Urban coyote, this may be hard to look at for some. Viewer discretion is advised. Keep your pets safe.

Barry Willis

This is a video I took still photos of off the TV.  The lady didn't realize it was a coyote. A good dose of bear spray would have prevented this. The coyote even returned to try again. Thank fully the little guy survived but it was a very long and painful process. And you can be sure he went through Hell and he will never forget it. I don't know about the eastern cities but this is happening all too frequently out west here. Coyotes even approaching  and circling people that don't have a dog with them. I'm sure most of you are aware of this, just a reminder if there are coyotes in your area. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to your dog if he becomes alert of something. It could be a squirrel, a cat, or worse. 

DSCN0880.JPG

DSCN0882.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0885.JPG

DSCN0887.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Coyotes circling people?  I dunno man, there are a lot of coyotes around here and they are pretty hard to even get a glimpse at before they disappear.   

Not here in Hamilton, they're highly visible, even in mid day in many high traffic areas. I myself have been followed by them when walking my dog.
Where my daughter works (west Hamilton) they're often seen following dog walkers in broad daylight, in fact she was just telling me of a close encounter yesterday morning where the dog owner said she's often followed by Coyotes when walking her (large) dog.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Not here in Hamilton, they're highly visible, even in mid day in many high traffic areas. I myself have been followed by them when walking my dog.
Where my daughter works (west Hamilton) they're often seen following dog walkers in broad daylight, in fact she was just telling me of a close encounter yesterday morning where the dog owner said she's often followed by Coyotes when walking her (large) dog.

That's wild man! I guess the coyotes out here are still 'wild' per say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spiel said:

Same in Oakville. A pair come strutting down the sidewalk in front of my house every day at 7 am like clockwork, for over a year now. Must be making/marking the rounds of their territory. 

They have occasionly followed me at a distance (50 to 100ft) when I'm walking my dog. I don't think they want to eat my Pointer, it just seems like they're curious about a fellow canine. If my dog gives them a little growl or I turn around and say "boo" they bolt away with their tail tucked between their legs.

My understanding is when there have been interactions with domestic (pet) dogs, it's more of an aggressive/dominance behavior...like two alpha dogs fighting...rather than the Coyote looking for a meal.

Just part of the local urban wildlife scene now. They apparently do a good job of keeping the local rodent population controlled. My buddy that owns a restaurant up the street, says he no longer sees many rats in the dumpsters behind his strip mall. 

They're just like Raccoons without the mask...they've also taken over the cleaning up the curbside garbage role.

There's little old ladies with their Yorkies and Chihuahuas in the neighborhood who get freaked out when they see them...but in my opinion, they're harmless.

There was only one instance of a person being bit by a Coyote last year in Ontario...someone was regularly feeding it, so it lost its fear of humans. Meanwhile, there were over 5000 dog bites that required a visit to Emergency last year in the Province. I assess my risk accordingly.

20221219_144835.jpg

20221214_134630.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

I live in the country with a lake in front of me, woods behind me and I'm pretty much surrounded by farms yet coyotes are about the most rare of all the critters around here, infact I've been here 15 years and have only seen 4 coyotes total. I do sometimes hear them howling off in the distance very early in the mornings but that's it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Same in Oakville. A pair come strutting down the sidewalk in front of my house every day at 7 am like clockwork, for over a year now. Must be making/marking the rounds of their territory. 

They have occasionly followed me at a distance (50 to 100ft) when I'm walking my dog. I don't think they want to eat my Pointer, it just seems like they're curious about a fellow canine. If my dog gives them a little growl or I turn around and say "boo" they bolt away with their tail tucked between their legs.

My understanding is when there have been interactions with domestic (pet) dogs, it's more of an aggressive/dominance behavior...like two alpha dogs fighting...rather than the Coyote looking for a meal.

Just part of the local urban wildlife scene now. They apparently do a good job of keeping the local rodent population controlled. My buddy that owns a restaurant up the street, says he no longer sees many rats in the dumpsters behind his strip mall. 

They're just like Raccoons without the mask...they've also taken over the cleaning up the curbside garbage role.

There's little old ladies with their Yorkies and Chihuahuas in the neighborhood who get freaked out when they see them...but in my opinion, they're harmless.

There was only one instance of a person being bit by a Coyote last year in Ontario...someone was regularly feeding it, so it lost its fear of humans. Meanwhile, there were over 5000 dog bites that required a visit to Emergency last year in the Province. I assess my risk accordingly.

20221219_144835.jpg

20221214_134630.jpg

51 minutes ago, BillM said:

That poor guy has some serious mange.

Definitely mange going around in a lot of them I see in town. Might be nature's way of keeping the population density under control.

I agree with you about "rural" Coyotes. Up here at my cottage in Frontenac, they're like ghosts. We hear them howling at night, but if you do see one it's always at a distance...usually further than the lethal range of a .223. Perhaps that's why...

• Like 3

they roam my yard mid day too in town. As far as im concerned, they are free pest control. 

They recently caught a red squirrel at 2am on my front lawn. The noise they made as they fought over the meal scared the bejesus out of us as it was literally 15 feet from our bedroom window, however another red squirrel dead is great as far as I am concerned. Free vermin removal.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4

They may seem and be harmless there but as you can see by the picks, not the case here. This is just one of many incidents out here. 

I had another video also on the local news from a door bell camera across the street where a coyote followed a lady out for a walk right up the steps to the front door. The coyote was obviously at a distance behind her as she managed to get her door unlocked and inside.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lew said:

I live in the country with a lake in front of me, woods behind me and I'm pretty much surrounded by farms yet coyotes are about the most rare of all the critters around here, infact I've been here 15 years and have only seen 4 coyotes total. I do sometimes hear them howling off in the distance very early in the mornings but that's it.

Same as where I grew up Lew. Very much like wolves you would seldom if ever see one.

16 minutes ago, Barry Willis said:

They may seem and be harmless there but as you can see by the picks, not the case here. This is just one of many incidents out here. 

I had another video also on the local news from a door bell camera across the street where a coyote followed a lady out for a walk right up the steps to the front door. The coyote was obviously at a distance behind her as she managed to get her door unlocked and inside.

The media always overblows the actual risk. I personally don't consider a Coyote following you at a distance very newsworthy. But creating "fear" keeps the eyeballs tuned to the channel. Jeez...I'd be on the news a dozen times already.

Like all Canines, from my experience they seem naturally curious...and often they're being fed by misguided "animal lovers", so they start associating humans with a free handout. However, actual attacks on humans are extremely rare.

The most dangerous animal in Canada is the Moose...kills more people than any other critter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Willis said:

Same as where I grew up Lew. Very much like wolves you would seldom if ever see one.

The media always overblows the actual risk. I personally don't consider a Coyote following you at a distance very newsworthy. But creating "fear" keeps the eyeballs tuned to the channel. Jeez...I'd be on the news a dozen times already.

Like all Canines, from my experience they seem naturally curious...and often they're being fed by misguided "animal lovers", so they start associating humans with a free handout. However, actual attacks on humans are extremely rare.

The most dangerous animal in Canada is the Moose...kills more people than any other critter.

Yes you are right, actual attacks on humans by a coyote is extremely rare, pretty much unheard of. As far as moose moose killing more people than any other critter is a result of vehicle collisions with one. 

• Like 1

I was walking along a dirt road up at Nipissing a few years back and this big girl walked right up to me. I got the impression she was just curious about me as this road didn't carry too much traffic.

c009cfe0-994f-41ce-a237-6b0ecd1cebc3.webp.4ead2d8c5462a452fac25f94cd933190.webp

Edited by lew
  • Like 1