boat distance etiquette.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I don't understand how some people figure its ok to encroach on where you are fishing just because they see you catching fish.

This was the other night at a very popular local spot. Just the two boats out there, mine and his. He saw my son and myself catching fish after fish and just came right over within feet of our boat, did not say much and just hung around. Even my son whispered to me "Dad? What is he so close for". The guys boat was Ontario registered also, so not always are friends south of the border who think this is ok.

R U KIDDIN' ME?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150826879@N02/6wYH5K

Edited by limeyangler

Agreed

But your photo doesn't show up

The US tourists can and will be as bad as Canadians

I haven't experienced it often on softwater, but it can be brutal ice fishing

If I can cast and hit your boat you're way too close

Edited by manitoubass2

I have run into this often up here where I fish. I usually just say Ah excuse me sir, do me a favor and go fish somewhere else. I have only had to repeat myself once to a guy with his big shiney bassboat but he moved on. Its quite funny because they act so surprised when you tell them but they all move on.

Happens all the time on a lake the size of a European country, especially fishing for Perch. And nationality plays no part in it, ignorance knows no border. If you are close enough that I can light your cigar for you it's too close. Now if it happened to be a boat full of young nubile Bikini clad lassies, be my guest. 30 years ago of course.

It's not just fisher people that do this kind of dumb stuff.

I'll park my 50 Chevy at the far end of a parking lot; no other cars around me. Come out from wherever I was and find another car parked so close to me; that I've had to get in through the passenger side.

Dan.

wow that is really close....id probably have said something. I dont mind if someone comes close but they are trolling past or moving quickly, and Im parked kind of in there trolling line, or vice versa. But to sort of just setup next to someone..........

Couldn't begin to count the number of times this has happened to me. On the ice, in the boat... or especially fishing from shore. Sometimes I say something....but mostly I don't. My experience has largely been that these type of people are generally never very good anglers. So after a couple of minutes of little or no success they get impatient and move on to go try and catch fish 2 feet from someone else.

It happens all the time man and yeah my kids have asked me too why they are so close. And that was many years ago and my youngest is only 10. I always keep a rod rigged with a heavy lure on it to ping off the side when too close. If I'm solo I WILL say something

Had this happen to me more times than I care to talk about. It is even worse now when they zoom past you where you are fishing within casting range and then give a wave hello. A friend of mine and I we talked about this a couple of times and it seems like common sense and etiquette is out the window.

You would think that on a lake that size they'd be able find enough room to spread out a little.

You wouldn't believe how many times it's happened to me on ERIE! I'm talking about +3kms out in 30-40 FOW too. Last weekend it was 3 guys in a Crestliner and they were so close I could listen to their conversation. I fired up the outboard and blasted out of there to another waypoint about 2 kms away. Guess who pulled up 15 mins later? It's a joke...I can't believe guys aren't embarrassed to do that.

That's a little too close. Im sure if he struck up a conversation and asked if it was okay to share the water you would have been fine with that . Probably even offered advise on what they are biting. A little politeness goes a long way.