-was in the garage the other night and heard a bit of rustling so I set 4 traps and in the morning ALL 4 had a mouse that saw its last day. I heard they get into garages to escape the cold. Think there's more??

Yup you do had the same problem they would come in during the night and leave in the day!

Found a time crack by my garage door (by closing the door and looking for light penetration) three died and filled the hole all is well. NOW if I could only rid them in the yard, there is a colony! last year anyway on the other side of my fence and they roam. Last year they cut all of my vegetable seedlings and ate my tomatoes close to the ground.

We may argue againg this year.

Anyone have a similar problem?

I went and looked at a car with my son about 7 years ago, a Chevy Malibu, nice car, but on the test drive the engine was missing. On close inspection I could see where mice or rats had chewed on the plug wires.

I have seen them build nests on top an intake manifold and inside of cars, stored indoors or out.

I did the same a couple years ago when I first bought my house it had been empty for a couple cold months, I probably caught 10-20 inside and 20 in the garage. I keep setting traps but haven't gotten any this year

Here is a thought for you. I had a similar situation in my garage when I first moved in. I saw them running up the walls and everything. I thought I was in for a real challenge, but I caught a few at first. Then I set out the bait boxes with the little bricks of poison in them. I also put a couple of those little plug - in ultrasonic devices in. I placed one at the front near the door and the second back near my work bench. I have no idea what others have experienced with these devices, but they seem to be effective. I have not had any issues for about 7 years. I live in the country and know for a fact that they are everywhere outside. When I cut the lawn or move anything on the ground, they scatter all over the place. You will probably never eliminate all the cracks and holes that they use to get in. These ultrasonic things are supposed to generate a frequency that we do not hear, but irritate mice.

I have had them on and off in our home aswell. Some years nothing, some years it's apparent they are here and I set traps. I got the shock of my life the other day. I pulled the oven out to clean the walls behind it and found at least a half a bag of Ralphie's food all piled in the corner (no wonder I have to buy so much dog food ha ha ha). I guess they were taking it out of his dish and going under the oven to their "crack" but could not fit the kibble so just left it. Needless to say I was aghast. I cleaned it all up and have been looking for other signs of them but we had set traps up a few months ago when we heard the telltale sound of them skittering and I think we got them all. I'll keep looking and setting traps. I think it's just a fact of life they will get in the house and garage no matter what you do.

I don't agree with the poison though. Birds eat them and then die from that poison :(

I also put a couple of those little plug - in ultrasonic devices in. I placed one at the front near the door and the second back near my work bench. I have no idea what others have experienced with these devices, but they seem to be effective. I have not had any issues for about 7 years. I live in the country and know for a fact that they are everywhere outside. When I cut the lawn or move anything on the ground, they scatter all over the place. You will probably never eliminate all the cracks and holes that they use to get in. These ultrasonic things are supposed to generate a frequency that we do not hear, but irritate mice.

This what your talking about Brian ??

There were several in the garage when I bought this place 5 years ago and I have NEVER seen a mouse in the garage, the house or anywhere else around here.

002-1.jpg

Start tying baits!

As soon as I backed the boat into the hangar in September... the lead mouse yelled "our house is back"! Electronics don't work.. too cold for sticky pads now.. I just keep emptying the traps and praying they don't chew anything important before May.

I was having a war with mice out in the garage last fall and managed to trap 22 before winter set in...left three traps baited with peanut butter but no takers until this past week when we got two...reset the traps yesterday but no takers so far when I checked this morning...

Our cats seem to have scared any mice away from inside the house...

Edited by Beans

The ramp and bucket thing works. About 10 years back we had a few mice warming and doing whatever they do. I had caught a few in traps but they were still around tearing up insulation that I didn't get around to seal, I know, it's was on the list. Anyway I get up in the middle of the night and decide to get a drink. I took a header when I tripped over the old washtub in the middle of the kitchen floor that had a piece of tongue and groove pine as the ramp with peanut butter slathered on it. Imagine my surprise when I finally got out of the wash tub and onto my feet, turned on the light and found this abomination of engineering in the middle of the kitchen. I had no idea what it was or what for. I guess my squealing woke my ingenious wife, I screamed " you trying to kill me, what the hell is this thing?".

It's a mouse trap but I caught an idiot that thinks he can see in the dark was her matter of fact reply.

The ramp and bucket thing works. About 10 years back we had a few mice warming and doing whatever they do. I had caught a few in traps but they were still around tearing up insulation that I didn't get around to seal, I know, it's was on the list. Anyway I get up in the middle of the night and decide to get a drink. I took a header when I tripped over the old washtub in the middle of the kitchen floor that had a piece of tongue and groove pine as the ramp with peanut butter slathered on it. Imagine my surprise when I finally got out of the wash tub and onto my feet, turned on the light and found this abomination of engineering in the middle of the kitchen. I had no idea what it was or what for. I guess my squealing woke my ingenious wife, I screamed " you trying to kill me, what the hell is this thing?".

It's a mouse trap but I caught an idiot that thinks he can see in the dark was her matter of fact reply.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yup you do had the same problem they would come in during the night and leave in the day!

Found a time crack by my garage door (by closing the door and looking for light penetration) three died and filled the hole all is well. NOW if I could only rid them in the yard, there is a colony! last year anyway on the other side of my fence and they roam. Last year they cut all of my vegetable seedlings and ate my tomatoes close to the ground.

We may argue againg this year.

Anyone have a similar problem?

I could be wrong but it sounds like your garden problems where cutworms not mice. I have mice around my garden all the time and they never touch small plants or seedlings. They do however nibble on beets and potatoes :angry:

This was our worst year (or our best year depending on how you look at it).

Caught 22 mice (previous record was 12). Also caught 2 voles (they are a little harder to trap than mice because they don't seem to go for bait).

I will not use the poisen because owls, cats, foxes, and dogs can get a mouse loaded with poisen and it can kill them.

I really like the plastic traps that are like a close pin. If baited properly they work really well. Bait the top inside of the trap, not the trigger.

This what your talking about Brian ??

There were several in the garage when I bought this place 5 years ago and I have NEVER seen a mouse in the garage, the house or anywhere else around here.

002-1.jpg

Lew I have one of those in my garage. I hope it's working. Years ago they made them so you could "test" A a button on the side and and it would sound like an alarm . These new ones only the red light :( what is it doing???

I could be wrong but it sounds like your garden problems where cutworms not mice. I have mice around my garden all the time and they never touch small plants or seedlings. They do however nibble on beets and potatoes :angry:

I though of them also but never seen any. When the plants were cut at the base they disappeared (carried away??)