question- how to keep critters out when storing stuff outdoors? NF

chris.brock

I remember reading a previous post about this, I remember thinking "wow, some great tips", I can't remember what the tips were and can't find the old post

anyways, storing a sled for the summer or a boat for the winter, what are some good things to stash in there to keep deer mice and other stuff out? moth balls?

thanks,

Chris

I remember reading a previous post about this, I remember thinking "wow, some great tips", I can't remember what the tips were and can't find the old post

anyways, storing a sled for the summer or a boat for the winter, what are some good things to stash in there to keep deer mice and other stuff out? moth balls?

thanks,

Chris

I've used moth balls for over 5 years. Nothing that I can tell has attempted to get in my boat. I'm in a squirrel infested area as well.lol.

A pal uses Irish Spring soap, I use moth balls. The cat sleeps in the boat under the shrink wrap. This her it not going to be here so moth balls and Irish Spring. I'm going to get a box of dryer sheets and put the moth balls and soap on them. With the cost of electrical and leather repairs one can't be too careful.

A pal uses Irish Spring soap, I use moth balls. The cat sleeps in the boat under the shrink wrap. This her it not going to be here so moth balls and Irish Spring. I'm going to get a box of dryer sheets and put the moth balls and soap on them. With the cost of electrical and leather repairs one can't be too careful.

exactly, for the piece of mind, I am going to put a little bit of everything recommended in there, hopefully there isn't a chemical reaction and explosion (Hahaha)

I always give the boat a good vacuum and clean out before putting it away. I've never added anything to the boat to keep the critters out until I saw that thread you were talking about Chris. Never had a problem with critters other then a couple of the neighbourhood cats that probably kept the mice away. :) I now put the Bounce sheets throughout the boat and don't even get the cats anymore.

I used moth balls last year and found about 10 mice droppings when I uncovered my boat in spring. Looks like they went in and left.

The replies on this topic vary a lot.. mice are pretty adaptable, not sure of any sure bet method that would keep them away if they're abundant. Control the population, clean your boat well before storage and try to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible with some deterring scent