Do you have a preferred boat brand?

Tjames09

been riding in a 93 glasstron nearly my entire life

the ride comparison to me is not that substantial enough to overcome the peace of mind that an aluminum can clip a rock and not sink.

Most lakes are rocky around here unless you are south or east.

If the Glastron is a cottage type cruisers, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Our runabout is a mid 90's glass boat designed for the cottage sunbathing set. It rides like a bag of crap, matter of fact my boat will take chop better than it does. On the other hand my buddies Grady white 24 with a 250 Yamaha will eat Lake Ontario 5 footers Like they aren't even there. Just different purpose built glass boats.

I'll stick with the boats you mentioned. Everyone will have their preference but to me, you essentially listed the boats in the order I would look at or consider buying.

1. Lund

2.Lowe

3. Legend.

Now, Lowe and Legend have come a long way but Lind to me is king of the list. It's a better build. If you don't want a merc, there are dealers that will rig it anyway you want. It will cost a little more though. I don't know why everyone knocks a Merc though. They have the largest dealer network around (easy to find a mechanic) and I haven't had a lick of problems with mine. If you are looking at an HP size if 60, I don't really think the make of motor really matters, yes, it'll break down but the bigger the motor, the bigger the chance of blowing no matter what brand you buy. In the end, treat them right and they will last a long time.

Starcraft or Alumacraft. Love my Suzukis. You don't mention budget which is a big factor. I had a 16 foot Starcraft walk through and a 50 4 stroke. It served most needs, even with four in it - other than big water. Not enough freeboard or power for that. If you think you want to do the big Lakes with 4, I would recommend at minimum an 18 fter with a minimum of a 115. Aluminium is cheaper to tow and power - so those are factors to consider too. You can make some sweet deals this time of year if you aren't set on a single brand or set up. Look and ask for the non current models - they don't always put them in the show, and see if you can get a couple guys bidding against each other.. I made a sweet deal on mine a couple years ago - a month after the show with a guy I met at the show..... good luck

Would take a Yamaha or Suzuki over a Merc.

HMMMM, why is that?

Have had a Merc on my boat since '91.

Re-powered in 2013 and put on another because the first was so good to me.

Haven't heard any issues with the Zuke's but have heard some with the Yammies in the salt (exhaust manifold corrosion issues).

I think pretty much all motors are on a level playing field these days.

I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. Went to all the boat shows,had a list of things that I absolutely needed in a boat, had a list of things that would be nice on a boat but not necessary. Research you purchase 110%. Look at the wieghts of the boat motor and trailer, can your vehicle safely pull it, with all your gear trolling motor batteries, anchor, a full tank of gas etc. It all adds up. I've got a wife and 2 kids, pulling a tube behind the boat is now a must, 5 years ago, not so much, do you need bow cushions for sunbathing? Some boats have this option some don't. A flip down rear casting deck take up a lot of floor space when in use, whereas folding jumpseats don't, but give you a bit smaller casting deck. Livewell size, fuel tank size, rod storage, under deck storage are all things to consider (visualize what you will store where when you're using the boat to give yourself a better idea as to what you need).

Things like a stereo, fish finders, gps are all expensive dealer installed options and are probably the very cheapest model available to make the price look slightly better and most likely not what you want. You will be upgrading these things yourself very soon. You can add these things in for half the price yourself later on. (I did)

So, at the boat shows open every hatch, stand on them if they are on the floor, some are flimsy, some don't open fully with a seat in the base next to it (believe it or not!)

Look at the dashboard space, will you need a ram mount for a fish finder over 5"? Can you see all the gauges or does the wheel block them?

Most boats have a battery compartment up front for your trolling motor battery, can it hold 2 batteries for a 24volt motor or just one?

Does it have lockable storage areas? (even one is better than none)

Is there enough room on the front and rear casting decks for the type of fishing you do?

Can you add accessories tracks for downriggers, rodholder etc.?

Travel cover, mooring cover included?

Radial or bias ply Tires?

Spare tire Included?

Bimini top, or full foul weather enclosure included or available aftermarket?

Portable or fixed gas tank?

On board battery charger?

Are there enough/any cup holders!

I was originally looking at a 16' side console with a 90hp but ended up with A 17' walk through with a 115hp.

I narrowed my choices down to a Lowe and a Crestliner. Went to a dealer, checked out both models I was interested in. Went home after both places wrote down pros and cons of each boat. Compared them to my list of must haves and nice to have.

Checked other dealers (of the same brand) and Auto trader (boat section) daily, most dealers advertise on it, waited until I saw the boat I wanted at the right price.

