Mid-life crisis motorcycle advice. NF

captpierre

Thinking about getting a bike to tour around cottage country with the wifie.

Motorcycle virgin but bicycle a lot.

58 yr old, fairly fit, 5ft 6, 160 lb. wife is smaller.

Always been afraid of motorcycles.

They don't call them donercycles for nothing.

Thought if I stay out of the city, drive country paved roads at off peak times and be super vigilant- it might be a lot of fun.

Is this a good idea at my age?

Is it much more challenging/dangerous with a passenger?

What size and type of bike should I look at?

I'm not a speed demon. Safety and comfort for 2 is most important.

Kinda partial to Honda but open to anything.

Likely used.

Thanks.

You have to get your m1 and you cant have passengers for a time or highways or alcohol

A passenger makes a big difference if they don't know about leaning. Or leaning the wrong way

But it is a great feeling to be cruising the backroads with the wind in your hair

Wish I still had hair. Lol

But I do have a bike and love it

Edited by Terry

A good friend of mine has rode for many years, never had a crash; until three weeks ago.

On a secondary road, just putting along, no other traffic in sight. He felt something not right with the bike, starts slowing down and at 60klm the rear tire blew. Spits him, his wife into the ditch with the bike landing on top of them.

They both lay in the ditch for at least an hour; before someone found them. He has a broken arm, collar bone, three ribs, a puncher-ed lung and to top it all off a torn aorta. They may need to go and open his chest up, if it doesn't start to heal on its own.

His wife not so many broken bones; but her helmet was split wide open; yup brain damage.

She still in critical care; they waiting/hopping the swelling goes down without surgery. If it does she's looking at long tern rehabilitation at Park-wood hospital here in London. Hopefully she can get some of her motor skills and speech back?

What do I think of motorcycles; take a guess.

Dan.

Most bikers have an accident or fall at least once. A friend of mine fell a few weeks after I mentioned this fact, fortunately he was not hurt bad, sold his bike after. Another friend hung his broken bone pins on his handle bars as reminder after he healed up from a fall.

You may not fall but I think the odds are against you.

True enough Terry.

Some of the stunts I've pull in cars, I shouldn't be here either.

It's just that I have had so many friends and family hurt or killed on bikes; I just don\t want to see any more.

Each to their own.

Dan.

I have been asked this question by many friends who are in their fifties with the same thoughts as you. I always say DON'T DO IT!

I have other friends that have been riding bikes all their lives and there is no changing them (until they have a close call).

Get a classic car and tour the back roads in that! You will get more looks with one of those and your wife will be way more comfortable. No need for new licence or paying the high insurance costs associated with a motorcycle. I have seen too many people's lives changed because of a motorcycle accident, not because they are bad drives, but because of the other bad drivers on the road.

I have ridden 2-3-4 wheelers and street raced, I am thankful none ever caused me a young life crisis!

With most of the people I know that were injured riding? It wasn't their fault, but if you are scarred or disabled for the rest of yours? How much fun can that be?

http://www.progressmobility.com/ew-11-scooter.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2deizvfZ1QIVRTaBCh3SnQ2IEAQYASABEgJEp_D_BwE

http://www.bennettgolfcars.ca/inventory/2012-club-car-precedent-electric-stouffville-on-l4a-7x4-1867948i

Catch the wind!

Since you will be new to it, it's extra dangerous if you're not comfortable and confident on the bike. Carrying a passenger is harder, more dangerous and less enjoyable IMO.

Do you have any buddies with a cruiser you could try out on a deserted country road?

I've always shied away from on road bikes.

Had a dirt bike that was a ton of fun though. :)

Up here in the NWT we can run side by sides and 4 wheelers on the roads as long as you have insurance and they are plated.

Don't know what the rules are back in Ontario but if allowed would be a safer option and just as much fun. ;)

I have rode and built motorcycles since 1978 . I have been on bikes as small as 350 up to 1200 cc from cruisers to full blown race bikes. I have gone down on a bike twice and walked away from them with no broken bones but lots of aches and pains. That all said the first bike needs to be small enough for you to be able to manhandle it such as a 350 or 400 in an cruiser style very basic and under powered for attempting 2 people rides. After you get comfortable and master the bike then you might feel like getting a 650 or greater and be able to ride 2 people. Personally I do not ride 2 up because if they get hurt or killed it would make me feel like I was the reason for this. I will say the ability to ride a bike has no bearing on riding a motorcycle because of the weight difference, acceleration and braking do not cross over. If you do decide that you want to get a motorcycle you might want to find an old dirt bike and trail ride it to see if you have the low speed balance and coordination before going on the road. You can always trade or sell it if you do decide to get a road bike.

