Spirit moose killed by hunters in NS

chris.brock

I don't know if they were near the end of their trip and were getting desperate, but it seems like a dumb move to me

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/hunters-who-killed-rare-white-moose-say-they-made-a-mistake-1.1489240

I'm sure others will argue it's fair game and open season

Edited by chris.brock

The debate is law vs. ethics and ethics is personal. If the white moose is legal, its a question of ethics killing a more rare variant. In Ontario you can shoot a turkey on the roost as long as it's legal light. I won't, mainly because I don't want to hit the turkey's rear end and don't want to miss the best part of the hunt bringing the turkey in. If I have a doe tag I'll shoot a 100lb button buck but not a 65lb skinny fawn. I mostly fish for species that I'll eat and keep what I need, stop fishing and eat what I keep, not catch and release. The law says I can catch as many as I want as long as I don't exceed my catch limit.

No way hunters, or anyone else for that matter, could be expected to know all the different things natives hold sacred and I personally think their outta line for complaining about this.

But that's just me

No way hunters, or anyone else for that matter, could be expected to know all the different things natives hold sacred and I personally think their outta line for complaining about this.

But that's just me

X2

The albino gene is a recessed gene that is actually a mutation. If it produced lets say a crippling effect on the animal we would shoot it out of compassion. It however does produce a beautiful oddity that I personally like so I have let all albino deer walk on when I hunt.

Art

I'm not a moose hunter.. But the adrenaline that must be pumping when you see a moose, let alone an albino moose, must be close to overwhelming.. As previously mentioned, the last thing on the hunters mind would be native traditions...

Edited by N.A.W

I dont see any issue with this. I can certainly see the aboriginal voicing concerns "if" it was shot within their nation. I assuming it wasn't because i do believe hunting on first nations land requires written consent from the cheif and counsel. If that was the case then the hunters should have been told beforehand. Anyhow...

But that's just me

The leader of the native group called and spoke to the hunters. Upon explaining the importance the hunters now understand and gave the hides for spirtal ceramony. All is good.

I think the issue was not the complaining but complaining to the wrong people.. They went to the media first if they just contacted the hunters first this would be a non story.

some cultures also worship cows and do not eat them, but do you see them protesting and calling the media to report every restaurant that serves beef? respect is a 2 way street, it seems that FN believe that their beliefs trump all others in Canada

beliefs are just that, beliefs....it was once believed the world was flat...

I just can't take FN complaining legitimately....the day they start self reporting band harvest to biologists, then I'll take them as genuinely concerned about our wildlife

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the hunters did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't jacka$$es for doing it. i would have let the animal pass, but i'm not a jerk.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

the hunters did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't jacka$$es for doing it. i would have let the animal pass, but i'm not a jerk.

They're "jerks" and "jackarses" because they took advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity while following the law? Albino animals are rare and beautiful specimens, but how is this any different than shooting a record non typical moose (which would bring nothing but praise and $$$) which is also just as rare or possibly even rarer?

The point is I just don't see why shooting one rarity is okay, but the other is frowned upon.

some cultures also worship cows and do not eat them, but do you see them protesting and calling the media to report every restaurant that serves beef? respect is a 2 way street, it seems that FN believe that their beliefs trump all others in Canada

beliefs are just that, beliefs....it was once believed the world was flat...

I just can't take FN complaining legitimately....the day they start self reporting band harvest to biologists, then I'll take them as genuinely concerned about our wildlife

I do find it hard to disagree with anything you have said here, but the native population of Canada have only their beliefs and culture left to them, the rest has been taken. Once you start treading on their beliefs and not acknowledging their culture then you have effectively indicated that you fail to recognize them as a distinct culture or race period.

That is when the trouble will start!

What ever happened to words like respect and sensitivity?

JMO

Edited by muskymatt