A few slobs ruin it for many good folks.

lew

Here's a couple articles in local papers about the ignorant jerks that fish Chemong Causeway. I fished that lake for years and it's really hard to fathom what slobs some people really are.

Lots of other lakes have the same issues and it's no wonder so many fishing spots are getting more difficult to access.

Just thought some may find these articles interesting...or maddening.

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/7517155-county-of-peterborough-to-deal-with-trash-problem-along-james-a-gifford-causeway/

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/7566703-county-looking-to-limit-fishing-along-bridgenorth-causeway-to-deal-with-litter/

It's sad that it's come to this. They say they can't afford to police the littering issue, so how are they going to police the no trespassing.

Too bad another shore spot is going to be lost and this will be the beginning of more closures.

It only takes a few to ruin it, but this was more than a few at this spot. It seemed like everyone just left their crap after fishing.

Sad, but the list goes on and on. The owner of a marina here in Wasaga is kind and generous enough to allow people to fish for salmon and bows off his property. The thanks he gets??? You guess it----litter, garbage, litter!!! Goes beyond dumb! At some point the owner will close this good spot. If I were him I would have done so already!

Edited by SirCranksaLot

Sad, but the list goes on and on. The owner of a marina here in Wasaga is kind and generous enough to allow people to fish for salmon and bows off his property. The thanks he gets??? You guess it----litter, garbage, litter!!! Goes beyond dumb! At some point the owner will close this good spot. If I were him I would have done so already!

Why I tape bags to the trees, as you know ,at a spot up there. I have found most use them. It also helps that the ones that fish the area, will not tolerate any b s.

I hear you B, when we fished the river with the BIG HILL the only thing we took down was our gear, we walked back up to eat and leave. back then you were able to drive down with. 4x4 and people did their thing and wrecked it and then the gate went up!

Why take garbage with you?

It's sad that it's come to this. They say they can't afford to police the littering issue, so how are they going to police the no trespassing.

It's far easier to deal with trespass than littering. You need to witness someone actually littering to write the ticket. With trespass, if you are there contrary to posted signage well....

I just don't understand people. Why would anyone throw garbage on the ground? Or out your car window? Clean your own dang mess up people, don't be such an arrogant slob that you expect someone else to look after it. Boggles my mind that people do stuff like this. There are some lazy lazy dirty people on this earth.

Welcome to the country where people come to enjoy the fresh air and outdoors; then throw their garbage out their of their car, into ditches, on the ground. Years ago beans and I were at a fairly remote spot, there were garbage cans but people still threw garbage on the ground, too lazy to walk a few extra feet.

A number of places on Sturgeon lake have been closed because people were leaving garbage all over the place. A friend use to allow people to fish from his place until someone took a dump on his steps as a thank you. Too sad!

Edited by Big Cliff

Unreal. I don't think I've ever fished there but if I do I'll be bringing garbage bags with me!

Good 4U. I thought it was Hippy Bob that was doing that. Does anybody collect the bags from the posts?

We both do, and yes, if it,s filled, I take to the trash.

Funny how, out of towners, do this eh????????????????

Edited by Misfish

We both do, and yes, if it,s filled, I take to the trash.

Funny how, out of towners, do this eh????????????????

No it's called respect outta towners or in towners why are people so lazy nowadays?? if you can carry it in heavier then when it's done carry back out Algonquin today seen beer cans timmies cups ETC. why why why??

No it's called respect outta towners or in towners why are people so lazy nowadays?? if you can carry it in heavier then when it's done carry back out Algonquin today seen beer cans timmies cups ETC. why why why??

NO NO NO

I meant, WE, out of towners put up the bags, and take away ROD.

It's not going to get better. Take a look at any high school cafeteria. You need to wade through the garbage on the floor. It's so bad custodians have slipped and fallen on the debris.

I grounded my son for 2 weeks for littering. He threw a candy wrapper out my car window. Parents these days need to smarted the hell up.

