What do you drive ?

FISHINGNUT

Just wondering what you guys use to tow your toys around and what your hauling. The time is near my lease is almost up on my truck. I have been looking and cant believe how trucks have been comming down in price .I have owned a pick up for the last 21 years but with the gas prices as volitile as they are I am not sure if thats the way I want to go any more .Granted I only work 16 km round trip from home but its when I want to tow the boat any where or go on a trip I feel the gas prices.I have 2 kids so a 4 door is need I tow my 17.5 aluminum bow rider on average 15 times a season and in the winter a snow mobile trailer.I currently am driving an 06 hemi 4x4 quad cab which I have been VERY happy with .It tows my boat like there is nothing even on the back but I really think its over kill for my needs.I have been looking at a used SUV Pontiac Torrent,Ford Escape ,Chev trailbazer something along those lines.These newer 6 cylinders seem to pull just fine and I am sure I will get better than 9.6 mpg Thanks for your input.

n656435790_947202_8000.jpg

n656435790_947203_8305.jpg

Edited by FISHINGNUT

I'm real happy with my 2005 Safari and it tows the boat with no problem whatsoever. It handles well and is as comfortable as most cars. I removed the 3rd seat and it gives me more space for hauling stuff around than I ever need

This was my 2nd new Safari and if GM hadn't discontinued them in 05, I'd be buying another new one in the next couple years.

Excellent tow vehicle.

Cnv0931.jpg

Like Lew, I tow my Crestliner (16') with a minivan. Mine is a 2002 Pontiac Montana. It leaks coolant and a bit of oil, but at this point is still cheaper to top up fluids than to replace the head gasket and fix the coolant line.

The lockable added storage is priceless for trips. I tend to take out which ever seats I will not need for a particular trip, then load her up.

Jim

I just gave my dad my 1994 Ranger XL single cab with the 2.3 4 cylinder and upgraded to a 2004 Ford Ranger supercab with the 3.0 v6. I love the 2004 Ranger with the little bit more balls of the v6 and the added space for dry storage. The gas is a little more than that of the 94 but I imagine it is still nothing in comparison to those of the large V8's. This is my second Ranger and I am quite happy with them. I don't tow heavy toys around so the Ranger is perfect for me all I drag behind me is my snowmobiles and my little 14' tinny.

Dave

Guest buick14

I have a 5.9L jeep which takes premium fuel......sucks gas all the time............used to have a jeep with the 4.0L...that sucked more gas when towing I guess because that thing was working overtime (these were for 15ft fiberglass boats)

the ford escape are amazing on fuel in 4 cyl model, but wouldnt be able to tow any more than a CRV

I think the only option for you here is to sell your boat and truck, and buy one of those old Amphicars so you can have the best of both worlds

I hope you choose wisely

post-3289-1233409241_thumb.jpg

96 Jeep GC with 5.2- great towing rig and daily driver- almost at 400,000 kms and still running strong. Poor mileage foe sure, especially when towing- but that is to be expected. Now running a 2001 Jeep GC with the 4.0 litre- little better mileage, but towing just naturally uses more gas- no matter what. Gas will always be expensive from now on- look at the pump price compared to crude now- if crude ever climbs to $100/barrel again ( when, not if) the pumps will be at $1.50 easy. If fishing is what you do- then we must put up with it.

I drive a 2006 Silverado. I just sold a 06 and a 05 with bigger engines. Mine now has a 5.3ltr and I get around 575-600 km per tank. You have to drive them normal and one trick is never jump off the start with them. I do not find a difference towing much as long as I take it easy and dont push it I'm usually down ab out 50 -75 km less. I have put a K&N filter kit with tube on there and levelled off the truck. Put a bottle of seafoam in every 2 tanks and change the fluids before reccomended times. Love these trucks. When on the highway travelling outside traffic I get almost 700 km, trick is to keep it under 2000 rpm's usually giving you around 105-110 km per hr. I change the fuel filter every 4 oil changes as well.

my main tow vehicle is a 2003 seirra z71 with a 4.8l v8 it'll get 700 km to a tank driving nice towing a ranger bass boat gets about 500-580 to a tank.

With the newer trucks the best fuel mileage is the new gmc/chev full size with the 5.3l with the cylinder management function seen this truck get 30mpg hwy and get respectable mileage towing the worst on fuel is dodge and toyota trucks but no matter who you choose for a full size there are all great high quality pieces these days

2000 Ford Ranger XLT with the 3 litre v6. Tows my 17 foot crestliner nicely. I've owned it about 4 years and so far (touch wood) I'm quite happy with it. Not the best on gas - but I think it's a good compromise between big and small.

Edited by Rob V

Since 1991 Chevy Astros and a GMC Safari, 4.3L v-6 engine, all bought used, never any major problems with them. Engine might be the base engine for the Chevy pickup now? Think they stopped making the Astro-Safari line in 2005. The one I have is 2000.

My boat is a 17 foot aluminum, maybe 1500 pounds for boat motor and trailer? Also pull a 6.5x12 tandem axle utility trailer with 2 foot sides that I haul firewood in from the saw mill, holds 1.25 cords, heavy for that van but doable with care, guessing around 5000 pounds, wood and trailer.

2006 Honda Odysee , tows our 1775 Lund Classic with no problem That include 5 people and gear .

Have travelled as far as Dryden and almost everyweek end somehwere .My biggest concern was handleing launchs but have yet to have an issue from Pier 69 Marina( Steepest ramp in Ontario!) on GBay to to back road 'access points' to the Ottawa valley

Have over 130,00 km on it.

Decent mileage , lots of room for stuff and makes a decent camper with the hideaway seats !

May move to a 4x4 once the kiddies are all grown.

TB