Interesting opinion/factoid about Mercs vs Yammies

woodenboater

Yamaha builds a fine motor.

All motors work in nice conditions. (or should)

Go to Niagara / Queenston ramp in January through March and have a look at what everyone is running.

another example of 10:1 Yamaha / Merc.

f3tt.jpg

Edited by Steve

My Verado runs flawless in negative temps while trolling for Musky in December on GBay.... if we can break enough ice to get her in the water that is. That said.. it's on my boat and quiet. If I could have got similar at the time in Yamaha I probably could have been swayed either way. My fishing buddy, with pretty much identical boat, runs a 225 Yamaha. Again it runs flawless... although he does pull it out of the lake by the end of October.. :whistling:

I love yamaha, just bought a brand new one this winter, my quad is a yamaha as well. Excellent power equipment, however in no way do I believe that they outsell merc 10-1 in the outboard market. Perhaps worldwide as was mentioned. I have never seen a yammi under tow myself, but most boats I see being towed in are older and poorly maintained, and anything poorly maintained will fail. I've owned merc, mariner (yamaha block) tohatsu/Nissan and Johnson/Evinrude as well as yamaha of different sizes over the years on various fishing and duck boats. They've all been pretty reliable, but then I maintain things. I do believe that the yamaha/Honda products have much greater longevity, but that is personal opinion your mileage may vary!

I gots a yamaha guitar. Pretty sure they outsell Merury in that dept.

Ha! I bet your right!! I have an old Yamaha too, but prefer my Taylor.

Ya don't see many of those black engines down home do ya? I wonder why that is?? I know there's none around our town at all. Mostly Yamaha, and older mariners (also Yamaha). See the odd Honda now, and a few E-tecs....but no black ones.

S.

When a big boat company decides what motor to put on their boats other than getting a brand name they go with what company will sell them the motors cheapest simple economics.

Art

That's probably the biggest factor. I've seen enough guys doing the 1,2,3...101,102 pulls or running the starter til the batteries dead with black anchors. Obviously some is due to no/lack of maintenance. My Honda ran without a hiccup for 16 years and then needed some gasket work and a thermostat. The mechanic that did it was amazed at the inner workings, still like new, almost no wear. That motor is in the garage and waiting for one of the boys to get a boat. I wanted to get another larger Honda(40) but the dealer I used before seemed to be having more interest in goofing around with his buddies in the shop. I went to the local Yamaha dealer, appropriately welcomed, clued into the brand differences and bought the same size 40HP for about $1000 less than Honda with better features. The electronic idle/troll control was one of the features Honda didn't have nor did the Honda 40 come in a tiller model, it's an accessory. Reliability was excellent with the Honda, unfortunately they are falling behind with the upgrades. Hopefully this Yamaha will keep me happy as long as the Honda did.

I'm sure you'll be happy Fisherman. Good buy for sure. My hunting partner bought a 40 yammy tiller 2 years ago and I'm in love with it.

I have a yamaha built mariner 40, and like your Honda, it's been bulletproof for the last 20yrs, and still a great engine, but I think it's time to upgrade. Those yammies are sweeeeet!

S.

In 2013 I went from this 22 year old Merc 90 two stroke that I bought new in 1991.

Boat2.jpg

To this 2013 Merc 115 four stroke. :D

P6070125_zps61feef5a.jpg

Gotta say that I love the fuel injection and how nicely this engine runs compared to the old carburated motors do.

Starts easier in freezing temps too. ;)

Oh, and the gas mileage is awesome as well as the Smartcraft gauges with troll control. B)

Mercury or Yamaha, Chevy or Honda the debate never ends. I don't know anyone that invests thousands in any consumer product and admit they hate it and made a mistake choosing it. We never want to admit a mistake.

Can anyone tell me what BRP stands for? I can't find what that acronym means even on their corporate site. Did I hate I hate acronyms LTP.

I'm sure you'll be happy Fisherman. Good buy for sure. My hunting partner bought a 40 yammy tiller 2 years ago and I'm in love with it.

S.

I bought the same motor.. never a hiccup and couldn't be happier. So quiet too.

Bombardier Recreational Products

Grazia Roy,

I knew you would know. So are they tied to Canada or is Bombardier owned offshore now as well? I don't get out much you know, and if it wasn't in our weekly paper out here from Caledonia (the Dunnville paper shut down) before I went back online last year I wouldn't have heard anything. The Hamilton Spectator only covers Toronto news now.

Thanks Roy. Keep up the great work.

Mercury or Yamaha, Chevy or Honda the debate never ends. I don't know anyone that invests thousands in any consumer product and admit they hate it and made a mistake choosing it. We never want to admit a mistake.

Can anyone tell me what BRP stands for? I can't find what that acronym means even on their corporate site. Did I hate I hate acronyms LTP.

Untrue. I once owned an arctic cat ATV. It was the worlds biggest piece of crap, and I was happy to tell anyone that'd listen!