Ran into a good CO yesterday

You are required by law to identify yourself if you are involved in a regulated activity (i.e hunting or fishing) or if the LEO is giving you a ticket. Here is an excerpt from a Law Society of Canada document they published as a guide during the recent 'Carding' debacle:

When do I have to show the police identification?

Except in limited circumstances, you do not have tell police your name. Police cannot arrest, detain or search you just to find ID.

Sometimes you must identify yourself.

You must show ID to police if you are doing a licensed or regulated activity. For example, if you are driving a car you have to show ID to prove that you are licensed. If you are drinking alcohol in a bar, or watching a restricted movie, you may have to show ID to prove that you are old enough.

You must provide your name to police if they want to give you a ticket. For example, you must identify yourself if you have been found j-walking, trespassing, drinking in public, or biking without a bell or light. If you do not identify yourself to avoid getting a ticket, you may be criminally charged with obstruct police.

If you have been arrested and you don’t give the police your name, they may not release you.

Lol. You arent facing jail for not carrying id

This is true but if you are in violation of the Fish & Game Act they can demand you identify yourself verbally.

I believe failure to do so can lead to arrest until your identity is confirmed.

Same applies to the LLA.

To give false information can lead to mischief charges.

I've had that same thing happen for me. Glad the CO did the same for you. If everyone that was there with you "forgot" their license and had to have the CO call for each and every person, that would be a disaster

This is true but if you are in violation of the Fish & Game Act they can demand you identify yourself verbally.

I believe failure to do so can lead to arrest until your identity is confirmed.

Same applies to the LLA.

To give false information can lead to mischief charges.

True.

Might land you in jail for a night lol

Crap..I gotta get a bell for my bicycle

And you really gotta wonder...when its noteworthy enough to make a thread on a fishing forum because the CO didn't lay it to you for a minor infraction like that...what kind of a police state do we live in.

I don't know what emote to add to this :dunno:

Edited by Dara

Not a police state Dara, a Revenue State!

HH

CO's have always had a bad rep though.

They let very little go when they have a chance to issue a ticket.

It makes me wonder why.

Could it be because they catch so few people that they have to make everything count or are they just naturally like that.

I haven't personally had trouble with them but since I was 16 I have only seen about 3 of them and for the life of me I can't remember actually showing one my license, fishing or hunting..

I sure hear some horror stories from other guys though

And you really gotta wonder...when its noteworthy enough to make a thread on a fishing forum because the CO didn't lay it to you for a minor infraction like that...what kind of a police state do we live in.

I remember a post from a few years ago where the posted had their rod and reel confiscated because the forgot to bring their license with them. I don't think they should be allowed to do that over such a minor infraction.

^^^ COs are just like cops.

Dont break the law, and when encountered respect their authority and be a decent human.

The outcome will likely be in your favour.

as should the COs or cops respect the person they stop and not have an attitude

I guess in these days of social media, word gets around quickly re folks getting checked and fined.

Instils fear into the public and keeps most folks honest.

Or at least looking over their shoulders.

Probably results in less C0s needed.

CPH, you are so right, treat them with respect you almost always get respect back, glad it worked out for your partner.

Beans, one look at us old farts the last thing they want to do is take us to jail, we wouldn't want to leave; three square meals a day, internet, TV no chores to do, rides to and from medical appointments........... Hey buddy, want to help me rob a bank (we don't actually do it, just say we're going to; never have to worry about paying bills again)

:whistling:

Sounds OK to me Cliff but I'm afraid Sue and Maribeth might have sumpin' to say about it...LOL

I still remember the 2 game wardens back when I first got a hunting licence in 1965 in the old Welland County, Roy Muma and Cec McKeown , real gentlemen, they were of an age that they were probably WW II vets.

Edit : oh and it wasn't the MNR back then , it was the Dept Of Lands and Forests, I actually worked a couple of contracts for them while they were under that name.

Edited by dave524

Many years ago I got to know a CO in French River, Harold Cheley. I so much liked and respected that man and the job he did, he was fair, honest, and just a plain nice person. I lost touch with him a very long time ago, don't know if he is still with the MNR or not, I think he was a few years older than I am so he has probably retired. harold was one of the REALLY good guys!

I did have a run in once with a couple down here in Keswick when I was coming back from duck hunting. I got back to my car a few minutes before case time and they asked if they could look in my cooler, my bag, kept me talking for about 20 minutes then threatened to charge me because my gun wasn't cased. Then they said they were going to give me a written warning, I lost it on them and insisted they charge me, just then a couple of shots went off just up the shore from where we were and they decided they had bigger fish to fry.

