advice on buying land and rural life

huzzsaba

First of all thanks

Work hard and save. Forage, fish, bought shares in a farm to save on grocery bills.

Look in NW ontario prices can be very cheap. We rent a 3 bedroom 2 story house. A little ovee 800 per month including utilities

Im not rich by any means. In fact im on ei for the second time in my life right now. Wife works a good job. I worked the oilfields for abit(too tough on me and the kiddos).

Just be smart. My pops always told me, if you cant pay your bills on one weeks cheque, you cant afford it. For us thats a combined income but a very good strategy.

Do you by any chance live on manitoulin island? Curious because of your username. I will be camping out at Manitoulin resort on lake Manitoo at the end of this month.

Make sure my sister in law treats you well !

I'm sure she will! this is the first time I am going there but my friend went there a few years ago and stayed a week and loved it. Im pretty sure we will too!

huzzsaba , if your wife camps with you she will be fine in a nice dry warm cottage for sure. Rick lives on a resort on the mainland at Rainy River

We go to the cottage in upper Michigan every year since there is more vacancies there and cheaper even on their long weekends. The wife loves it to the point where she says "lets buy one". They are more affordable and I must say nicer in Michigan for the price. Why I haven't considered it yet? Because I would love to own something here in Canada, plus I am sure buying something another country has its fair share of homework and strings attached, but that is a whole different topic.

Edited by huzzsaba

Man you live far. It must help to have a big family to keep busy, and by the looks of it, they must love it. I am sure its a lot of fun.

I have always wanted to drive cross country and it seems like you live close to Hwy 11. How would you compare it to hwy 17? definitely would require travel through the US to get into Manitoba from there.