Shake, Break and Bake

irishfield

Lloyd buried his best friend a week ago last Monday and needed a holiday... me, well I'm game most anytime. The usual suspects and then some were invited... but it ended up being just the two of us. This worked out very well anyhow... as it allowed us to run and gun with ease to learn more of the lake, it's structure and fish movement. Lloyd had just bought a sled from Mistyriver on the way thru Toronto heading for Temagami.... had his insurance slip in hand already and changed the ownership when he hit Barrie. This made travel great for our selves and gear..... but it did take it's toll though thanks to lake conditions.

I headed for the lake about 11am on Tuesday. Arrived to find my neighbour had my laneway all prepared for me. Good thing our recently deceased neighbour, Walter Bowen, had the old dozer in the back yard on their island or this slush/snow wouldn't have been moved.

mar091.jpg

I fished off our dock in 25 FOW for a couple hours while waiting for Lloyd to arrive. He made pretty good time... left work at noon in Port Hope.. to Markham to grab his, spankin new to him, 1996 Grand Touring Skidoo. Licence bureau, grocery store for our provisions and still made Temagami by 8pm just as the sun was disappearing.

Now anyone that has fished with Lloyd knows sleep is apparently over rated! lol.. up at 5am and out. Thank God the clocks went forward... he let me sleep 'till 5:50 each morning and we fished 'till 7 or 8 PM most days.

Wednesday was about 5 degrees and a tad slushy to start out. WIND.. 90 K and gusts. Made hut set up extremely dangerous.. and we both have bruised foreheads and noses to prove it... from when the huts went "auto set up mode" a few times! :w00t:

mar092.jpg

We moved and moved trying to get out of the wind. Here we are up by Bear Island off the entrance to Kokoko Bay. Found a wind break and fished for about 30 minutes. I snagged something with both lines and lost two hooks.. moved 35 feet and snagged something again. Tree/phone line/hydro line I don't know... just know I'm short three baits. Lloyd on the other hand... well he can pull a rabbit out of a hat it appears. :wallbash:

mar093.jpg

We then headed further up the lake and found someone's hut, hopefully not John the Fishermans, had tumbled for about a 1000 feet. We picked up the wreckage... fishing rods.. axe... heater.. propane bottles and put it all inside the wreckage and moved on.

mar094.jpg

Lloyd wanted me to try out his sled... so here he is driving my train headed for home. We couldn't take the wind anymore and couldn't get out of it no matter how we tried. In at 2:30 on day one. Temps dropped so quick the snow flash froze in less than an hour and man what a ROUGH ride home that was.

mar095.jpg

Next morning up and out early (6:30) and it was -21C but thankfully sunny. Didn't take Lloyd long to get the first.....

mar096.jpg

mar097.jpg

and second

mar098.jpg

Amazing how fast 7:30 PM comes when you're havin fun !

mar099.jpg

Friday brought -25/26C.. but again sunshine... and again high winds.

Shameless spam.. lol

mar09a.jpg

Shortly after... our first whitie of the trip and the only fish of the day if I remember correctly.

mar09b.jpg

Just so you know what I caught... You're a funny guy Lloyd ! :glare:

mar09c.jpg

mar09d.jpg

Next day out, not far from home, we came across this mess. I have no problems with the fish etc on the ice ( the birds had it gone next day)...but why kill the ling for nothing... and ummmm the illegal chub bait is not good.

mar09f.jpg

mar09e.jpg

Setting up in the early section of the North Arm

mar09g.jpg

We caught nothing there.. marked lots like many places... just not interested. They'll follow but not hit and it started to get frustrating. We talked to many on the lake and the same was the norm most everywhere. Decided we'd go hit a back lake, Secret, and despite drilling 45 holes.. we couldn't buy a fish there either. Beauty spot though !

mar09h.jpg

Smacked my auger on the way out.. bending the throttle lever.. cross bar etc. Just one of many things buggered in 6 days.

mar09i.jpg

Abandoned cabin on the way out of the trail

mar09j.jpg

Decided to hit the renowned Rabbit Nose Bluffs on the way back out. Doesn't look that big 'till you spot that hut at the bottom of it !

