New electricity rates

Tomcat

Received notification today of new electricity rates effective 1 Nov 2015 for households and small businesses:

Off-peak will be 8.3 cents/kWh

Mid-peak will be 12.8 cents/kWh

On-peak will be 17.5 cents/kWh

Rates effective 1 Nov 2013 (just 2 years ago) were:

Off- peak was 7.2 cents/kWh

Mid-peak was 10.9 cents/kWh

On-peak was 12.9 cents/kWh

These new prices represent the following percentage increases since 1 Nov 2013:

Off-peak 15.3%

Mid-peak 17.4%

On-peak 35.6%

Not sure whom to blame but I'm sure thinking about it!

That's our government, and us Canadians just sit'n back and take it. Well, we complain about it on a fishing forum. I am not a big US fan but I have to say this crap would not go over well south of the boarder. That I know. Hydro, groceries, natural gas, fuel, merchandise, beer, liquor, fishing tackle, boats, cars, truck, taxes, dog food.... I guess we will just sit back and take. I'm sure the ceo of the hydro company will get a nice bonus out of this.

If you have a "seasonal" place the hydro rate is on peak all the time even with a smart meter. They apply a formula to my bill to wipe out any savings on off or mid peak times. My "seasonal" place is located among residential properties and Hydro One will not give me residential rates unless I prove to them I live there. Another rip off!

The government has your best interest at heart ,

They are here to provide you the best "service"

I was totally confused when I hear the word 'Service' used with these agencies:

Internal Revenue 'Service'

Postal 'Service'

Telephone'Service'

Hydro service,

Cable TV 'Service'

Civil 'Service'

Federal 'Service'

Provencial 'Service'

City 'Service'

Public 'Service'

Customer 'Service'

This is NOT what I thought 'Service' meant.

But today, I overheard two farmers talking, and one of them said he had hired a bull to 'Service' a few cows.

BAM!!! It all came into focus... Now I understand what all those agencies are doing to us...

You are now as enlightened as I am

Great. It doesn't really help me to try and save either. I can't get my usage any lower, the delivery + charges are more than my actual usage.

I wish one political party would come in and say the rates would be reduced if I was voted in. Not going to happen though.

I wish one political party would come in and say the rates would be reduced if I was voted in. Not going to happen though.

Isn't that how we got in this mess in the first place? For years we got our power at an artificially low, subsidized rate. Now we are paying for the past.

Isn't that how we got in this mess in the first place? For years we got our power at an artificially low, subsidized rate. Now we are paying for the past.

Well, we are paying for the past through the debt reduction charge, but we are also paying for the green initiative and the exorbinate price tag associated with it. We are also paying other jurisdictions to take our "extra power" . How on gods green earth is it that we are paying New York State to take our power.

I've said this before, but why are individual households subsidising industry's electricity costs. "On Peak" is the result of businesses using hydro to run their business. Should they then should the lion's share of the cost vs individual home owners? Does this wonderful government expect me to cook dinner on my electric stove at 9:00 at night. Should all my weekend time be devoted to laundry so I can afford the run my appliances.

It's a mockery of a travisty. Did anyone else notice on the news recently that Canadians pay the highest monthly charges for cell phone? Transit costs near the top of the world as well. It's not like we get "world class" service from any of these goevernment insitutions.

Somethings going to give and it aint gonna be pretty.

HH

With this increase I'll see quadruple digit hydro bills this winter. Yes I heat electric and yes there's a conversion to propane or pellet in my near future.

Well, we are paying for the past through the debt reduction charge, but we are also paying for the green initiative and the exorbinate price tag associated with it. We are also paying other jurisdictions to take our "extra power" . How on gods green earth is it that we are paying New York State to take our power.

I'm all for green initiatives even if it means paying a ton for electricity. I'd rather a hole be burned in my wallet than in the atmosphere.

The main reason hydro is expensive is that the company providing it has a monopoly, and it's a public institution.

Now excuse me while I go vomit at the thought of this price hike.

Edit: we also need to build more nuclear plants and stop relying on power dams which are destroying the north.

Edited by Sterling

Dave542 I think some of the other guys pointed out a few interesting things. I remember a while ago they canned a women, I think her name was Cletheroe or something like that. She walked away with something like $6 million. Where do you get fired and set up for life at the same time?

Anyways, the whole thing is a mess.

Well if you think you have it bad..................................you don't!!!

Up here in Yellowknife the price is 19.21 cents per KWH up to 1000KWH.

You don't want to know what it is over that.

