What do you drive ?

FISHINGNUT

2006 Jeep Commander, avg 15mpg very happy with it a little over kill for what I tow I don't even need to use the tow button, but eventually will get a bigger boat. Excellent 4x4, In fact I like jeeps so much I will be upgrading my wife's camry to a diesel GC in 4-5 years and will keep this one for as long as I can.

DSCF0094.jpg

Edited by Bigfisherman

Started with a 01 Sierra with a 4.8 V8. Towed great and great on gas. Now have a 95 Suburban with a 5.7. I try not to tow with it because it's so bad on gas now.

Getting an XL Denali in a couple weeks with a 6.2 V8. Won't be the best on gas but a huge improvement over the suburban.

Can't say I've done any towing with it yet, but I'm really happy with my 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. It gets great fuel mileage and specs. say it can tow up to 2700lbs, Which will be enough for when I get my first boat, and not too bad for a little 4-cyl. I'm loving the handling it has due to the low center of gravity on the boxer engine. Haven't been stuck with it yet, and I've driven it on some pretty hairy roads.

IMG_3231.jpg

Since you mentioned some other smaller SUV's I will suggest you look into the new (think it started in '08) model Subaru Forresters. They did away with the old boxy look and made them much more SUV like. I was really tempted to buy one of these last summer but opted to go the used route instead. Great looking vehicles, gas mileage was good from what I remember, and lots of space. When I compared pricing of them compared to Honda CRV, Toyata, RAV 4, Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox and Hyundai Santa-FE, the forrest came back with the lowest price. The standard all-time all wheel drive is pretty nice too.

Yo Drifter Davey,

nice boat...I have the 17 version with a 115 on the back.....I used to pull it with a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport with a 4 liter 6 cyl, I had it three months and a guy offered me $3000 more than I paid for taxes inc.......sold the 4runner and picked up a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain with a 4.7 8cly HO in it.....small 8 with 265 horse and 330lb torque........and I put $13,000 in the bank after I cashed the check from the 4runner and bought the Jeep......gas is not an issue, I have an Esso card from work and Ontario is my territory......so is every lake!!!.

both cars towed the boat NO problem.....aluminum is light.

RR

Yo Drifter Davey,

nice boat...I have the 17 version with a 115 on the back.....I used to pull it with a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport with a 4 liter 6 cyl, I had it three months and a guy offered me $3000 more than I paid for taxes inc.......sold the 4runner and picked up a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain with a 4.7 8cly HO in it.....small 8 with 265 horse and 330lb torque........and I put $13,000 in the bank after I cashed the check from the 4runner and bought the Jeep......gas is not an issue, I have an Esso card from work and Ontario is my territory......so is every lake!!!.

both cars towed the boat NO problem.....aluminum is light.

RR

I.ve done a little customizing on mine. Trailer and boat were painted to match my old bronco. Carpet was changed to blue as well. And last spring I did a total rebuild of the helm.

Before

old.jpg

After

new2.jpg

I want to replace the LMS 350 with one of the new Lowrance HDS-10 units. :clapping:

I also want to repower with a 4 stroke. Just need to find the $$$$$$$$$$

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have a 2005 GMC Safari that I bought new. The only reason I bought this vehicle was I needed the room of a mini van, and this was the only real choice when it came to towing capacity and rear wheel drive.

Overall, I am not the least bit impressed with the thing to date! Outdated features and lots of little things have gone wrong with it. It is full of rattles and is drafty in any kind of winter weather. It has absolutely no place to put my size 12 boots due to the wheel humps taking up so much space. Ahhh well, what can you do?

I tow a 17 foot Bass boat and a larger 6 1/2' x 12' utility trailer loaded with fire wood.

I have a 2003 Toyota Rav 4 for getting to and from work. 60 km each way cost a small fortune in the van. The Toyota is only a 2.0L 4 cylinder, and can't tow much more than itself. It is however reasonable on fuel at 10 liters per 100km (28 MPG HWY) and very stable in this winter weather with all wheel drive.

I tow my boat with a 98 Chevy truck but find it struggles going up large hills . Thinking about going to a large V8

It struggles going up hills?? My 2003 F150 only has the tiny (less than 300 cu in) 4.6 litre Triton V8 and has no issues pulling my boat anywhere. Most of the time I even leave it in OD on the flats and kick it down ahead of grades so it doesn't lug the tranny up the hill.... and I only turn the OD off once I get into some real hilly stuff. My old '98 GMC with the 5.7/350cu in engine in it has no more pulling power than this litte 4.6 V8 Thanks to the many "gears" of each 1/2/Drive in the transmission to keep the torque up to the rear wheels. Tranny shifts about 8 times to get to drive.

OFNMuskieGetTogether004.jpg

OFNMuskieGetTogether006.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I drive a 2004 Ford Explorer and like wayne I have the 4.6l v8.That little motor has more than enough towing power.The truck came rigged with a tow package and it will pull 6,800lbs.It's also as good on gas as some of the v6's out there.Plus those motors are almost bullet proof.

IMG_00046.JPG

Dan

Edited by Percher