NAW

Just a random question because I have been pondering it myself. 

My girlfriend works at the Hospital in Barrie.  And she has to works every other year on Christmas day.  We have 3 kids between the two of us, and both have joint custody.  So this year, my GF is working 12 hour night shifts Dec 24 and 25.  And the kids are all at their other parents house. 

Anyone else here need to deal with this sort of messed up schedule?   Not having your family with you on Christmas....

The only thing I can think of to do Christmas morning, is to go ice fishing!!  

Does anyone else here love ice fishing so much to go out on Christmas morning...alone..? 

I've gone out Christmas eve before (with Jer I think..)  But never actually on Christmas day, 

I'll be going out for Crappie, if there's any other loners out there that want to join! 

Nick, its becoming a tradition of my own the last couple of years with the christmas falling on the weekend to go up north that weekend with a couple of buddies.

My christmas' fall on off years, so this year its on christmas day, Last year it was boxing day.

Last year the guys went home on christmas eve and I spent christmas day by myself at the lake...it was a really cool feeling getting up at 7am and going out on the ice solo on christmas morning. you may never hear a quieter time, even the distant highway noises completely subsided. As it got a little later i started noticing a bit more movement around as people were going to visit families etc but it was a morning well spent.

Unfortunately I have to be back in Toronto for 12 on Christmas day this year or I would be joining you for some crapolas for sure.

I  used to enjoy walking out to drill a few holes for perch on Cook's Bay every Christmas Day.  Mind you, that's years ago when our winters used to be colder and more stable.  Anyhoo, it used to be me and a bunch of Russians and other ethnic fellows who celebrate Christmas on January 7th. 

24 minutes ago, Shloim said:

Where are ya going for em? I'm available as it's hard to be a jew on Christmas.. ...

I don't know where I will be going yet.  Somewhere within a 45 minute drive from Barrie. 

The weather over the next 4 days will determine where I will go, or if at all... 

I'll PM you in the near future if my plans come together!  

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Nick, its becoming a tradition of my own the last couple of years with the christmas falling on the weekend to go up north that weekend with a couple of buddies.

My christmas' fall on off years, so this year its on christmas day, Last year it was boxing day.

Last year the guys went home on christmas eve and I spent christmas day by myself at the lake...it was a really cool feeling getting up at 7am and going out on the ice solo on christmas morning. you may never hear a quieter time, even the distant highway noises completely subsided. As it got a little later i started noticing a bit more movement around as people were going to visit families etc but it was a morning well spent.

Unfortunately I have to be back in Toronto for 12 on Christmas day this year or I would be joining you for some crapolas for sure.

I bet it gets really quiet out there on Christmas morning!  I never thought out that.  True piece and quiet for a few hours.

WoW!  I thought I was going to be one of the crazy guys out there who would consider fishing on christmas!

I'm going to have to show this  post to my girlfriend so she will stop thinking im nuts! 

I have some pondering to do now, and a few PM's to send.

I'm alone every Christmas morning unless I travel 6,000 kms to be with family.

I crawl out of bed late, cook myself a kick donkey brecky and chill on da couch watchin' TEEVEE with a rum in me hand!!!!

It really sucks!!! I don't advise it.  :lol::lol::lol:

When I lived back in Mississauga I used to go and spend a few hours drifting for steel on the Credit on Christmas.

Early and late with the fam and fishin' in between while the feast was cookin'.  :)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

So my GF wants to wake up early on Christmas and do something with me.  So I will need to be home for noon.   But she is happy that I am going to get out on the ice Christmas! 

Now I just need a firm up my plans for what lake I am going to hit.!  PM me if you want to join. 

1 hour ago, pics said:

If I fished Christmas day I would probably be single by boxing day.. Working 12hr nights both Christmas and boxing day this year... I should have been a school teacher...  

Atleast you know , that if you do, you know what to do. :lol:

Hasent worked for me, and been doing it for many years.:Gonefishing:

Edited by misfish

I did the shift stuff for 25 in the CF and another 10 years as a dispatcher,  you end up working one or the other.  Those with kids and singles were always given first choice, rightly so.  I do the cooking at Christmas so I'm home..but looking at the fishing reports.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:06 AM, NAW said:

Just a random question because I have been pondering it myself. 

My girlfriend works at the Hospital in Barrie.  And she has to works every other year on Christmas day.  We have 3 kids between the two of us, and both have joint custody.  So this year, my GF is working 12 hour night shifts Dec 24 and 25.  And the kids are all at their other parents house. 

Anyone else here need to deal with this sort of messed up schedule?   Not having your family with you on Christmas....

The only thing I can think of to do Christmas morning, is to go ice fishing!!  

Does anyone else here love ice fishing so much to go out on Christmas morning...alone..? 

I've gone out Christmas eve before (with Jer I think..)  But never actually on Christmas day, 

I'll be going out for Crappie, if there's any other loners out there that want to join! 

If I was in town I would take you up on that offer. Maybe in 2019 lol if you are solo

24 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I did the shift stuff for 25 in the CF and another 10 years as a dispatcher,  you end up working one or the other.  Those with kids and singles were always given first choice, rightly so.  

I was something similar, between the Navy and then the Fire Dept. I seemed to work either Christmas or New Years for most of 35 years..

We were pretty flexible with our shifts though as far a switching with other guys so plenty of times the single guys would take a Christmas shift for the family guys then he'd he'd take New Years Eve off and the family guy would cover for him.