But if you think dealing with CO's is bad, try dealing with MTO inspectors; but that's another story!

CO's have always had a bad rep though.

They let very little go when they have a chance to issue a ticket.

It makes me wonder why.

I was ice fishing with sinclair a few years ago and we got checked. I was on a borrowed ATV and he (the CO) asked me for my info in the ATV (papers and ins) and my fishing Lic. I said here is my fishing lic but as per the ATV I am borrowing from my uncle that lives over *point* there so he said ok go get the paperwork and I'll wait here while your buddy and I go over his info then. I took off and came back and zero issues (for me). Up front and honest they are all like us, real people and easy to work with.

Dont break the law, and when encountered respect their authority and be a decent human.

100% the easier you are to deal with the easier it all becomes.

Even "youngone" and I were stopped at the boat ramp on my folks lake, asked how the bite was and what we had kept. The CO asked if he could measure the fish to ensure we were not breaking any rules so we said sure, he looked at what walleye we had; grabbed it and held it up to the sticker we used in the boat to measure and he said "nice fish and have a great day". They are just doing a JOB and there is ZERO point for us to get all bent out of shape when they ask us for info as we are in 'good standing' unless you ARE breaking the rules...

CO Craig out of Minden is one of the good ones too. I've seen him keep his cool while a guy gets in his face, yelling insults at him.

Funny story, ice fishing at 9am he shows up and notices lots of crushed beer cans in my sleigh. I say I obviously haven't had 15 beers this morning. He does his thing, we chat, when he's leaving he says "have a good day, oh yeah Chris, you might want to empty out your sleigh after each day"

You haven't dealt with anyone until you have dealt with a MOE inspector. 90% of them were early retirement RCMP brass. I remember my first encounter when I asked the name of one of them he answered " you will call me Sir or Officer". A wipe. Not you "may" you "will!!". OK that's a great way to get bees, what jack apples. They were all the same too, each and every one. They got yes or no answers and a lot of "I don't recall" from anyone of us. I hope it's changed by now. I know it's wrong but guys started turning a blind eye if there was a spill because they knew they might have to deal with these guys. I wrote the Minister at Queens Park after I left the MOL I had worked with briefly and got a real answer from her and a phone call as well from one of her assistance, they seemed genuinely concerned, I guess I wasn't the first. The Ministry of Labour investigating techniques were the exact opposite. Treat those you come in contact with respect and you will get it in return and better yet good honest answers to your questions.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I think I may have told this story here before. A pal went to Christies Cons. Area to fish the ponds. He parked in a disabled spot and took his placard with him to prove he could fish without a license. He left a note on his dash saying " gone fishing". A by-law guy walked up to him as he was the only person there and asked " do you want a ticket for no licence to fish here or one for illegal parking in a disabled parking space?" He explained the obvious and said he would see him in court, he got the illegal parking ticket. I went to court with him because English is his 3rd language. The Judge went up this guys butt and back for what seemed like forever. He said it's "little" people like him that waste the courts time and attribute to the court back logs. I actually started to feel bad for the guy as he had his head bowed and actually started to cry real tears before the Judge backed off. The Judge said he didn't know he had the authority to issue a fine for a fishing violation. The Crown didn't know either. My buddy pointed out to the court the Disabled placard clearly states on the back "Not to be copied in any way" The Judge told him to make a copy and if he is charged to call him as the Judge actually gave him his office number. The Judge demanded the name of this rent a cops supervisor. He blasted the Crown too for not doing their homework. I wish I could remember the Judges name, he was my ex's Lawyer 28 years ago. This was around 10 years back.

A great way to spend a few hours in court.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

my experience is that they are hard assess until you prove your innocence...then they all of a sudden switch character and start getting chatty.

Last CO i drilled us down, licenses, why arent we keeping fish (i pretty much always C&R) where did our bait come from and even more funny, we had a bag of sardines for the tip ups the most recent time and buddy tried to convince us that the sardines were fish we had kept from Island lake lol.

Once we explained everything with a straight face he then asked us how our fishing was going and was chatty about what others were catching on the lake.

Dara I was actually more impressed with how technology was used in a positive matter. Before cell phones the CO would not have even had that option. I was also impressed that he took the time. He also watched me from 30 feet away throw 2 perch in my bucket while he was checking those around us and never even walked over and talked to me.

To me the whole episode showed he was there to show everyone that there was an MNR presence...so please follow the law...and that he wasn't just there to be a prick and generate revenue.