NF - What is a reasonable commute?

grimsbylander

Like Rod Caster I am ~20 min from the office, however the job site could be anywhere within a 500 km radius, and you need to get there tuit sweet.

Last Wednesday 50 k south of parry sound, thursday gravenhurst, friday peterborough, monday tuesday Belleville. So, yah some driving is involved.

I would say that the commute could be long, but if it is easy driving it could be worth it.

Edited by HTHM

My limit would be 1 hour and it would also depend on how many years I had to do it. If it was 5 yr and then retire - ya. if it was above that I would either move or look for another job.

A buddy of mine was a commuter nut. He commuted from near London to Pt. Colbourne every day, there and back, for a year. He also had jobs near Windsor and Sarnia for various periods of time. I could never do it but he did and went through a bunch of cars.

WR

Like Rod Caster I am ~20 min from the office, however the job site could be anywhere within a 500 km radius, and you need to get there tuit sweet.

Last Wednesday 50 k south of parry sound, thursday gravenhurst, friday peterborough, monday tuesday Belleville. So, yah some driving is involved.

I would say that the commute could be long, but if it is easy driving it could be worth it.

The nice thing there is that you get paid for the long drives.

I have no problems driving as long as I'm getting paid.

I commuted 4.5 years - Barrie to TO (Airport). Pretty much on 200 KMS round trip - and let me tell you - 4.5 years was enough. I still remember the winter from - well you can guess. During a one week period I remember taking 3 to 4 hours at least to get home. There generally were two seasons - Construction and Winter on the 400.

I am fortunate now that I have work close to home (15 minutes). The difference is considerable - I am not as tired as I was, my patience level for idiot drivers has gotten better, and I am no longer prone to road rage (I did not think I was at the time, until I almost followed a guy with the idea of getting him off the road, pulling him out of the car, etc. Was a - you gotta get your head checked moment for myself).

The other thing - count all the costs - both the easy ones (gas, maintenance, etc.) and the hidden ones (your time, health, time with family, etc.). It may not be worth it - but that is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Having said that, there were some good times - back road Fridays in the summer (had a good route home - took a little longer, but I was always moving) with Fan 590 round table was great. But honestly I hope that I never had to commute again.

Markham to Barrie every day, 5 days a week = 1,000km/week and about 100 litres in fuel. But way better than when I worked downtown. I come home stress free and I've found there's actually music on the radio, not just traffic reports.

Why not just move to Barrie ?

Best move I ever did even though I had to drive south for work. Atleast I knew I had a short drive to fish and hunt on the weekends. Talk about less stress freedom. :D

The nice thing there is that you get paid for the long drives.

I have no problems driving as long as I'm getting paid.

If I didn't .....well that would just go against my frugal nature.

However us salary people don't get paid extra hours, but we do get paid when it is slow.

For years I did the 128km one way commute to live up here in bobcaygeon and drive to Ajax I did around 90,000km a year !!!! Now I'm 65km one way to work so it's awesome now !!!! 600km a week as opposed to 1,200-1,300km a week !!!! And it's always worth it to be out of the city

Man I feel lucky I hated my 20 minute door to door commute from Washington to Kitchener. Now I'm under 5 minutes from work but they keep talking about moving 1/2 an hour away to be closer to the 401. Good thing they are so slow at these things.

Edited by Musky or Specks

When I was young and full of vineger, I use to commute from Cobourg to Hamilton. Did that for 6 months, discovered that only sleeping for 4 hours a day kinda took a toll on my weekends. Some days I would just sleep in my truck in the parking lot. Decided to rent an apartment. After the one year lease was over, I quit my job and found something with half the pay right in my home town. Cheaper in the long run. The reason for doing it in the first place was because of the job offer. The pay was just insane! Reality kicked in and I discovered there was more to life than work.

I don't know what what your situation is Grimsbylander. I would hate a 80km commute in traffic. If I found myself in that situation I would be looking for a new job. It's easier to find a job when you have one.

A fellow I use to know had a long commute and he would get the (don't know the correct name) books that are on discs from the library and would listen to then on the drive. Not sure if this is a good idea, I might get to distracted and not focus on the driving.

I lost my job of 20 years and when I was looking the commute was part of the equation. An hours drive to Peterborough would be OK but an hour in Toronto traffic wasn't. Fortunately my new job is 20km down the road. There's a couple of different routes I can take to change up the scenery and adjust for weather road conditions.

i do 104km a day - but that inclues driving wife to work and picking her up on the way home.

i work in west mississauga (more oakville/miss border) - live in Hamilton.

I've been offered much more to work in downtown toronto....walking distance from union station.

i've politely declined each time.....i don't want my 45 minute (one way) commute to turn into a 1.5 hour commute each way --- and be a slave to the train.

Edited by Steve