Classified Ads

solopaddler

Hey, my very first rant! :thumbsup_anim:

Anyhow I posted a bunch of stuff for sale in the classifieds yesterday.

Each item was priced cheaply in order to facilitate a quick sale.

Prices are listed as being firm.

I've had a total of 17 pm's from different people.

Every one (except one notable exception) either offered me less money or wanted to trade me something.

What gets me is some of these offers were for $10-$20 less than my firm price.

When you stand firm on the price you never hear back from them.

An already great price and people quibble over a few bucks? LOL!

Here's a hint stop wasting my time!

In the future I won't respond to any more inquiries like that.

Rant over. :)

Edited by solopaddler

when my cottage neighbour heard I was considering selling my cottage he offered me 60,000 less than what its worth, but offered to pay "cash"...did he think others were going to pay me in donuts? Still can't figure that one out.

Mmmmmm donuts...

Seriously though...that is funny Rizzo!!!

what do you mean you aren't going to give it to me for free?!?!?!

Ok, kidding aside...

I hate that too. if I don't see firm I often ask what is a decent price for both parties to prevent the bickering over a few bucks. Only when the post has a $ and O.B.O. listed do I do this.

And Kijiji is BRUTAL!

I've purchased a lot on kijiji and unless I see something terribly wrong with the item, I pay the asking price. I recently purchased an adult 10 speed bike from someone locally...when I expressed an interest but couldn't make it out to see it right away, they said they'd hold it for a few days for me. When I saw it, it was a fair asking price, so I added $10 for their courtesy in holding it for me.

I have sold a few items as well...and inflated the price on purpose so that I could negotiate down to the minimum I'd accept.

You were selling quality gear at great prices. If people low-ball you, just laugh and move on. Cheap people will always try to be cheap. If I didn't buy a GLX last season, I'd be all over that Rainshadow.

ps. I'm seriously mulling over the fly reel, but I take gear purchases very, very seriously.

Haha! I know this exact pain and concur heartily. It's worse when you tell them no, and they agree to the price you asked, and then they give you less money ANYHOW! This happened to me once, and I didn't notice until after they left, but I wasn't going to go after them and start trouble for $5 or $10, whatever it was.. But wow, talk about ballsy. I count money now, of course - learned that lesson just the once.

This is something that chaps my :asshat: too. But I've learned to deal with it. I don't want to list an item for more the what I think it's worth, just so the price can get bartered down. I want to list it for what it's worth, and sell if for what it's worth.

You have to play the buyers game when selling.

My views on bargaining totally changed after reading the book "Getting to Yes". I wish they made the book mandatory in schools. It's about "Principled" bargaining.

Regretably, this is the way a free market system works. I go through this every week at St Jakobs. Firm, or fair, mean nothing. All that matters is the deal.

I've simply developed a very thick skin and some sharp cutting sarcasm. Sure beats banging the head against the wall.

Comes with the territory of using a free service to sell your goods. Don't take it personally....it's just folks trying to get a better deal. I deal with it on a daily basis at my studio....folks thinking that if they buy 4 plates I should sell it for less than the asking price, or lowballing me on stuff that I consider to be more than fairly priced. Usually it's just entertaining....sometimes it's irritating. One thing I will say.....nobody every gives you a discount if you don't ask.