This weekend made up for Family day weekend!!

NAW

I've wanted to get my family out on the ice all winter.

I had high hopes for family day weekend. But it was just a little to cold to take (2x) 3 year olds, and a 8 year old.

This weekend, we tried to make the best of the warm weather, by making a massive snowman. Then going ice fishing!!!

The snowman was the tallest I have ever made! I needed a ladder to put the top 2 balls on. And I had to cut some of them in to smaller pieces with a machete, then re-assemble them once they where in place.

DSC_1824_zpsgbww8ajw.jpg

A quick back ground.. My girlfriend and I rent the main floor of this house, and the upperlevel is rented by two girls. After I built this epic snowman, I realized that is may have creeped out the poor girls in the upstairs apartment! Peeping snowman!.

DSC_1825_zpsdz6q6506.jpg

The fishing was great! The ice conditions, not so much. There was a solid 5" everywhere. Some places where 8". But it was a little wet.

I started out in 20' close to shore. But we didn't mark anything. So as I was pondering moving to the 30' range, what happens? My 3 year old son jumps off his chair, and steps in a hole!! He's soaked past his knee on his right leg. And screaming his head off!!!

IMG_3233_zpswn51o2ow.jpg

IMG_3235_zpsfkuaoo0p.jpg

IMG_3236_2_zps1h7hrcgw.jpg

You can see me in one of the pictures, coming back from my SUV with a bag in my hand. Which I used to put over his foot. The little trooper didn't complain once. After we got him calmed down, and everyone situated. I took off to poke some holes and check the ice conditions further out.

mms_20160221_161555_zpsq0a3tcl0.jpg

Everything was OK, so we made the move out to 30'. we set the hut up to get out of the wind. This was the first time fishing with the entire family in the hut. And it was GREAT!! We where able to set up the chairs such that the kids could fish, with Sam's help, and I was sitting at their rod tips baiting hooks steady!

IMG_3250_zpsptv4xdsa.jpg

DSC_1832_zpsa3up1ux7.jpg

This is my view!

DSC_1829_zpsjbbi31sa.jpg

The schools of herring where coming through pretty good for an hour or two. And we managed to catch our limit for 5 people in under 2 hours. Tossed a few really small ones back.

DSC_1843_zpsnghtqu1g.jpg

DSC_1848_zpseqe9apks.jpg

The kids had an absolute blast! And so did Sam and I!

It sure is great to have extra hands for pulling gear in and out!

IMG_3246_zpswto8hqbm.jpg

DSC_1852_zpsg7kb9bea.jpg

We had a great fish fry for dinner. I have to admit. I really love the taste of Simcoe herring. Breaded and fried in oil. As good, if not better than Crappie. Still not as good as perch though....

DSC_1854_zpsioxogrlu.jpg

And the kids loved it too!

DSC_1856_zpsmbfwlelk.jpg

DSC_1857_zpsk0ne7bdg.jpg

This was the first time we have all gone out together, and actually had good fishing! I think they are addicted now!

Edited by N.A.W

My wife just saw your report, she had tears of joy in her heart, my daughter is smiling down on people like u and thx for letting us see a shoreline view of our old hometown, spent many many hours fishing in the exact same area, keep on doing what your doing with your family you will reap rewards forever trust me, and tx years ago for helping me with the issues of how to redo our bathroom re water damage, I dont forget

Great post! That's a day your family will never forget.

Bet despite the soaker your 3 yr. old will talk fondly about this 20-30 yrs. from now.

Still remember and talk to my father about family fishing Brome lake, Que. 45 yrs. ago when i was 3.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!!

I forgot the specs. All the fish where caught in 30fow, with small buckshot tipped with salted minnows, on Barbie and lightning mcqueen rods!!

Edited by N.A.W

I'm glad you are all enjoying the report!

And I sure hope the kids remember these little day trips. I know the 8 year old will. It's funny someone one mentioned earlier this this thread that at 3 years old, they will remember this trip. Because Sam and I had a bit of a conversation debating weather the youngsters will keep this in their memory for a life time?

I don't have to many memories of trips like this at the age of three. But I have punished my brain way to much in the last 15 years to have a healthy functioning memory!!