What a horrible day

bigugli

Went for my usual morning walk with Peanut and we were attacked by a big shepherd. Thing came charging from a house across the street. Before I could get between and pick Peanut up, this thing had her between its jaws. Shook her around like a ragdoll. The useless :asshat: of owners just walking up, cursing at their dog, while I'm trying to beat the thing back with my cane. Broke my cane over its back and it still would not let go. When we finally got Peanut free, half the skin on her right side had been flensed right off, and about a dozen more punctures in her hind. Miraculously, she seemed to escape any internal damage, but she's gonna need a lot of time to heal. I'll get to see her this afternoon, and hopefully there won't be any permanent damage.

Edited by bigugli

Man, that's horrible Bruce.

I'm sending my best wishes in peanuts way.

Dog attacks happen very fast, it's tough to react quick enough. It sounds like you did all that you could do.

You need a stronger cane!

I don't want to open a can of worms, but did you press charges? Or can you?

That sucks! :angry:

I was out walking the dog a week or so ago and another person was walking their dog...without a leash. It bolts after my dog, luckily it was more looking to play. I couldn't get between my dog and the other one either. The owner eventually got the dog by the collar as I grabbed mine and exchanged a few choice words. I hate people who don't control their dogs as well or at least think they know how to but really don't have a clue. :wallbash:

Speedy recovery for Peanut and I'd be all over the owners for the vet bills.

Sorry to hear that. You might also decide to take photos of the damage and have the shepherd documented by the local law enforcement. It might get the owner to step up to the plate and contain his animal before it hurt a kid one day.

Art

Sorry to hear.Peanut was on a leash Bruce? The shepard?

If peanut was on a leach and the other not you are fully in your right to go after the other people for full compensation. Broke your cane eh,guess you know what you need the next one made of. Wounldnt hurt to a alittle pop out shiv,just saying.Next time it might be you and peanut.

Hope Peanut comes out ok and not too skittish after this attack.

I'd be going after the owners like flies on crap. Their cavalier attitude needs to be adjusted permanently and with serious consequences and indeed, if it was a young child or infant , who knows what might have happened. I really can't blame the dog, but the owners... Hell, they should be banned from ownership for a long time and forced to do community, cleaning up at a shelter.

Edited by woodenboater

contain his animal before it hurt a kid one day

There was a piece in Friday's Examiner about a woman who had her nose tore off by her neighbour's dog - years of pain, scarring, surgeries etc. Scary stuff when people don't properly restrain their animals. All the best to Peanut, I'm sure you're both very frazzled by the whole thing.

I would definitely call the cops & animal control; dogs regardless of what or who they attack, are only allowed 2 recorded bites,(London bylaw?) before they must be put down. Plus if the owner of the attacking dog cannot provide proof of vaccination shots; the dog will also have to be put in quarantine for X number of days/weeks, along with a fine for the owner.

Get this one recorded by the officials; it’ll give the dog’s owner a bit of a smack up side the head for be so irresponsible. You never know maybe this isn’t its first attack and you’ll be saving someone else’s dog or possible a Child?

Hope for a speedy recovery.

Dan.

the other dogs owner is paying for the damages Right???

had an instance last week where this crazy black dog ran up to me and my buddy walking his english setter... I was about to Boot the other dog before things got out of control... Funny thing was there were 2-3 signs in this park saying KEEP DOG ON LEASH... i told the owner... Can you read you idiot???

That's terrible news Bruce. Hope your friend get's well soon. As awfull as it was, dog's are resilient and they bounce back in no time.

I've had this happen to my pooch in my driveway and he was fine right after.... a little shaken from the ordeal but jumping like it never happened.