Round Two Handle Completed and Blank Ready

Spiel

A year ago this coming October I made a one of a kind reel seat and butt cap from a Blue Spruce cone.
They ended up on a Walleye rod for my SIL. Well I have been tasked with doing it again for Sage Float Rod build.

First time......

image.jpeg

And round two fresh out of the pressure vessel this morning.....

cone 2.jpg

• Like 6

Man, I can't believe what you have done with this already Spiel, Hell, I'd be happy with it just the way it is. I was thinking about your much needed product maybe being epoxy but it appears your past that stage if in fact you use it, so I am wondering if it has something to do with the finish. You kinda left us in suspense here LOL.

11 hours ago, Barry Willis said:

Man, I can't believe what you have done with this already Spiel, Hell, I'd be happy with it just the way it is. I was thinking about your much needed product maybe being epoxy but it appears your past that stage if in fact you use it, so I am wondering if it has something to do with the finish. You kinda left us in suspense here LOL.

I need more of this Barry, it's what gives my reel seats a hard coat, high shine finish ......

image.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Barry Willis said:

I can not get over your craftsmanship Spiel, I wish I had your talent and know how. You never mentioned when dinner was going to be ready. I can barely remember the last time I had a big scoff of Walleye, it and Halibut being my favorite.

Thank you Barry.  :)
FYI, the Walleye fillets (all 5) were delish, mind you I'd happily trade them for Halibut any time. ;) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spiel said:

So today's progress has me to this point and the option for the customer to choose between light bronze or dark bronze reel seat hardware. Until he responds, the shop lights are off for the rest of the day and I have some Walleye ready to cook up for dinner.  :)

cone dark bronze.jpg

cone handle fore grip.jpg

cone light bronze.jpg

Due to the nature of the cone itself along with my router bit rotation in the same direction of the cross feed, tear out's are a big issue. 
Taking micro bites at a time and dropping in quick dry CA into the tear outs I was able to successfully finish this seat which is now clamped with the Dark Bronze hardware as per the customer's request. That's enough stressing for today! A quick break off my feet (and a beer) and then out for Gordie's third walk of the day, spoiled dog.  :D

image.jpeg
  • Like 1

• Spiel changed the title to Round Two Handle Completed and Blank Ready