How to size a bow-mount electric trolling motor

Hey folks,

What lbs thrust and voltage is required to push a 16' aluminum bowrider? Motor is 75 hp outboard, beam is about 75".. fairly deep haul.. not sure I'd classify it as a deep V.  Can provide a pic of the boat if required.  And between Motor Guide and Minkota, which do you prefer and why? 

I am shopping for a used one..

Thanks!

Edited by siwash

Speaking from experience, You could definitely survive on a 55lb thrust in a pinch but I’d personally recommend an 80 as well. On a windy day that 12volt 55 is going to be an issue.

You will need two 12 volt batteries wired  in series to create 24v which will allow you to push the 80lb thrust motor.

a 55lb thrust will only require one twelve volt battery. There is some consideration there for the fact that the two batteries set up is heavier, and more expensive and the 80lb thrust motor will also be more expensive. All for you to figure out. 

as far as brands go, stick with minkotta for sure. I’d never go motorguide unless it’s an old motorguide tour cable steer motor. Which for your application is almost most certainly not what you are looking for.

a used minkotta terrova will be the perfect motor for you. 

then you have some decisions to make about whether you want spot lock or not.

• Like 2

80lb Terrova and be done with it. I assume being a bow rider its a glass boat to the extra power will be nice. 

You can buy a single 24V Lithium battery but most applications you'll need 2 12V batteries in series.

New there is only a $350 difference between a 55 and 80. If you're making the investment, always go bigger if you can.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, siwash said:

What lbs thrust and voltage is required to push a 16' aluminum bowrider?

Bassman, see above... 

Thanks.. seeing quite a few used in the 70s lbs range.. on Marketplace. 

Thanks everyone.. 

32 minutes ago, siwash said:

Bassman, see above... 

Thanks everyone.. 

those 70’s are some of their crappier line of motors like the traxxis and edge, and power drive. 

Also speaking from experience, do you want a motor that won’t ever die like the terrova or do you want problems lol

• Like 1

Have to agree with all above. 

I had a 46lb on a Bass Tracker 190 (mod v so probably about the same weight as yours) and it was terrible. On calm days, it was fine but with any wind, I could barely troll against the wind. I went to a 80lb terrova which would be a 24V system and it was night an day. 

When I switched boats to a 19 foot glass, I did not even bother trying to get away with the 80lb even though I knew it would work. I put a 112/36V one on. 

Spend the money up front now instead of buying, regretting and buying again. Yes, it is a bit more now but it will save you in the long run. 

• Like 3

I'll first go into reliability.  I have had one Motorguide Xi5 gps head unit crap out on me.  Motor worked fine, but GPS died 6 months outside of warranty, fortunately it was the one and only time I've ever had an extended warranty on anything (bass pro) and they made it right.  I've also killed a Minn Kota Terrova GPS head unit.  That one wasn't under warranty, and I got lucky with a Canadian Tire clearance deal when they were still carrying the ipilots and I replaced the head and remote for a few hundred, otherwise the repair would've been in excess of $600.  My Terrova is currently at Aikman's Sporting goods getting the brushes and seals replaced because it sounded like someone wash beating on dog squeaky toy with a hammer every time I turned it on.  Minn Kotas, even the Terrovas aren't bullet proof by any means.  I've had many issues with pedals, head units not turning, replaced a board on one once etc on Minn Kotas over the years.  They all have issues.  The Xi5 was a pretty sweet motor for the 3 years I had it.  The replacement got moved on with my old boat.  I guess if I had to pick it would be a Minn Kota.  However Aikman's just told me that the last gen pre Bluetooth the motherboards have been discontinued now.  Keep that in mind when buying used.  As for your boat, a 55lb will work, but yeah wind will occasionally be a pain in the butt.  If you troll a lot and use the motor to steer, you'll kill even a group 31 after about 6 hours. Flat dead, and the more you do that the shorter lifespan of the battery.  I used to get about 2, maybe 3 seasons of heavy use on a 31 series with a 55lb thrust on my 16 footer with constant trolling.  If you can swing it weight wise, I'd try to go 24 volt.  Just my 2 bits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Bassman, see above... 