S.

Back in the sixties my dad would have kicked my ass if he saw me throw any form of garbage on the ground. So yes Sinker I agree with you 100% people need to learn this at home. My kids now in their early thirties and late twenties are more like my dad then I am; if I throw a cig butt on the ground I get frowned upon and scolded. LOL

Dan.

We need to properly understand the issue and how to help the public on this one. Easy way out is to close off/fine the public.

We've always had those 'few slobs' Lew. Remember that in the 50's we used used motor oil in our 2 stroke outboard motors. Do we care more for the environment now since we have 2-stroke outboard oil and 4-stroke motors? Or is some of it to do with marketing? Back then we used paper bags for everything from lunch to groceries. Now everything is plastic. Worms were caught by anglers and kept in a can that would rust away. If bought worms came in a fold-top cardboard box. Now all styrifoam. Now there's more people with better vehicles to drive to go fishing to places like the causeway.... but who have fewer places to go due to a zillion factors like development and private property owners and municipalities closing off access due to all the bother.

I see no reason why the lazy municipality can't install hanging waste containers along the guard rail to help deal with their workers getting hurt while clambering around the rocks. I see no reason why local worm peddlers can't be asked, legislated .... or be provided with paper/cardboard containers which quickly deteriorate.

It's good for tourism/local economy to have anglers along the causeway. It also keeps these folks away from more sensitive areas where their presence may affect a fishery and/or access.

To me I suggest a huge parking lot at each end of the causeway. Chainlink fence to deter road crossing and access to the causeway shore. Install floating docks along each side and with a controlled access at each end the users will pay access via parking fee at the lots or entrance fee at the four turnstyle gates at each side and end.

Volunteers or municipal workers could even install fish habitat such as brushpiles from cabled Xmas trees under water to improve fish habitat. The floating dock would also provide refugia and shade for fish.

Sure it costs time and money in the short term. But as they say... build it and they will come.'

As said we've always had those 'few slobs' among us. That won't change. Just look at the highway off ramps where people toss garbage from their vehicles at the red light. Used vibrators to plastic juice bottles filled with urine from busy salesmen.... Tim Hortons stuff EVERYWHERE along the roads and launches. Hey maybe pass a bylaw for TM to pay a monthly cleanup fee since most of the roadway duff has their name on it.

Looking to the future the causeway has to have a proper plan to help both tourists and local residents (who the municipality is supposed to be working for). The above are just a few ideas and observations as to what and why a plan is called for rather than just a locked gate.

I also know a few locals up there and they don't like seeing 'other cultures fishing out their lake' via angling at the causeway. This is also in need to address via education campaign at local schools.

Edited by cisco

This is something that needed to happen, no littering signs would not make a difference. These people do not respect the land or their privileges, and will continue to abuse their right. The white bucket brigade is down there everyday, full families of them. They leave all their trash, and keep whatever fish can be grinded up, into fish patties. Do you know many locals that do that?? I don't, know any that do.

this sucks for a shore angler like me having to pay for the repercussion of other peoples actions and ignorance

there not much we can do guys yeah we can add trash bins or tape bags to the tree but these ignorant ppl will still litter

and thats one thing we cant change.. the people! i fish here for crappie sometimes its a great place ppl just ruin it for others

it doesnt matter who it is...its about knowledge

my buddies threw all of their ciggs in the lake too until i ripped them apart for it...they are somewhat better but nowhere near perfect.

they also threw the plastic from their ciggarette packs out the window while driving too.

These are the same guys that literally dont recycle at all...everything goes straight into the trash. Fully white, 3rd generation canadians.

its literally ignorance...surprise surprise.

I really hope not one single friggin one of the people in this thread complaining about the "crowd" that is littering are smokers that throw their butts on the ground or in the lake because guess what you are just as much of a slob as these guys and your ignorance is the only thing giving you a false sense of superiority.

Edited by AKRISONER