That's not just on peak, it's every hour of every day!!!!

And our power is heavily subsidized due to the low population as well as drought issues we are having.

They are using $50,000 worth of diesel a day to get enough power because our local hydro plant doesn't have enough water to run @ full production.

Kind of makes that 8.3 cent off peak price seem pretty much free doesn't it? :whistling:

Couple thoughts.

We get pretty reliable power for about $4 per day for the average home.

Compared to a latte at Starbucks that's pretty reasonable

Try shutting your power off, especially in the winter, for a day. We are dead without it.

Are we overpaying. Probably.

From a conservation angle, people will only conserve if it hurts them in the pocketbook.

Same goes for municipal water.

We water out lawns and wash our cars with drinking water.

Still to cheap, maybe.

Just sayin.

We are all paying for the gross mismanagement of what was Ontario Hydro. As long as 30 years ago Hydro was paying secretaries more than I was making as a sales manager in manufacturing. It was never accountable and rang up a debt close to that of a small nation........My bill for July and August was $200 more than the same period in the last 10 years! They have a specific dept that is trained to handle calls from people complaining about their bill, they are trained to talk in riddles and to go around in circles until the customer either commits suicide or hangs up in frustration depending on their mental state....... :)

And they continue to build wind farms...........but that's another story!

Here's the detailed breakdown of the rates from the chart below: (before this latest increase)

Manitoba
Basic monthly Charge, $7.28
Energy Charge: 7.381¢/kWhx1000, $73.81
$7.28 + $73.81
Total $81.09 for 1000 KwH

British Colombia
Basic monthly charge, 0.16640 per day ($4.92 monthly)
Energy Charge: 7.52¢/kWhx1000, $75.20
Rate Rider 5% Rate Rider applied to all charges before taxes and levies
4.92+75.2= 80.12 + $4 (rate rider)
Total $84.12 for 1000 KwH

Saskatchewan

Basic Monthly Charge $20.22
Energy Charge: 12.346¢/KwHx1000, $123.46
$20.22 + $123.46
Total $143.68 for 1000 KwH

Hydro one
20% on peak hours, 20% on mid peak, 60% on low peak is the average
200 kwh peak,$32.2, 200 mid, $22.8, 600 low, $42, Total $97
line loss charge +$11.19
Basic Monthly Charge + $24.07
smart meter entity charge + $0.79
debt retirement +$7
regulatory charge + $5.95
delivery Charge
(distribution charge, $33.90, + transmission connection,+ $4.99, + transmission network + $7.19, + smart meter entity charge, 25 cents) Total $46.33
Total $192.33 for 1000 KwH

Quebec
Basic Monthly Charge, $12.19
Energy Charge: 5.57¢/KwHx1000, $55.70
55.70+12.19
Total $67.89 for 1000 KwH

New Brunswick

Basic Monthly Charge, $22.46
Energy Charge: 10.25 ¢/KwHx1000, 102.50
102.50 + 22.46
Total $124.96 for 1000 KwH

Nova Scotia

TOU billing
Basic Monthly Charge, $18.82
Energy Charge: break down 20 peak/20 mid/60 low
Peak=19.305¢/kWh Medium=14.947¢/kWh low=8.020¢/kWh
peak =38.60 medium= 29.89 low=48.12
38.60+29.89+48.12+18.82=135.43
Total $135.43 for 1000 KwH

Newfoundland

Basic charge, $15.68
Energy Charge: 11.178¢/KwHx1000, $111.78
15.68+111.78
Total $127.46 for 1000 KwH

PEI
Basic Monthly Charge, $22.46
Energy Rate Charge=10.25¢/KwHx1000, $102.50
$22.46+$102.50
Total $124.96 for 1000 KwH

Hydro_Rates_May_1__2015.jpg

Edited by Old Man

Dave542 I think some of the other guys pointed out a few interesting things. I remember a while ago they canned a women, I think her name was Cletheroe or something like that. She walked away with something like $6 million. Where do you get fired and set up for life at the same time?

Anyways, the whole thing is a mess.

That is standard for chief executive level positions in large companies.

In theory you have to pay the big bucks to get the top talent. Unfortunately, I don't see any evidence that they (large companies in general) are actually getting top talent.

That is standard for chief executive level positions in large companies.

In theory you have to pay the big bucks to get the top talent. Unfortunately, I don't see any evidence that they (large companies in general) are actually getting top talent.

Execs are all connected families.

They jump from government to corperate and back and forth.

Sickening really