Thanks everyone.. 

There is a reason you're seeing 70lb Powerdrives for sale online and not Terrova's. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

So what is the Terra Nova? I'll have tk do some research 

should I steer clear of the older used models? Say older than 5

i also have a budget to stick to. If that Terra Nova is expensive I will have to opt for a more budget friendly motor 

Edited by siwash

Minnkota makes a few power steering models. 
the power drive, Terrova and Ulterra. 

the power drive has weird issues with design and durability, the Terrova will still have issues but not nearly as many as the power drive. 

these are all trolling motors that have GPS/ipilot. 

if you don’t need that and just want a trolling motor to move around, the only option I would look at would be the Fortrex.

• Like 1

Not sure what your budget is...but Cabela's has the Terrova 80 on sale for $1999....that's almost $700 off the regular price. Plus compared to used, you get a warranty. However, I believe it comes with the mini-remote (no LCD screen)..if you don't like it, you can always upgrade later.

You don't see many used Terrova 80's on the market...and if you do they command a premium price.

Mine's been bulletproof, except for a seal incident from my grandkids fishing line...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys.  $2000 out of my budget. I will look for a used one with 80lbs and I suppose I'll stick with minn kota since most of your feel it's the better brand. 

what other minn kotas out there are decent  quality aside from the terrova?

Edited by siwash

I don’t thin powerdrives are as bad as a lot of guys make them out to be.  They certainly pull you around.  The pedals have been notorious for crapping out though.  What a lot of people don’t like is the release mechanism.  And it’s really not that bad, it just takes some more dicking around than a terrova does.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:20 AM, porkpie said:

I don’t thin powerdrives are as bad as a lot of guys make them out to be.  They certainly pull you around.  The pedals have been notorious for crapping out though.  What a lot of people don’t like is the release mechanism.  And it’s really not that bad, it just takes some more dicking around than a terrova does.

i personally killed 3 of them...that was enough for me.

Like I mentioned before, if you’re not worried about spot lock or any GPS needs, a Fortrex is a great option too. 

As for brand, I’d be more concerned with the sizing than brand. An 80lb is what I feel you are best with and will serve your purposes and I personally feel minnkota was the superior option (now with Lowrance, powerpole and garmin having trolling motors, I’m not so sure) but motorguide does have some pretty good options in the 80lb market as well that you might be able to find used. I’d just try to stick with their cable steer options.

never used their electric so can’t comment but they didn’t get good reviews the last time I looked. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lape0019 said:

Like I mentioned before, if you’re not worried about spot lock or any GPS needs, a Fortrex is a great option too. 

As for brand, I’d be more concerned with the sizing than brand. An 80lb is what I feel you are best with and will serve your purposes and I personally feel minnkota was the superior option (now with Lowrance, powerpole and garmin having trolling motors, I’m not so sure) but motorguide does have some pretty good options in the 80lb market as well that you might be able to find used. I’d just try to stick with their cable steer options.

never used their electric so can’t comment but they didn’t get good reviews the last time I looked. 

fortrex needs a front fishing platform.

The OP's boat is a bow rider from what I understand. i.e. no ability to easily keep the pedal right close to the fortrex.

• Like 1

Not sure how you fish, but I wouldn't get a Fortrex simply because it doesn't have Spot Lock. I don't know how I could fish without it ..lol.

I had a PowerDrive several years ago, the pedal was so unreliable that I ended up taking a spare with me on an extended trip up north. Good riddance.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

fortrex needs a front fishing platform.

The OP's boat is a bow rider from what I understand. i.e. no ability to easily keep the pedal right close to the fortrex.

this is the setup- I'm thinking of building a casting platformIMG_6613.jpeg.ca8e03ea19084051b631d35f71e10f6d.jpeg

Edited by siwash

It’s pretty easy to fill in the open space and have a full casting platform and a Fortrex would work fine 

if you fish reeds or shorelines or boat docks fortrex is 100% better then any other type 

control control control 

Edited by Terry
Damn autocorrect
  • Thanks 1