For every door that closes another one opens

Big Cliff

As many of you know my career has taken a number of changes in direction. most of my life has been spent in sales and marketing but a few years ago I found myself out of a job unexpectantly. I didn't sit around, went out and found a job as a small engine mechanic, went to school, and this spring wrote and passed my exam.

Work for a small engine mechanic this winter has been slow, the lack of snow ment there wasn't many snow blowers breaking down and sledders didn't get to put many miles on there sleds.

Back in Dec. a local company (I had met the President of the company while doing some small engine repairs for him and we just seemed to hit it off). When he found out that I was laid off for a few months, he asked me to drop in and see him. He asked me if I would be interested in doing some marketing research for them and I decided to do it; Re my post on point of use water coolers which so many of you responded to and helped me with.

Last week I got called into the President's office, he was very impressed with the work I had done for them and asked if I would be interested in joining the company selling and marketing their new line of water coolers and office coffee and food services systems and supplies. The offer was a very generous one, salary, expenses, and bonuses.

Now I had to give this a lot of thought, I really love being a mechanic and I have built a very good reputation locally for doing quality work at a fair price. I take a lot of pride in my work, and love to treat people the way I would like to be treated. The down side for me was that I ended up working 7 days a week trying to please everyone and didn't get much time to enjoy fishing and hunting. It was mostly my own fault, I hated to say no to anyone.

The new job is Monday to Friday, the products are quality, the prices are excellent, and the people I will be working with are wonderful! So here I go again LOL.

Anyway, the whole point of of my post is to give those who are looking for work the benifit of my experience; look outside of the box, network, network, network, and explore every opportunity. I can't say that this will work out for me, but it is an awsome opportunity that I intend to explore and give it my best shot!

I fully intend to continue to do the small engine repairs for frends, family, and OFNr's but for now it will be my hobby and passion rather than my job and it will be when I can and want to.

Exellent Cliff!If its a high quality product that you believe in it will be fun.I will warn you that its very hard to go back working for someone if you have been out on your own,making your own hours and business decisions.Try to keep that old network alive in case the new one falls thru.Hope you get some time off for Lakair this year.

Joe

Good luck to you and yours. A feel good story that gives us some hope and inspiration that there is much more out there to explore. Currently my wheels are spinning in the mud and its getting very frustrating !

Note to self........start networking

Nice job Cliff

I am sure that your abilities will make this a winner. Just make sure your engine repair abilities stay sharp I never know when I will need to call you with questions. Does this help or hurt your chances of making Lak Air?

Art

:thumbsup_anim:

Way to go seems so passe, but, way t'go Cliff. Could'nt happen to a better man. After all the slogging you've been through, you deserve a break, Good luck to you, and I bet Sue is a lot happier too !

Jack

Nice job Cliff

I am sure that your abilities will make this a winner. Just make sure your engine repair abilities stay sharp I never know when I will need to call you with questions. Does this help or hurt your chances of making Lak Air?

Art

Well Art, I can't say for sure yet but if all goes well I just might be able to at least come and spend a day with the gang. I'm working on it!

:thumbsup_anim:

Way to go seems so passe, but, way t'go Cliff. Could'nt happen to a better man. After all the slogging you've been through, you deserve a break, Good luck to you, and I bet Sue is a lot happier too !

Jack

Well, she sure likes that I don't come home covered in dirt and smelling like stale gas LOL She seems happier that I now wear my wedding ring again but no matter what she always supports me in anything I do!

So when are we goin' fishin'? :lol:

Pick a weekend, any weekend LOL.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone this family ROCKS!

Cliff, there have been a few posts lately from folks at loose ends, facing a crossroad in their careers, and stuck. You are providing a model for these folks, and for the rest of us too, because we never know when we will be faced with these tough decisions like yours.

Thanks for sharing your life experiences about finding a way forward. Well done.

Cliff, being one of those guys you helped out (your instructions are amazing) congrats on you new venture and hope it works out for you.

Let us know what kind of products you are marketing.

All the best, Albert

Always happy to help Albert!

I will put a post in the Members Business Directory regarding products and services.

Yep good things happen to good people. :)

Congrats Cliff, though I expect that between the new job and the small engine repair your still going to find it tough to find "me time".

The big difference is that I will now limit the small engine repairs to friends and family at least until I see where this new path will take me. So far so good but it is early yet, I really like my boss, he actually listens to my ideas and is very supportive! It is actually fun to be able to go home at the end of the day and not have to worry about all the stuff that goes along with running a business!