Did I get taken?? (nf)

fishnguy

What some fine easy others find hard..

No issue in letting someone else do it.

The issues is getting screwed no way it should have cost that.

The sad thing is the place that did is under new owenership this year .. Sad to see this is were they are headed.. With fishnguy permission I know I will be calling and asking how much to winter my boat If they get enough complaints it might help or they will just take the money and run..

Maybe it's under new management because the last guy didn't charge enough.

What's a fair price for the work they did?

Don't know anything about costs of winterizing a boat (since I don't have one) but I would let this thread fester a bit and then print them a copy and show it to them, and let them know that you will post where you had the service done...... see what they say to that lol... good luck.

Don't feel too bad about being taken advantage of though... probably has happened to most of us!

Burt :)

This IS your solution. That marina took full advantage of you. If you were to do this, print the entire thread out and hand it to the owner/manager I'd be willing to bet they would hand you half the cost back in cash. Without a single word said.

And if the owner/manager is reading this SHAME ON YOU!!!

So I just had my boat winterized for the first time. I'm officially in mourning until April. I bought the boat used this spring and it's my first boat, so was is my first time through the process. I brought it to a local marina to get the work done. I have a 2011 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke as the main motor and a small 6hp 4 stroke early 2000s Nissan outboard as the kicker. Plus I have two live wells.

My total bill was $650!!!!!!!! Holy crap!

I was floored. Is this par for course or did I get hosed here?

As a follow up question, anyone with recommendations for good marinas in the Owen Sound/Grey Bruce area???

Thanks

No way do you let this die on the vine.

Edited by moxie

This IS your solution. That marina took full advantage of you. If you were to do this, print the entire thread out and hand it to the owner/manager I'd be willing to bet they would hand you half the cost back in cash. Without a single word said.

And if the owner/manager is reading this SHAME ON YOU!!!

X2!!!!!

$95/hr for labour. All they did was service and winterize the two motors. No storage or shink wrap, unfortunately.

Ouch.. We'll make sure you winterize it next year all by yourself :) It's a very simple process.

I'd also go back, that's just highway robbery. Don't put up with that crap.

Edited by BillM

Even my I/O,oil,filter,seperator ,plumbing antifreeze.$60 tops,it's the manifold drain plugs and the removing hoses to flush is the most time .2 hours max on the job.Don"t take it in again,as said,lots of step x step help available here.Hope you get something back,that's a crime.

Rather than print this thread and pin it as a tail on the owner of this establishment, wouldn't it be nice to have the business owner or staff sign up to OFC, login and describe their work performed and justification for the charges. Oh the dream. I would dispute this vigorously and ask everyone I know to tell 10 friends about the experience.

Update: I went in to talk to them this morning. They absolutely would not budge. They argued that they were package prices and they couldn't move on prices. They said they winterized and did regular maintenance....change oil, etc. Here is a scan of the bill and the checklist. Curious to get people's thoughts.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/fishnguy1/media/Untitled_zpsb6238ef1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/fishnguy1/media/Scan1_zps2c00790a.jpeg.html

Seems like a money grab. There are several things on that list I would not pay a technican to do. A lot of it simple user friendly procedures that can be done by even the least experienced owner.

While they may not budge on the price at this point, you now know where not to go next season. And while they may have got you this time. they likely lost a lot of future business because of their methods.

Okay so which business is this? (SPRINGMOUNT AUTOMARINE)If they wouldn't budge, which is in itself rediculous cause they just lost at least one customer,Id show this around to other local business as well. Get their thoughts on it. I have a funny feeling this business is about to get a boatload of complaints from OFC members. I feel bad for ya dood

Edited by manitoubass2

So springmount automarine springmountmarine springmount marine will not get my business and when they are googled this thread will pop up for the world to see

and I see it seems to be owned by Georgian Shores Marina

Edited by Terry