not impressed with home hardware

BucktownAngler

went in to buy a 5lb propane tank.

website shows it for $34.99 refurbished

i get in there no stock. they check the computer, none of the stores stock them. however they might be able to order one for me but have no clue how long it would take.

i bite the bullet and buy a new one for $50 from CTC, then go back to home hardware to get it filled.

they charge me $7 and change to fill it, while they charge $14.99 to fill a 20lb what the hell?

also bought a 5 gallon bucket, no price tag on it, turns out to be $8 at the register. $3.50 for a 5 gallon bucket at home depot

no wonder there were more employees then customers in there

went in to buy a 5lb propane tank.

website shows it for $34.99 refurbished

i get in there no stock. they check the computer, none of the stores stock them. however they might be able to order one for me but have no clue how long it would take.

i bite the bullet and buy a new one for $50 from CTC, then go back to home hardware to get it filled.

they charge me $7 and change to fill it, while they charge $14.99 to fill a 20lb what the hell?

also bought a 5 gallon bucket, no price tag on it, turns out to be $8 at the register. $3.50 for a 5 gallon bucket at home depot

no wonder there were more employees then customers in there

They had to charge you to purge it before they can fill. should have had CTC fill it for you thats where you bought it from.

I go to a local gas station to fill my tanks they also charge by the actual amount you get not for a complete 20lbs fill up which is nice when topping tanks off.

My local home hardware is great but they don't always have everything I need or if I need more then 2-4 of one thing they will not have it so off to HD or CTC.

My experiences with Home Hardware have been pretty good whether it was in Gravenhurst, up in Kenora or Port Hope. The service was far superior to Home Depot. HD may have better pricing than HH on some items BUT the help and service outweighs price in most instances. They may not always have a lot of stock on many items but they can always order something in.

As for your recent visit, a new tank has to be purged before it can be filled. That adds to the cost of your fill.

The only HH I go in is the one in Bobcaygeon when we are at the cottage. Small town with a small store so sometimes they just don't have what you want. IMHO the best staff I have ever encountered in a store. Pretty much all of them will go out of there way to help. One fellow in particular seems to be knowledgeable on everything concerning tinkering around with stuff at the cottage. I always hunt him down when I'm in there.

Couldn't be happier with my experiences in there.

The only HH I go in is the one in Bobcaygeon when we are at the cottage. Small town with a small store so sometimes they just don't have what you want. IMHO the best staff I have ever encountered in a store. Pretty much all of them will go out of there way to help. One fellow in particular seems to be knowledgeable on everything concerning tinkering around with stuff at the cottage. I always hunt him down when I'm in there.

Insert "Bridgenorth", and I totally agree. I've always had great service and rarely they don't have what I need.

And the owner is an avid fisherman... :Gonefishing:

Kala's in St Catharines is famous for bending over to please the customer. Well known for carrying just about anything a farmer can need.

Others are not so great. All depends on the owner. I've seen a couple of stores that have the modern kitchen as their focus and very little hardware or tools.

I find that the employees at our HH make the difference. I would rather jab fishing hooks in my eyes that ever have to suffer through going into a Home Despot in my life again.... If I don't know EXACTLY where something is in those monostrousities, they call stores, I just personally have WAY too little time for having to wonder around looking for one of their "hot deals" only to ask 10 employees about it, to be told sorry not my section let me call "Fred." Fred must be imaginary because he or she never shows up LOL.

BTW alll in pricing is generally cheaper for me at HH because the closest Despot is a 40 min drive and they aren't giving away fuel these days.

Our HH here has a great owner (nice guy) but some of his staff are ridiculous!

Ordered $6500 worth of Patio doors.......wrong ones were ordered by staff.

They tried to blame their mistake on me and were refuing to take back the doors...effectively leaving me with $6500 worth of useless to me patio doors.

I pointed out to them that it was their mistake for ordering 'new build' doors (4.5" wider...might as well be a mile) when i had documented proof of our conversations and photos about my EXISTING doors I wanted to replace.....i.e. they should have ordered the 'renovation' doors from their own catalogue which incidentally matched the original measurements i'd given them........DUH! (both the new build and reno doors were on the same page of their suppliers catalogue.....guess thats what happened then).