MOVED ON IT IMMEDIATELY! (This is important!) Be ready to buy and don't be afraid to drive a bit to get it. I live in London and drove to Kingston for the right deal.

I started my search in January and picked up my new boat in mid July, (4 days after I saw it posted online) patience paid off for me.

Ended up with a 2015 Crestliner Vision 1700, 115hp Mercury 4stroke (reviewed as one of the best built 115hp engines ever)

Are there things I don't like about the boat? Sure, mostly minor things, but they are outweighed by the positives.

So far it meets all my needs, (great lakes trolling, fishing small cottage lakes, pulling a teen on a tube) couldn't be happier with it!

I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. Went to all the boat shows,had a list of things that I absolutely needed in a boat, had a list of things that would be nice on a boat but not necessary. Research you purchase 110%. Look at the wieghts of the boat motor and trailer, can your vehicle safely pull it, with all your gear trolling motor batteries, anchor, a full tank of gas etc. It all adds up. I've got a wife and 2 kids, pulling a tube behind the boat is now a must, 5 years ago, not so much, do you need bow cushions for sunbathing? Some boats have this option some don't. A flip down rear casting deck take up a lot of floor space when in use, whereas folding jumpseats don't, but give you a bit smaller casting deck. Livewell size, fuel tank size, rod storage, under deck storage are all things to consider (visualize what you will store where when you're using the boat to give yourself a better idea as to what you need).

Things like a stereo, fish finders, gps are all expensive dealer installed options and are probably the very cheapest model available to make the price look slightly better and most likely not what you want. You will be upgrading these things yourself very soon. You can add these things in for half the price yourself later on. (I did)

So, at the boat shows open every hatch, stand on them if they are on the floor, some are flimsy, some don't open fully with a seat in the base next to it (believe it or not!)

Look at the dashboard space, will you need a ram mount for a fish finder over 5"? Can you see all the gauges or does the wheel block them?

Most boats have a battery compartment up front for your trolling motor battery, can it hold 2 batteries for a 24volt motor or just one?

Does it have lockable storage areas? (even one is better than none)

Is there enough room on the front and rear casting decks for the type of fishing you do?

Can you add accessories tracks for downriggers, rodholder etc.?

Travel cover, mooring cover included?

Radial or bias ply Tires?

Spare tire Included?

Bimini top, or full foul weather enclosure included or available aftermarket?

Portable or fixed gas tank?

On board battery charger?

Are there enough/any cup holders!

I was originally looking at a 16' side console with a 90hp but ended up with A 17' walk through with a 115hp.

I narrowed my choices down to a Lowe and a Crestliner. Went to a dealer, checked out both models I was interested in. Went home after both places wrote down pros and cons of each boat. Compared them to my list of must haves and nice to have.

Checked other dealers (of the same brand) and Auto trader (boat section) daily, most dealers advertise on it, waited until I saw the boat I wanted at the right price.

MOVED ON IT IMMEDIATELY! (This is important!) Be ready to buy and don't be afraid to drive a bit to get it. I live in London and drove to Kingston for the right deal.

I started my search in January and picked up my new boat in mid July, (4 days after I saw it posted online) patience paid off for me.

Ended up with a 2015 Crestliner Vision 1700, 115hp Mercury 4stroke (reviewed as one of the best built 115hp engines ever)

Are there things I don't like about the boat? Sure, mostly minor things, but they are outweighed by the positives.

So far it meets all my needs, (great lakes trolling, fishing small cottage lakes, pulling a teen on a tube) couldn't be happier with it!

Very well said

One thing you didn't say was with the "4 adults" is pleasure boating and slow comfort rides part of this or is it "just for fishing"? I have an 18.6 Glass bowrider that can be rigged with a trolling motor. The rig is a Northstar then became Grew and who knows what they are called now. It's powered by a Johnson 115 FastStrike and ZERO issues here, not even with the impeller. Sure mine doesn't have a back casting deck but the seating area design let's 2 people (mainly my kids) fish from the back on either side of the boat and have a more stable lower to the water casting area. I stand up front on the V bench and can add a removable deck over the seats if I ever wanted to.

I also have a 1970's Lund 14' tinny. Made so well it still to this day doesn't leak a drop.

What would I do today if I had the cash to go out and change it all up? Not sure. Depends on my current needs and future needs. You don't have kids yet I'm going to guess. Think future use too for if you ever go down that path... Nobody want's to buy a boat every few years cause things have changed at home...

Well if we're going to get stupid.. a friend of a friend of a friend of mine told me that they've never heard my 275 HP Merc Verado run!

