Anybody hearing Frostquakes ??

lew

Couple weeks back when it was quite cold out I heard a few very loud bangs but didn't think too much about it and just figured it was the house groaning with the cold. This morning was -28 and and I heard the bangs again but even louder this time and it sounded like somebody firing a shotgun on the back deck.

I happened to put on City-TV this morning and they were talking about this exact thing and said it was ground water freezing and expanding with the cold causing the ground to crack which produces the very loud bangs.

I don't recall ever hearing it before and just wondered if anyone else has heard the same things ??

pressure crack exploded right beside me

We were fishing near Parry Sound in -35 weather a few years back and there was a loud SNAP and a pressure crack opened right between my feet and boy does that ever get your attention in a hurry :w00t:

Edited by lew

I keep "hearing" about them but I haven't heard them first hand. Not sure if the soil around here is ideal for them. :dunno:

Be thankful, Rob. They're really not a good thing for house foundations.

Several last night.

We were fishing near Parry Sound in -35 weather a few years back and there was a loud SNAP and a pressure crack opened right between my feet and boy does that ever get your attention in a hurry :w00t:

many years ago on Simcoe the ice dropped and water came in through the hole almost a foot high!

I heard them last night as well, shook the house . I thought the walls/roof were falling apart .I too thought I was crazy . I let the dog out and she was really on edge , she could really hear them I guess because she wanted nothing to do with being outside .

I heard one Christmas Eve and a few last night. Sounds like a big thump on the roof or wall.

I didn't know what it was at first but heard it was quakes after the Christmas Eve one. And here I thought it was Santa :(

The Weather Network website is reporting on Frost Quakes happening again last night.

I'm not so sure about these Frost Quakes. One person reports in their report says they thought someone fell out of bed upstairs. Actually most people on this website, and even on YouTube think it is something on the roof. Last night I heard a boom/bang twice. Once sounded like my daughter fell out of bed, the other time I was standing in the kitchen and the boom was above my head. Could it be the roof trusses contracting, or the plywood on the roof, or something like that?

My house is 120 ft from the shore Lake Scugog and I am used to booms from expanding lake ice, which come through the ground, both last night felt like they were on or in the roof.

Thoughts?

Entropy