The correct doors were ordered and i notice on my new invoice that my original discount was now gone! They are charging me full price for the doors out of spite for a mistake they made???!!!! I called the manager and after some debate the original discount was restored.

It took 6 weeks for the wrong doors to come in....i was told they would put a 'rush' order for the right doors.....and could expect them within a week....2 weeks maximum.

Well 6 weeks later no doors. I call and am told "the doors are here"....very abruptly and rudely. Turns out they had been there a week....just nobody had bothered to call.

I asked if they would like to deliver them any time soon......yes.....I was heavily sarcastic....I was beyond pissed now......I am told that "if i want them delivered " i will have to be there to help unload!????!!! At that point the switch was flicked and i let loose on the woman......lots of cursing and "i'm not on your payroll.......get over here with my doors!"

The doors were delivered a week later. All good except i ordered the doors so they would arrive at the end of October but did not get them until the beginning of Jan........just in time to install them in -30C!

SHOP LOCAL? BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That is fast becoming an oxymoron in this town .

Our HH here has a great owner (nice guy) but some of his staff are ridiculous!

Ordered $6500 worth of Patio doors.......wrong ones were ordered by staff.

They tried to blame their mistake on me and were refuing to take back the doors...effectively leaving me with $6500 worth of useless to me patio doors.

I pointed out to them that it was their mistake for ordering 'new build' doors (4.5" wider...might as well be a mile) when i had documented proof of our conversations and photos about my EXISTING doors I wanted to replace.....i.e. they should have ordered the 'renovation' doors from their own catalogue which incidentally matched the original measurements i'd given them........DUH! (both the new build and reno doors were on the same page of their suppliers catalogue.....guess thats what happened then).

The correct doors were ordered and i notice on my new invoice that my original discount was now gone! They are charging me full price for the doors out of spite for a mistake they made???!!!! I called the manager and after some debate the original discount was restored.

It took 6 weeks for the wrong doors to come in....i was told they would put a 'rush' order for the right doors.....and could expect them within a week....2 weeks maximum.

Well 6 weeks later no doors. I call and am told "the doors are here"....very abruptly and rudely. Turns out they had been there a week....just nobody had bothered to call.

I asked if they would like to deliver them any time soon......yes.....I was heavily sarcastic....I was beyond pissed now......I am told that "if i want them delivered " i will have to be there to help unload!????!!! At that point the switch was flicked and i let loose on the woman......lots of cursing and "i'm not on your payroll.......get over here with my doors!"

The doors were delivered a week later. All good except i ordered the doors so they would arrive at the end of October but did not get them until the beginning of Jan........just in time to install them in -30C!

SHOP LOCAL? BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That is fast becoming an oxymoron in this town .

We had the exact same problem with HH regarding our patio door that we had ordered in July.....We ordered the patio door from HH...the kicker was the patio door manufacture rep was at the store up here for a promo. Went over all the details..........2 months not 2 weeks later the door arrives and is delivered to our house, WRONG OPENING, the store refused to do anything about it, and this store is NOT part of the HH association, ...an independent. The manufacturer agreed to exchange the door but HH refused to pick up till after their inventory, I said when is that, they replied 2 months from now, go figure, so the manufacturer even tried to get HH to pick it up, they still refused. We took pics of the door outside and said we are refusing any liability for any damage till they pick it up. November they finally pick up the friigin door.

Did we ever get our door no,,,,,,they say they cant get one to us till june........oh to have a Rona or Home Depot.

We had the exact same problem with HH regarding our patio door that we had ordered in July.....We ordered the patio door from HH...the kicker was the patio door manufacture rep was at the store up here for a promo. Went over all the details..........2 months not 2 weeks later the door arrives and is delivered to our house, WRONG OPENING, the store refused to do anything about it, and this store is NOT part of the HH association, ...an independent. The manufacturer agreed to exchange the door but HH refused to pick up till after their inventory, I said when is that, they replied 2 months from now, go figure, so the manufacturer even tried to get HH to pick it up, they still refused. We took pics of the door outside and said we are refusing any liability for any damage till they pick it up. November they finally pick up the friigin door.

Did we ever get our door no,,,,,,they say they cant get one to us till june........oh to have a Rona or Home Depot.

Go talk to the guys at Igloo John.