The best boat.. what ever one you're in with a fishing rod in your hand!

Motor... GM/ Ford / Dodge... they all build a lemon.

10 FULL seasons in the water now with my Lund (6 months IN the water, not on a trailer).. as I missed one when Jen was sick.. and it has yet to leak a drop. Many that have fished with me know that I definitely don't baby it, especially in November / December out for Musky as we regularly ride or bust through 6 to 10 footers on GBay and generally wash the floor over the 54" bow doing so!

Pick the one you like and go with it. Don't buy a Legend.... :whistling:

Thanks for all the replies. The boats I was looking at were about $22,000. I don't intend on doing any great lakes fishing with this, it would be all in the Kawarthas. All the boats we saw had Mercs on them, and didn't seem like anything else was even an option.

Thanks for the good reply jjcanoe.

I dont recall seeing Alumacraft at the boat show, its the only book I dont have lol. Are these brands all affiliated: starcraft, smokercraft, alumacraft? I recall seeing the starcraft and smokercraft booths. The boats looked identical.

HMMMM, why is that?

Have had a Merc on my boat since '91.

Re-powered in 2013 and put on another because the first was so good to me.

Haven't heard any issues with the Zuke's but have heard some with the Yammies in the salt (exhaust manifold corrosion issues).

I think pretty much all motors are on a level playing field these days.

Personal preference. Tend to like the features more on others not to mention the looks if that matters.

I've owned a Merc too (though was a yammy powerhead) and had 0 issues.

Agree most are same reliability these days.

Don't liked how your locked into buying a Merc with many of the brands now w/o paying up charge.

A Google search shows that StarCraft and Smokercraft merged in 2006.

Sylvan is part of that group too. And I believe other companies occasionally use hull designs from other companies. I think Smokercraft built the hulls for Legend at one point. And certain companies like StarCraft have had a number of owners over the years.

I had a 15.5' Smokercraft. A great little boat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but it would depend on price. Not up to the standards of some companies.

I have a 16' StarCraft with a walk thru windshield and it's a very solid boat. 90 hp Optimax. Unless I do something really stupid, it should last me my lifetime. It's decent with three adults, four is too many for a full day on the water.

I have a friend who owns a camp. He has a Smokercraft and a Lund. The Lund is definitely the better boat, but costs more. He had a Princecraft. I thought it was better than the Smokercraft, but less than the Lund.

I tend to place Lund at the top, StarCraft and from what I've heard Alumacraft as close behind. Then Princecraft.

Legend, Smokercraft, Sylvan come after. No experience with Crestliner.

Good luck.

I found this old post from Henry Nguyen from Legend boats:

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Hey Guys just to clear things up.

When Legend first started in the boating industry back in 84. They started with Fiberglass Hulls. Then in 1990 they had Crestliner built there hulls for them but it was a bad idea. Then in 1992 Legend had their hulls built in the Star craft Facility which was about 20 miles away from the Smoker Craft building which Smoker craft bought out Star Craft. Now you will find SmokerCraft builds Starcraft, Smoker Craft and Sylvan products out of there plant in Indiana. Legend Boats hulls are built in the same plant as SmokerCraft but we design our boats, our layouts and our specs. What's great is the warranty of our boats. Since our head office is in Sudbury, Whitefish (Duhamel & Dewar) if there was ever a hull issue or any issue with a Legend it's taken care at either the Corporate Store in Barrie or our head office.

I was also researching the Brunswick Corp deal with Merc a bit and according to what I found it went down like this. Brunswick previously owned Mercury and then started buying up the Lund, Princecraft, Crestliner brands. Yamaha decided that they would not sell motors to these boat builders any more since they were basically 'competition'. Evinrude then followed Yamaha's lead and cut off these factories from buying their engines. As such, you can not buy any of these brands from the factory with these engines. Aftermarket customizing is possible if you can find the right dealer.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here if a 1993 Glasstron is the comparison boat. And as for clipping a rock and sinking?... you could chainsaw a hole through the bottom of my Ranger or a Skeeter and it's not going to sink. I understand like all of us, your knowledge is based on experience, but the glass boats built specifically for fishing are incredible. If you get a chance to get out in one, take it.

just saying, ive seen a holy punched in fibreglass from the shield, and have yet to see a rivet pop or a hole punch in an aluminum.

I unfortunately havent had to opportunity to fish a skeeter or ranger, but id obviously take someone up on the offer if made.

I will add to the anti merc sentiment...we have a 350 mercruiser on our rinker...and a 175 johnson from 93 on the glasstron. The merc is a pain in the you know what. Ive kind of lost a lot of faith in domestic built anything anymore, and i drive a new dodge ram lol.

