Thanks to Freshtrax

Rizzo

After buying an outboard on Kijiji, I got real discouraged when it ran very poorly when I got it home (why it didn't get tested at seller is a long story). By poorly, I mean it didn't run at all. I posted here...got lots of great advice...but when nothing was working I was in over my head. Well what do you know Freshtrax sent me a pm and offered to come over and get it running for me! Well that motor was pretty stubborn, but he did manage to get it going after a bit of sweat and contemplation. Now she is purring like a kitten. Starts on first pull and my wife isn't giving me the gears for dropping $$$ on a piece o crapola engine. Thanks Freshtrax, you really know your stuff!

One of the issues was the gas can the guy gave me had more water in it than gas apparently. But I think there was more wrong, because even if it was watery gas, you would still get wet spark plugs after half an hour of pulling. The plugs were dry even after repeated pulls

So it does eventually start peeing out...I suppose maybe there is a thermostat in there. Having said that, it doesn't come out in a real nice stream...more of an intermittent spray. The plan is to replace that as a preventative measure

So it does eventually start peeing out...I suppose maybe there is a thermostat in there. Having said that, it doesn't come out in a real nice stream...more of an intermittent spray. The plan is to replace that as a preventative measure

I'm glad you got some help, very nice gesture from Freshtrax. Your impeller is probably on the way out. Our Nissan 9.8 sprays hard right from startup.

My 08 Merc 15 hp 2 stroke has always done that, and its had two impeller replacements since ive owned it. It will pump hard when im at speed but at idle or trolling it will just sputter intermittently.

Great to hear you have it running. Freshtrax be da man. :clapping:

There wouldn't be much water coming out of the pee hole at idle, especially when the engine is cold.

I had the same problem with an outboard a few years ago. Thought the impeller needed replacing because it just sputtered a tiny bit of water at idle or slow trolling speed. It just wasn't running fast enough to heat up the engine to keep a steady flow of water.

Pushed a smaller piece of hose inside the pee hole to basically reduce the diameter a bit. With the smaller outlet, it kept a steady flow from the pee hole even at idle. Engine never over heated and I had a sure tell tale sign that the cooling system was working right from start up. No issues.

I would caution anyone trying this though. You would have to make sure the back pressure isn't great enough to reduce the flow of water to a point that it doesn't cool the engine properly. Mine worked out great and I would do it again in the same circumstances. You must check the temperature of the pee hole water regularly until you're satisfied the cooling system works well. The outflow should be cool to warm, but never hot.