Interesting opinion/factoid about Mercs vs Yammies

woodenboater

Was at the Toronto International Boat Show during setup and was chatting with one of the main guys at I can't remember which marina. I mentioned the big arse Verados (lots of twins) on the boats and asked him about Yamahas. He said, and this surprised me, that the Yamahas were outselling Mercs by about 10:1. This sound right or way out in left field ? Think he mentioned the Yamaha technology was better as well.

There were some seriously nice cruisers (Carvers, Meridiens, Marquis etc) in the big toys area and Legend had lots of boats as did Princecraft. Lund hadn't set up yet.

Possibly if he's talking worldwide....

No way if he's talking North America....

Look at the automotive market. Japanese vs Domestic. Just take a head count when walking through any parking lot. Thats a testament to superior quality. As far as Merc numbers on the water? There are still enough die hards who dont mind being fed an inferior product time and time again as well as those willing to save a few bucks now only to shell out more bucks down the road. Check retail and resale numbers.

Edited by moxie

Look at the automotive market. Japanese vs Domestic. Just take a head count when walking through any parking lot. Thats a testament to superior quality. As far as Merc numbers on the water? There are still enough die hards who dont mind being fed an inferior product time and time again as well as those willing to save a few bucks now only to shell out more bucks down the road. Check retail and resale numbers.

The topic is marine engines not sure the automotive market is relevant in this discussion.

I have a Honda and like it but I have a few buds that have 4stroke Mercs and they are far quieter than my Honda. Most 4 stroke Mercs are Tohatsu engines.

I talked to my local guy marine that sells all brands and asked a loaded question about what he sells most and what is the most reliable and he could only say that when he sells a Yamaha he never see's them again.

Moxie in north american merc out sells yammie 10-1 so obviously merc would have a greater number of repair occurences but if you looked at repairs per 1000 units sold i think you would see yammie is not less prone to failure nor a "better" engine. They only possible truth to the yammie sells better would be if he was only comparing verado to the sho 4 stroke.