Our ski-poos have also been nothing but trouble...surprise surprise.

Edited by AKRISONER

With aluminum boats you have to look beyond the graphics and the paint job and whatever Joe Blow the Sponsored Pro says, and focus on the construction details. They reveal everything about how the boat was made. If you take one thing away from this entire thread, let it be this - during the recession a lot of boat companies made HUGE changes to the way their boats are built, because with sales being down, cutting costs was the only way to keep generating profits for their shareholders. As a result, there are a lot of boats out there today that are no longer built anywhere close to the way they once were.

How do you make sure you get what you pay for?

1. Here's a simple thing - are the cleats through-bolted, or just screwed on? If the builder took the time to actually through-bolt them properly, then it's a safe bet they didn't cut corners anywhere else. But if they're just screwed on with simple wood screws, where else did they make compromises?

2. Look at the transom. Does the wood go to the floor? Or is it just a strip where the motor bolts on? It's cheaper to just have a strip. But it won't last anywhere near as long.

3. If the boat has a full walk-through windshield, then how does it attach to the consoles? Is it through-bolted? Or just screwed on?

4. Do some research online and find out how they put in the foam flotation that's required by law. Some builders install the floor, then inject expanding foam underneath it, so it fills every crack and space. Others just lay in flat sheet foam, or pour in non-expanding foam, then bolt the floor on over top. This method is cheaper, but the problem is that it leaves air spaces, which water can then get in to. The inevitable result is rot and mold issues, which can then deteriorate the foam itself. But water can't get into a boat that's been injected with expanding foam. It's a BIG difference. Besides that, the expanding foam bonds with the hull and deck to give you a solid, rigid structure that equals a smoother, quieter ride.

5. Sounds crazy, but does the boat even have a keel? Have a look because some don't. Others cheap out and only have a center cap where their aluminum plates attach. Others do it right and have up to five proper keels. Guess which boat will track straightest? Guess which one delivers more protection against rocks?

I could go on all day, but since I don't get paid for this, I won't :-) Suffice to say that the world has changed. You have to do your homework and look at how the boat is built to make sure you get what you pay for.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Lots of great info thanks. No idea how I will check into those build specs haha. Half the stuff you mentioned Im not sure what it is. I would imagine the quality of legend starcraft and smoker craft should all be the same if they're built In the same factory.

With aluminum boats you have to look beyond the graphics and the paint job and whatever Joe Blow the Sponsored Pro says, and focus on the construction details. They reveal everything about how the boat was made. If you take one thing away from this entire thread, let it be this - during the recession a lot of boat companies made HUGE changes to the way their boats are built, because with sales being down, cutting costs was the only way to keep generating profits for their shareholders. As a result, there are a lot of boats out there today that are no longer built anywhere close to the way they once were.

How do you make sure you get what you pay for?

1. Here's a simple thing - are the cleats through-bolted, or just screwed on? If the builder took the time to actually through-bolt them properly, then it's a safe bet they didn't cut corners anywhere else. But if they're just screwed on with simple wood screws, where else did they make compromises?

2. Look at the transom. Does the wood go to the floor? Or is it just a strip where the motor bolts on? It's cheaper to just have a strip. But it won't last anywhere near as long.

3. If the boat has a full walk-through windshield, then how does it attach to the consoles? Is it through-bolted? Or just screwed on?

4. Do some research online and find out how they put in the foam flotation that's required by law. Some builders install the floor, then inject expanding foam underneath it, so it fills every crack and space. Others just lay in flat sheet foam, or pour in non-expanding foam, then bolt the floor on over top. This method is cheaper, but the problem is that it leaves air spaces, which water can then get in to. The inevitable result is rot and mold issues, which can then deteriorate the foam itself. But water can't get into a boat that's been injected with expanding foam. It's a BIG difference. Besides that, the expanding foam bonds with the hull and deck to give you a solid, rigid structure that equals a smoother, quieter ride.

5. Sounds crazy, but does the boat even have a keel? Have a look because some don't. Others cheap out and only have a center cap where their aluminum plates attach. Others do it right and have up to five proper keels. Guess which boat will track straightest? Guess which one delivers more protection against rocks?

I could go on all day, but since I don't get paid for this, I won't :-) Suffice to say that the world has changed. You have to do your homework and look at how the boat is built to make sure you get what you pay for.

http://www.polarkraft.com/construction.php

This is one of the reasons I choose Polar Kraft (Look at V HULL Construction) AND because I can choose my outboard not "their" outboard....choices are

E-TEC

Merc

Yammy

Honda