I though of them also but never seen any. When the plants were cut at the base they disappeared (carried away??)

At my first house I had problems with blackbirds. As soon as my squash cucumber or cantaloup plants would sprout they would come and pull them out of the ground. Never ate them..just pulled them out of the ground and left them there. If it was windy they would then get blown out of the garden up against my fence.

This what your talking about Brian ??

There were several in the garage when I bought this place 5 years ago and I have NEVER seen a mouse in the garage, the house or anywhere else around here.

002-1.jpg

That is it exactly Lew. I think I bought them at TSC or Home Hardware. It was about 8 years ago, but they sure do seem to do the trick. I check the poison boxes and they are definitely still feeding on them, but I guess they don't live ling enough to do any harm. Never find any dead ones n the garage either.

Yes likely cut worms. You take 1.5-2" strips of news paper and wrap around bottom of plant so the paper is above soil level and down about 1".

Well after my second planting ($30 worth) I read about toilet roll tubes and foam cups! Well no tubes but the wife had a ton of expresso foam cups and that did it! She wasn't happy :(

this year I have the tubes saved up just in case.

As a kid I work for a market gardener. Wrapped about a million+ tomato plants with newspaper . half a million pepper planets. Well maybe not that many paid .50/hr .

I remember what worked.

Mmmm, I love pepper planets :)