Met a guy today who said he eats the musky he catches. ....

Tjames09

We were looking at some waterfront cottages and one cottage we looked at the owner was there and started talking about how many musky he catches in sturgeon lake. He then went on to say how he loves the taste of musky meat and keeps them. I kindly reminded him the limit is one and over 40". He quickly replied with oh theyre all over that size.....guess that's why I only catch small musky in sturgeon lake now

Whether we agree with it or not he is well within his right to do it if he so chooses. I bet he is in his late 70's or in his early 80's at least. If we strongly believe that some gamefish such as the revered Muskellunge should never be kept such as the Sturgeon is now we have the democratic right to lobby to have the legislations changed through our Parliamentary assembly to reflect our beliefs. I really don't think that amendment to our regs. would come with a large outcry from the public.

I have an old grainy black and white photo of my wife's Grandmother standing in front of a stringer, not 1 fish a rope of 4 large Sturgeon caught here in Ontario. Most likely taken sometime in the 40's. Prior to the end of WW2 and really through to the 80's throwing back a fish was a waste. You caught it you ate it or gave it to someone that needed it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I catch lots of big musky in sturg. I'd bet my paycheck that more musky are killed by releasing them.

S.

This ^. I have caught and released hundreds of Smallies here on our beach in the last 21 years. Unfortunately many of the larger fish can be found on the beach that day or next day. If we do fish from shore now, even in the boat I have upped the tackle for the last many years to bring them in and released ASAP.

We were looking at some waterfront cottages and one cottage we looked at the owner was there and started talking about how many musky he catches in sturgeon lake. He then went on to say how he loves the taste of musky meat and keeps them. I kindly reminded him the limit is one and over 40". He quickly replied with oh theyre all over that size.....guess that's why I only catch small musky in sturgeon lake now

And your point is? He is allowed to keep what ever he wants as long as it's legal,who are you to criticize what he keeps.

And your point is? He is allowed to keep what ever he wants as long as it's legal,who are you to criticize what he keeps.

He is a Canadian and it his right to criticize whomever he wants to. It's called an opinion, you also have the right to disagree. Not a good way to start a good neighbourly relationship though. Talking to prospective neighbours is important when buying residential property. Hopefully you meet the Gladys Kravits of the hood and he or she gives you the lowdown on the entire neighbourhood.

I caught my 1st musky about a bazillion years ago and killed it, ate it and then had it mounted.

Always regretted doing it but that's just the way it was done back in the day

be602162-5242-49dd-bbae-a473e2406be5.jpg

The MNR put musky in our Haliburton bass/walleye lake years ago, none of the cottagers that we knew who fished were happy with that decision, everybody kept them and ate them for a few years , not bad eating actually, then dad sold the place so I don't how well the extermination program went.

Edit: Dad would go ballistic if he knew that damned jackfish and hammerhandles had invaded Haliburton.

Edited by dave524

guys no need to bash TJames here haha holy crap

did you not read his comment where he told the guy the possession size and buddy replied that all of the musky he catches are over that size? lmao come on now...dude is clearly keeping and eating undersized illegal musky...thats the point here...he told the guy the regs and the guy shook him off.

lmao come on now...dude is clearly keeping and eating undersized illegal musky..

Really? That's a serious accusation that you have zero proof of.

The guy acknowledged his fish were "over 40" after being "kindly reminded". Does this make him a liar because he didn't include this in his conversation prior?? Hardly think so.

Really? That's a serious accusation that you have zero proof of.

The guy acknowledged his fish were "over 40" after being "kindly reminded". Does this make him a liar because he didn't include this in his conversation prior?? Hardly think so.

it sounded more like "all musky are over 40 inches" rather than "all of the musky I eat are over 40 inches"

Valid Dax!

I've seen, caught, landed and been the net man to some bigin's in that lake ALL while walleye or bass fishing. Target them and it's a white stripe's down the back sort of day (for me).

Tj, pm me if ya want some info that I'd share via msg with you

The legal minimum size to keep one Muskie pr day in FMZ 17 is 44"

Another example of why we should have a basic test to prove you can read and understand the regs before you get your fishing license.

Thought it was 44" too. Thanks

Edited by captpierre

lmao on all of this. maybe the fella should go to Wal-Mart. buy some basa with them worms in them. their a complete combo meal. fresh meat and fish... then he wont spend thousands on musky gear..better yet he wont need to go to dollarama and buy a 4 knockoff shimano fillet knife. a win win.

lmao on all of this. maybe the fella should go to Wal-Mart. buy some basa with them worms in them. their a complete combo meal. fresh meat and fish... then he wont spend thousands on musky gear..better yet he wont need to go to dollarama and buy a 4 knockoff shimano fillet knife. a win win.

I dont care about the musky, but would like to know about this KNOCK OFF comment. LOL

They are GENUINE . LMAO

Hey Lew, Great pic bud.

I guess if all you can catch is Muskie.

A 50 liber would take a bit of eating. Maybe have family over for that one.

A slot limit, including a size suitable for the table , like maybe 24 to 30 inches. would help this situation in addition to the large, suitable for mounting, trophy size limit.

If Beans reads this maybe he will chime in as well.

Him and I where carp fishing at our spot on Sturgeon and a lady who walked her dogs everyday and always came and chatted showed up and the topic turned to Muskie. She said she didn't like them herself...but if she caught any she kept them and fed them to her dogs. :tease::tease::tease:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

If Beans reads this maybe he will chime in as well.

Him and I where carp fishing at our spot on Sturgeon and a lady who walked her dogs everyday and always came and chatted showed up and the topic turned to Muskie. She said she didn't like them herself...but if she caught any she kept them and fed them to her dogs. :tease::tease::tease:

Oh Yeh...I remember that...Damned if I can remember her name (it' me age don't you know)(Jack's favorite saying) I see her van at Buckeye Motel sometimes...I'm glad she didn't see me catch that muskie on corn...She might have wanted it...LOL

Edited by Beans