Did I get taken?? (nf)

fishnguy

I think I would learn to do some of these things on your own. WAY too many people get taken because they aren't mechanically inclined. A small job that costs just a few hundred to do can end up costing well above a grand in no time.....

I think I would learn to do some of these things on your own. WAY too many people get taken because they aren't mechanically inclined. A small job that costs just a few hundred to do can end up costing well above a grand in no time.....

I think most people are intimidated by the job.. But once you do it the first time, you laugh at yourself for thinking you needed a pro to do it.

Went to the lake for one last blast today before putting mine up for the winter.

Turned out to be just a drive though as the launches are frozen up now. :(

Turned around and came home. 1 1/2 hours later she's all winterized and put away until spring.

Time to get the sled and ice fishing gear ready to go. ;)

you didnt ask for a estimte bad on you. but you also didnt sign the work order dispute it with credit card company, they will need to supply proof of consent to repair.

looks like your being doubled billed the way they wrote it i can justify about 200 lab there not 456 though each motor about an hour to change oil and winterize at worst another hour to do rest of boat and livewells and a extra 8 bux in antifreeze

I have an older (1993) Yammy 90hp and I have a buddy who is a small engine tech winterize it for $40. He fogs it, puts anti-freeze through my pump and livewell lines, and changes the foot oil. I could do it but for $40 it is better to have a mechanic do it.

kijiji ads

Winterization
Inboards-Inboard/Outboard Starting at $95.00

- Oil changes starting at $95.00
- Lower unit oil changes $35.00
- Acid washing and buffing availible
- Mercruiser Trained Techs
- We are capable of handling the largest boats in the industry with our Arial man lift.

WINTERIZATION / FREE STORAGE
WINTERIZATION / FREE STORAGE

We shrink-wrap pontoons, bowriders and smaller fishing boats for ONLY $8.00 per foot. With that price you also receive FREE STORAGE till spring! Winterization for MOST outboards start @ $49.95, and I/O start @ $99 For larger boats, mobile service,pricing or info vist our web site; www.northernboatwholesalers.net Or call toll free 877-346-3566 Closed Sundays We are located 1/2hour north of Bellville Thanks for looking at our ad.

t Winterizing, Shrink Wrap and Storage at C.A.S. Power Marine

We offer convenient winterizing, shrink wrap and storage options to fit any budget. You can drop your boat off in the fall and not worry about it until its time to go boating in the spring. Out board engine winterizations starting at $80 Inboard/outboard winterizations starting at $105 Prices are labor only, supplies extra. See our website for more details and a price sheet. Or call for more details. C.A.S. Power Marine Ltd. 2564 Cedar Creek Road, Ayr, ON (use North Dumfries on your GPS) ...

Thanks for the insights. I'll definitely be looking into winterizing it myself next year. Was a bit intimidated with it being a brand new (to me) boat. Didn't want to screw something up, but I gather it's pretty straight forward.

I've contacted the marina to make them aware of this thread and again to reiterate that the price seems very excessive. The icing on the cake is that since the spring, I've dropped at least 7k on that marina buying all my electronics, trolling motor, downriggers, etc through them and having them installed. I guess that was before the new management, but you'd think they would at least want to try to keep their existing client base.

If I spent that much $$ at that shop, I would expect they'd not try to fleece me but if it's new management and this is how they operate, I'd be spending my money elsewhere. I'd also tell them that this job cost them all your future business and if they look at their books, they'll know they blew it. big time. even if they try to make amends, I'd still walk. after they made it right.

Edited by woodenboater

I just got back from town and paying my bill for winterizing my boat, 150 hp optimax, the bill breakdown is as follows.filter 23.99, fuel stabilizer 12.99, labour 1hr @90.00. the total included shop supplies 4.50 and hst 17.09 for a grand total of 148.57

comments on the bill said they added fuel stabilizer, run it through the system, check gear oil and replace fuel filter, repair engine cover (didn';t know there was anything broken on it)

so compared to the original poster, I got away easy and am not anywhere close to being ripped off.

I just got back from town and paying my bill for winterizing my boat, 150 hp optimax, the bill breakdown is as follows.filter 23.99, fuel stabilizer 12.99, labour 1hr @90.00. the total included shop supplies 4.50 and hst 17.09 for a grand total of 148.57

comments on the bill said they added fuel stabilizer, run it through the system, check gear oil and replace fuel filter, repair engine cover (didn';t know there was anything broken on it)

so compared to the original poster, I got away easy and am not anywhere close to being ripped off.

No change of gear oil?

No need to change motor oil on your girl.