mar09k.jpg

Didn't mark or catch anything there.. Gave it a bit..and note Lloyd is sitting in 70 FOW that close to shore.

mar09l.jpg

and then headed in just before dark stopping in Portage bay so Lloyd could pull a Whitie from someone's old hole.

lloyd1a.jpg

Saturday it didn't take us long to get into some fish. Changed our tactics a bit and it worked.

mar09m.jpg

:whistling:

mar09n.jpg

mar09o.jpg

mar09p.jpg

mar09q.jpg

mar09r.jpg

mar09s.jpg

mar09t.jpg

Released..

mar09u.jpg

Sunday was so gorgeous... after 4 days of high wind Sunday was dead calm and hit about 10C. Didn't take us long to decide we didn't wanna pack up at noon.. so we didn't and stayed the full day and overnight. Heck we'll fish Monday tooooo.

mar09v.jpg

lloyd2a.jpg

Can't beat hot soup on the ice...

mar09w.jpg

And hot sandwich wraps...

mar09x.jpg

The end to an absolutely beautiful day on the ice... well almost the end.

mar09y.jpg

mar09z.jpg

lloyd4a.jpg

I talked Lloyd into staying out after the sun had gone down completely... and I don't think he was too upset with my request !

mar09z1.jpg

mar09z2.jpg

Monday Lloyd got up at 6 and headed out... I just couldn't do it... stayed in bed 'till 7 with 5 hours sleep! Soon after me arriving at our meeting spot.. Lloyd with another.

mar09z3.jpg

and another

lloyd3a.jpg

We headed in at noon and I had Lloyd on his way by 1pm... well until he stuck his van and sled trailer thru the upper crust of the ice road. Pulled him out with my trusty ford and he was on his way. I packed up.. winterized the plumbing again and headed over to my neighbours to check out their building progress. Just after arriving their kitchen cupboards showed up. YES driving on the ice is a way of life...

mar09z4.jpg

And as for the busted stuff. Anyone pulling a hut take note. We lost most of the bolts/nuts out of both our huts. NYTROL don't mean ....... ! They loosened and fell off ! Llloyd had carriage bolts break the heads right off on his. Lost UHMW wear strips. Lost hitch pins. Lloyd's 22 year old auger that has been everywhere... power head bolts backed off and we had to dismantle the gear box to tighten them up. My hut is full of holes... from the hoop tubes bouncing and rubbing thru the material. The handle even fell off my coffee pot that I boil the soup water in. Lloyd left his hut way behind one day and I had a good laugh... then 2 hours later... he got the laugh. Lost my snow shoes and found them later.. Lloyd had his rod bag fly out of his COVERED hut and also his seat cushion. All found. Other stuff broke as well... it seemed to be endless... but our sleds ran perfect... all 380KM we put on them !!

Minimum ice thickness we found anywhere on the lake was 24 inches. Many places the auger handles were just above the ice at break through. Should do this every week... lost 8 lbs drilling over 200 holes....

Now bring on the soft water... the boats ready to go.....

Edited by irishfield

Fantastic report and pictures Wayne. Love the "not Terry" pics, teehee.

Looks like you two had a great couple of days up there. Also looks like Lloyd is one of them thar "lucky" fishermen B)B)

Good stuff :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Great report Wayne

Sign Sign everywhere a sign. Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

ah.....yeah

I am glad I was there in spirit

looks like a good time, too bad about the equipment taking a beating

nice eye

wish I was there, but I did get out and caught whitie, yea Lloyd I caught fish

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29736

We then headed further up the lake and found someone's hut, hopefully not John the Fishermans, had tumbled for about a 1000 feet. We picked up the wreckage... fishing rods.. axe... heater.. propane bottles and put it all inside the wreckage and moved on.

I must say that it was very windy on Friday, and my hut did move a bit. About 20 ft, but thank Christ that was not my hut you came upon. I am sure whoever owned (not much good now) that one appreciated your help in gathering up their stuff. Good post and pics.

And yes I agree with you about leaving the mess, and using those Chub. They don't come from here, so they don't belong here (unless their used as dead baits).

JTF