What do you do to prep for 'storms'

Entropy

Other than buying minows and beer, what do you to prepare for winter storms?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/rain-freezing-rain-ice-pellets-or-snow-wintry-mix-threatens-holiday-plans-in-ontario-this-weekend/18029/

The one comment relates Sunday's freezing rain potential to that of the Quebec Ice Storm of 1998. I know it is just fear mongering, but it makes you think, eh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQdn2pOOwvU

Entropy

I have a 6500 watt generator that will run my whole house if necessary (but it is noisy so we only run it for short periods) but we fill our bathtub with water for flushing toilets, make sure we have plenty of drinking water on hand and gather up all our solar lights that we use in the summer and make sure they are all charged up to use in place of candles. We have a gas fire place down stairs and a gas range in the kitchen so heating and eating are no problem.

I also make sure my boat batteries are all charged up so I can hook an inverter to them if necessary, I don't like running my computer off the generator simply because the voltage out put on it isn't very stable, it might be fine but I don't want to take the chance.

We do have storm lanterns that we can use too if we do need them and plenty of food in the freezer. We could survive quite comfortably for a week or two if we had to then it would be a matter of finding more gas for the generator.

Low to mid 40's here starting tomorrow, and rain until Sunday. I can see where you folks a bit farther north might have a problem.

No minnows or beer for me! Coffee and Sardines? My son and I finally got around to fixing the door on the wood burner last night, just in time for warmer weather! LOL

A rick and a half of wood in the garage, more covered outside.

We have plenty of food and water, flashlights, lanterns, I don't go anywhere anyhow and my son is smart enough to stay home if it is bad.

10 KW permanent stand-by generator wired directly into the house that'll run everything I need, 1500 litre propane tank, propane stove for cooking, propane furnace, air tight wood stove downstairs in the family room with 3 cords of wood to feed it, propane fireplace in the living room and enough vittles to last till springtime.

Also a well tuned snowblower with 5 gallons of gas.

I'm all set for whatever Mother Natures throws at us.

Edited by lew

I have a 6500 watt generator that will run my whole house if necessary (but it is noisy so we only run it for short periods) but we fill our bathtub with water for flushing toilets, make sure we have plenty of drinking water on hand and gather up all our solar lights that we use in the summer and make sure they are all charged up to use in place of candles. We have a gas fire place down stairs and a gas range in the kitchen so heating and eating are no problem.

I also make sure my boat batteries are all charged up so I can hook an inverter to them if necessary, I don't like running my computer off the generator simply because the voltage out put on it isn't very stable, it might be fine but I don't want to take the chance.

We do have storm lanterns that we can use too if we do need them and plenty of food in the freezer. We could survive quite comfortably for a week or two if we had to then it would be a matter of finding more gas for the generator.

Cliff, run the genny power through a UPS(not the guy in the brown truck, he might dance funny), they clean the power up to make it like commercial power.

I'm definitely not prepared enough in terms of canned food, but I have plenty of firewood for the fireplace and a natural gas bbq with sideburner for cooking. I know where my camping gear is for the coleman lamps and the big ol' maglite is always next to the bed (doubles as my intruder beat down stick too lol). Always have some extra gas in the garage for snowblower or car.

Plan A-Head to Cliff's

Plan B-

10 KW permanent stand-by generator wired directly into the house that'll run everything I need, 1500 litre propane tank, propane stove for cooking, propane furnace, air tight wood stove downstairs in the family room with 3 cords of wood to feed it, propane fireplace in the living room and enough vittles to last till springtime.

Also a well tuned snowblower with 5 gallons of gas.

I'm all set for whatever Mother Natures throws at us.

Edited by pikeslayer

Very good topic. I did an inventory of "survival equipment" after reading your posts. I have listed them below - items ready to be put into action if necessary.

1 - airtight wood stove in the basement along with 4 cords of dry wood

2 - coleman cook stove & coleman lantern - fuel for both

3 - natural gas BBQ for cooking

4 - candles, waterproof matches, approximately 7 flashlights

5 - 600 watt motomaster eliminator power inverter

6 - Mr. Heater Buddy & several 1lb propane bottles

7 - Propane heater that attaches to a 20 lb propane bottle - (just filled the bottle yesterday!)

8 - 2 deep cycle batteries, 2 different inverters. Do you guys know what size of inverter I need to power my sump pump?

9 - brand new zippo lighter

10 - 2 brand new zippo hand warmers (the metal type u fill with lighter fluid). I just purchased them for the upcoming hard water season.

11 - 2012 Polaris atv, filled with gas - ready for an emergency run to the beer store!!

Raf I have a sump & deep cycle batteries. What type of inverter do I need to power my sump in an emergency? Thanx

Look on the tag and see if it lists the amp draw of the sump pump. take that number and multiply it by 120 volts then multiply it by 1.5 the final # is the watts needed to start and run the sump pump. I personally would not go the battery route because they need to always be charged and the amount of energy they store is finite. Most systems that run a battery sump pump find that they ignore them till they don't work. Take the same watts formula and buy a small generator then you can rotate it from the sump to the freezer or other appliance and keep more than one item running. The smaller units are quieter and use less gas than the bigger ones so the impact on the neighbors is minimum.

Art