Early ice fishing season this winter??

huzzsaba

So with all the talks about a harsher winter, are we expecting earlier ice fishing season? I sure hope so because the wife has banned me from ice fishing unless the ice is more than 12 inches thick. I don't blame her. Last year, with 10 inches of ice mid february, and ice still forming, we rented a hut on cooks bay. halfway through the day, we felt the ice shift (like a earthquake). Not fun IMO :( .

Hopefully we have a winter like 2 winters ago. more than 30 inches of ice!

My wife doesnt ban me from anything....especially icefishing....she begs me to take her!!

Ice shifting is actaully a good thing. Its a sign that the ice is getting thicker and expanding.

I have ice fished simcoe on Dec. 8th before. Lets hope this year is a repeat.

S.

My wife doesnt ban me from anything....especially icefishing....she begs me to take her!!

Ice shifting is actaully a good thing. Its a sign that the ice is getting thicker and expanding.

I have ice fished simcoe on Dec. 8th before. Lets hope this year is a repeat.

S.

Yup!! One year we were out on the laker grounds miles out and around lunch a large pressure ridge formed by the shore.

When it let go the hut jumped in the air and a fountain of water shot out of the hole!!!

The outfitter had to drop us off at the ridge and we had to climb over the 20' wall of ice to get back to our vehicles. :)

LOL @ 30 inches of ice, I can't even imagine that.

3 years ago Simcoe had that pretty much as a norm.

The sooner Im on my white fish grounds, the happier my belly will be.

Bring it I say. Sooner the better.

I,ll also have eyes at the back of my head, burning through those that follow. LOL

Unless it gets really cold in November I don't see any early ice this year. The water temperatures are fairly warm still.. a harsh winter can occur because of the lake effect snow magnified by warm water..20 degrees over the next few days..

Unless it gets really cold in November I don't see any early ice this year. The water temperatures are fairly warm still.. a harsh winter can occur because of the lake effect snow magnified by warm water..20 degrees over the next few days..

I dont see it happening either. The ducks haven't even started to really migrate yet. That is always a very good indication.

I have icefished scugog in early november a few times, but its not gonna happen this year.

S.

3 years ago Simcoe had that pretty much as a norm.

The sooner Im on my white fish grounds, the happier my belly will be.

Bring it I say. Sooner the better.

I,ll also have eyes at the back of my head, burning through those that follow. LOL

Outside of the regular crowd that wanders onto Lake Erie here in the winter you really don't see many people ice fishing here. I doubt that even in the bad winters of the later 1970's any of our lakes saw 30 inches of ice.

One of my cousins went thru the ice when I was young and died, and a couple of my buddies that ice fished have fallen thru, but lived. Not something I ever had enough interest in to try, I worked in the ice, cold, and snow, winter was reel cleaning time!

Lets not rush things, all summer I have been working on land clearing and then getting the bunkie ready so I have not fished at all.

Last week was the first time out chasing some steelhead and I plan on doing a lot more of that hopefully :D all we need is some darn rain to raise the rivers as they are so so low.

FLEX - John

Define 'bad'!! :)

LOL, Ohio bad and Ontario bad have different meanings! The winter of 78-79? A state highway near me had snow piled up alongside the road as high as the windows on an 18 wheeler, the only time I have seen it that bad in my area.

There was also a lot of fish kills here that year in area lakes and ponds because of the ice and snow on them!

I remember a couple of Ontario camp owners showing me pictures of their winter wonderlands! LOL