Fishing in a Thunderstorm

captpierre

Out of curiosity does anyone personally know anyone that's been stuck by lightning in a boat?

Cause I've been out in them in my younger days and I've fished near TV towers... Lighthouses... Channel buoys.... Ships... Etc...

I've never seen lightning hit anything on the water... Not have I heard of lightning hitting a boat...

I have seen it hit the water itself

I think there was a sail boat hit by lightning during a race on Lake Ontario. That was at least 20 years ago.

I guess it doesn't happen very often. The question is: is it rare because boats tend to get off the lake; or, it is rare because boats are not a prime target?

Years ago my wife and I were fishing Quinte and there were storms in the distance. I figured I had a bit of time before they arrived but when her hair stood on up and her rod tip buzzed I figured we better high tail it to shore...

We get a fair amount of tornados and big storms here.

Ive seen lightning strike trees etc.

My grandma was struck by lightning inside her house(through a window) but survived albeit alot of damage.

Gnarliest ive seen though was a farm outside bemidgi and they had a big propane tank get struck during a big tornado. That place was toast.

I will not take the chance as I've almost been hit (fishing, golfing and inside a house). When it hit the house it blew up the chimney, all electronic devises that were on, hit the patio on the other side of the sliding glass door I was in front of and it launched me a good 14" across the floor on my back. Not interested in being a human lightning rod here...

I will not take the chance as I've almost been hit (fishing, golfing and inside a house). When it hit the house it blew up the chimney, all electronic devises that were on, hit the patio on the other side of the sliding glass door I was in front of and it launched me a good 14" across the floor on my back. Not interested in being a human lightning rod here...

Thats gnarly!

Some people fail to realize that lightning can come in a variety of strenght.

Anyone remember that football game where all you could see was the flash and most the players on the field dropped like flies?

I seen a lightning bolt hit a channel bouy in the river right in bobcaygeon,and then bounced 60 feet and hit a door on a wooden boathouse and caught it on fire...I swear I was half blinded for a day or so after it was less than an 1/8 of a mile away when it happened....scared the crap outta me

I got caught in 2 separate instances that were way too close, long before smart phones and radar weather reports on the internet

Bass tournament on Rice lake back in the early 90's. VHF weather report called for some clouds and light rain in the afternoon but just after lunch a monster of a black cloud came crashing through the west end of the lake. So lucky to be up the otonabee river and took refuge on the docks of the old Blackthorn lodge. The lightening was crashing all around us and there was no gap between flashes and the huge boomers. Static electricity in the air was messing around with the spools of line on the dash of the boat and the tag ends were straight up in the air and flipping around on their own.

Way back in my twenty's was fishing on the break wall at port credit in the spring and a good storm was brewing out on the lake. All the boats were bee lining back into the harbor as this storm rolled north. The rods started to buzz in your hands and you could here small snaps and clicks in the line as the static built up and then discharged when reeling in. I went back to the car and sat there as the storm rolled in. Huge boomers and hail went through for about 10 minutes

When you hear thunder it's time to go - this happened two years ago - I was cutting grass in a field next to my house and I could hear thunder on the other side of the mountain - on my side of the mountain the sky was clear and the sun was shining - I go into the house to get a bite to eat - no sooner I'm in the house I hear this explosion - lightning hit a pine tree located at the edge of the field - split the tree in half and knocked it over - this happened while the sun was still shining - so if there is a storm anywhere near you to a point where you can hear the thunder get off the water

Fishing in the rain no problem fishing in a thunder storm not if I can help it. I have been on a stretch of the river that is about a mile wide and stuck to the middle rather than run for shore near trees. The boat has a 3ft draft and beaching it is not possible.

Art