Art

you want one of these boys

You wouldn't believe how fast your man card gets pulled if you show up to a ride with one of those and you are not wheelchair bound or over 75 years old. Now find an old VW chopper and you are golden because it is retro cool. Go figure....lol

Art

True enough Terry.

Some of the stunts I've pull in cars, I shouldn't be here either.

It's just that I have had so many friends and family hurt or killed on bikes; I just don\t want to see any more.

Each to their own.

Dan.

When I was in my teens, I had buddies that rode. I started learning on a gold wing. Even took it for tours on my own, ya, no lic. Then I had 2 very close buddies get killed. They were cut off, went into a ditch, had their head cut off by the guard cable. That ended all my plans of being a bike rider.

Dont mean to be a downer, but I felt the need to share.

As was mentioned before - check into the insurance issues before you commit yourself. I've had my motorcycle license since I was 16, BUT because I haven't owned (read maintain active paid insurance on) a bike for many years I found out it would cost as much/more for insurance than for a couple of bikes I was considering - and they weren't big hawg cruisers either! My landlord thought he would save a ton using a bike he bought that needed "minor" work (if he could ever get it to run), spent a few hundred on parts, (didn't get it to run) then he went out and got the biker leather jacket & gloves, high end helmet (bike still not running) went and failed his motorcycle course twice before getting the learner permit (bike still not running - used a loaner) then went and asked about insurance (bike still not running - this is now 3 years I'm watching all this and bashing him over the head about checking into insurance) and found out it would cost him 3-4 times more for the insurance than what he could possibly hope to save in gas etc in his car. Jacket, helmet & gloves (about 800.00 worth) in the closet, bike in the shed (STILL not running). He's out quite a chunk of change with a bunch of unused stuff (including the bike) just because he wouldn't make the call to enquire about insurance FIRST.

Now if insurance costs (along with all the rest) are not a concern then indulge yourself but DO take the safety courses, both for the learning and the riding experience. Initially, try to ride with at least one other bike if not a group (safety in numbers) and do remember you can't carry a passenger until you are fully licensed, insured, equipped, trained and experienced! Get through all that and then you will indeed have FUN!

Michael

I echo what aplumma has said, for a first bike get something small. Your not a tiny guy but not big either, I'm not sure if Honda still make the Rebel but something akin to it would be a perfect beginners bike. Lightweight so you can learn to ride properly (counter steering is a thing to wrap your head around) & if you lay it down easy enough to pick up. You can always move up in CC's when you have a good feel for riding, If the wife wants to ride it would be better for her to ride her own machine instead of being the monkey (sidecar racing term) especially if you're a new rider

There is a nice looking smaller bike for sale in Lindsay at the esso on Angeline for $2,200 or so? Seen it getting a snack, it's locked up inside between the pizza place and the gas station.

I do echo the comments on cost and safety. I looked into it last year (in my 40's) just to putt to work and back and nope, wasn't going to save anything. I had my dirtbike growing up and like MrB I had access to a Ninja 750r to also play with. You may be better off with dual e-bike's for you and the Mrs if you must be on 2 wheels. I think an older car would be a better idea as then you can get 'casual' insurance as it's not a daily driver.

The cost of insurance down here must be a lot cheaper. I have all of my insurance thru the same company and it cost only $75 dollars a year for each of the 4 bikes I own. They are limited use vehicles meaning I ride them less than 7500 miles a year. So check around and see if raising the deductible to $1000.oo or limit the mileage or time of year you can ride. If you can find an old rebel it will be a great bike to learn on. A Yamaha Maxium 650 would be a nice second bike being easy to balance and cut low enough to put your feet on the ground. Both of them are inexpensive and well supported still.

Art

You wouldn't believe how fast your man card gets pulled if you show up to a ride with one of those and you are not wheelchair bound or over 75 years old. Now find an old VW chopper and you are golden because it is retro cool. Go figure....lol

Art

Art, I never knew what they were until a month ago. A friend wants one when he retires/dreams.

I have only seen one on the street and it didn't fit in with the rest of the traffic.

Never been bikes in the family and probably never will. There seems to be a lot of single fatalities up here in the summer. Speed seems to be the outcome.

Kep safe.

Art, to me our insurance costs are high here, where I am the prices are influenced by the Toronto region (thought I was far enough away but apparently not for insurance!). I pay 900.00/yr for a 2010 grand caravan and that's after discounts for age, accident free, snow tires in winter, loyalty etc. I do have collision, loss of use & forgiveness & comp. I have shopped around and haven't found much better (am with CAA right now). Bear in mind that currently there's a 30-35% difference in our dollars and add in our government is involved to "help". I believe my Landlord was going to be in the 1,500.00 plus (maybe more) per year for his bike (think he paid 750.00 to buy the bike) as a new rider, and would have been lucky if he could ride it 7-8 months of the year.

Michael