to put a team on the ice, the little one can play in goal.

I wonder what O.P. thoughts are after getting some opinions? Looks like he is AWOL, maybe he's away building a cottage on the waters edge, I really hope so regardless of what my old bones say.

Hey Rick, shot a 79 yesterday, too bad it was a par 65.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

manitoubass2, you have a beautiful family and what seems like a quality lifestyle.

can you provide some advice on how to become gainfully employed in that lifestyle?

do you do IT work or a form of contract work?

I can't imagine what one would do to support a family - because it seems too good to be true.

First of all thanks?

Work hard and save. Forage, fish, bought shares in a farm to save on grocery bills.

Look in NW ontario prices can be very cheap. We rent a 3 bedroom 2 story house. A little ovee 800 per month including utilities

Im not rich by any means. In fact im on ei for the second time in my life right now. Wife works a good job. I worked the oilfields for abit(too tough on me and the kiddos).

Just be smart. My pops always told me, if you cant pay your bills on one weeks cheque, you cant afford it. For us thats a combined income but a very good strategy.

Edited by manitoubass2

And OI lol.

Lucky bugger. Im itchin to golf but its not in the cards until the weekend.

My son and I are gonna check out this new course about half hour away. Its only 9 holes but I hear its more like a "links" style course.

I just hope to break 90 first time out lol

How much are you selling that 3 acres for simon? :)

Aint actually selling, was kinda tongue in cheek comment, kinda. I have some land that I am looking into the possibility of splitting up, not sure if its possible but will be finding out.

There is a ton of acreage for sale up here. there was a whole island for sale on Wabigoon lake with a cottage and boat, ATV, docks etc. included for $150,000!

I'd take a dip myself but need to break the ice. 1st time in 20 years haven't got out toes wet yet. Many years May 24.

That sucks, sure is a great way to beat the summer heat and have some fun!

Many years Ive swam at ice out, but I think those days are behind me.(not really swam, just jumped in and got the heck out lol)

What a beautiful and handsome looking crew you have there my man. You have enough to put a team on the ice, the little one can play in goal.

I wonder what O.P. thoughts are after getting some opinions? Looks like he is AWOL, maybe he's away building a cottage on the waters edge, I really hope so regardless of what my old bones say.

Hey Rick, shot a 79 yesterday, too bad it was a par 65.

I wish I was already building something somewhere at the edge of the water. One day perhaps!