Bit of a Rant

jimmer

So, I went to one of the local grocery stores yesterday to buy my lunch from the take out counter. There was a sign put up that says drinks are no longer being included in the meal deals because of new government rules. The price of the meal deal didn't go down and now the drink is priced separately. I asked what that was about and was given the explanation that the government was missing out on the taxes from the drink.

My colleague then asked where the usual pre-package coleslaw was that was in small containers (yesterday's coleslaw from the deli counter) and was told they could no longer sell it like that because the nutritional value was not listed on the package. Another government initiative.

Don't get me wrong, it is a small amount of money, but adds up when looking at the differences over the whole year.

I feel like the next time I go in there, they will be telling me what I can eat on that specific day to make sure I'm eating healthy and paying my fair share of taxes.

Whoa, it's amazing how one can get worked up over such a small thing.

Thanks for listening!

Ya, my favourite little spot to grab cheap lunches on Tuesdays just recently increased their price from $3.00 for a meal up to $4.00.

I still go there every Tuesday. But that's $50 out of my pocket every year! I only keep going there because the food is really really good.

Be glad you are not living in New York as they have/had a soft drink tax with an eye to getting people to make "better" decisions.

At the end of the day, these decisions can almost always be related to taxation... they just tell us it's for our own good.

HH

Ya, my favourite little spot to grab cheap lunches on Tuesdays just recently increased their price from $3.00 for a meal up to $4.00.

I still go there every Tuesday. But that's $50 out of my pocket every year! I only keep going there because the food is really really good.

Still cheaper and better than anything you'll find at a fast food joint.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. There's to much profit at stake for the grocery chains to give up on in-store prepared foods just because of a labeling law. Otherwise it could affect sales of any prepared hot/cold item, which is a bigger and bigger sales items to stores these days. I'm sure the big guys already have a way to comply, it's just going to take the little guys a bit longer because they don't have the same resources. They'll need to adjust their price to reflect the removal of the drink, that may just be someone hoping no one notices - people always do.

competition has a way of evening these things out. Somebody else got a better deal...(ie still include a drink?). You just found your new lunch spot. Your current spot still the best option? That my friend is inflation.

It sound to me more like government intervention that once again raised the price of something that didn't need to be raised. Or like I like to say, the more money you give government the less you get in return.

It sound to me more like government intervention that once again raised the price of something that didn't need to be raised. Or like I like to say, the more money you give government the less you get in return.

Wait till you fill the tank tomorrow. :wallbash:

The price of the meal deal didn't go down

This reminds me of the rip-off of bacon resizing from 500 grams a pkg to 375 grams and a block of cheese was resized form 500 grams to 450 grams a pkg but the price stayed the same...

Sounds like the price of draught beer in the men's and ladies rooms...they made a smaller glass but kept the old price...then they made a bigger glass and charged more...then they made that glass smaller again but kept the old price again...

The tapman (me) had to take the brunt of most complaints...

These mini-rants are good fun until the ice comes! :) (First world probs, after all). The 1 that stuck in my craw was the sign at the little 'coffee kiosk' at work. "Due to the increase in coffee price the price of beverages will increase by 10 cents starting Mon." As I tea drinker I felt ripped off( I guess it was a long time ago with only a 10 cent increase)