Fun with northerns

reelingMachine

Divide and conquer... I truly believe P&TA lives here some days. Let'm go or keep them, your limit is yours to decide while sticking to zone regulations. Any that think that C n R doesn't have a mortality rate is in dream land.

Nice feed there fella.

Thats whay I keep all my white fish Wayne. If I let them go, someone else will catch them and eat them. Less for me. LOL

peta3a says CnR is harassing/ torturing wildlife, so that makes no sense.

4x4 on this board has caught the same laker from deeper water for 4 or 5 consecutive years so you might be in dream land.

If you don't think the busy cottage country lakes could use a little help from CnR you are in dream land

Great work! My bet is the OP is already regretting the post. It's just so damn hypocritical to look at one photograph and pass judgement on keep vs release. A guy could fish the whole summer while applying C & R and keep a limit of fish out the colder fall water just to get flack from the "elitists" on OFC. Unless someone is breaking a limit or possession law, please mind your own business. If the MNR wanted help, they'd ask.

Quick, someone start another "Why doesn't everyone post fish reports?" thread.

Thank you guys.

No regrets about it and knew that few people would not be happy about keeping the limit. Finally was excited and had something to share, so few posts about fishing this year.

Having a one year old to take care of and the wife back at work fished not more than 10 times since ice out, not much luck as well, probably got skunk 4 times including the last two outings, few weeks ago on Sturgeon and about a month ago on another lake targeting pike (from shore). Not a person who keeps the limit for freezer. Kept another limit of pike on the opening day on another lake this year.

This time gave two to friends, the rest mostly for perogies, which are really nice, hope some are left to freeze for another day. If somebody wants the recipe let me know or google.

That was Zone 16, the last day of bass season, would love to have a bass on the line, obviously it did not happen, so why not take the limit of pike and give bass and other fish a chance :)

Fished from shore, initially slowly pulling a rapala flat rap perch. Got 3 pretty fast, the smallest ones, then nothing. Could cast it just few meters beyond high weeds, so mostly fished in a foot of water above the weeds. Fortunately prepared the rig using one of two huge bobbers I bought few years ago for some reason. A big jig head and another bell weight attached directly to the bottom of the bobber, looks ugly, but I could cast it 15-20m farther. This brought the last 4 that were more chunky.

Edited by reelingMachine

Great response reel, we should all be practicing catching fish

Ill just leave this here

AKRISONER, on 24 Oct 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:snapback.png

not sure if taking shots at me or not...lol

Sorry I was too ambiguous...yes, yes I was.

Edited by AKRISONER

Boys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's that time of the year where we as good people are to live with peace on Earth and good will to man. After the New Year go nuts and attack each other.

Every time I go out here on Erie I am hunting for food, no Walleye is getting released here by anyone I know. Smaller Perch, yes, the odd Smallmouth, yes. But I will not be ashamed to take my fish home including a Rainbow.

Nice catch reelingmachine. You go man.

Years ago I was shown how to take out the Y bones. Then one of the Yanks at the camp said "We eat the Y bones." Say what Buddy? The strip of meat with the Y bone is added to some fillets and done in the food processor to make fish cakes. Once emaciated with the crumbs, cheese, eggs and spices there isn't a Y bone to be found. My former Father in Law wouldn't let you put a Pike in the boat. Then one day my BIL and I kept a nice Northern for the weekly fish fry. Fed Dad the Pike and he never knew the difference and swore it was a Walleye and we were full of it.

calling a spade a spade

amazing how a 1 photo fishing report has now easily gotten more replies than all of manitou's 15 reports combined in 1 day.

And way way more than my report where I had 20+ photos and that took me 5 hours to make. Lets get back to fishing people.

Just prefer catch and release so there's fish for the next guy, that's all. I'm allowed an opinion as are you, no need to be abrasive it's a friendly forum.

Ok, so telling the OP that you aren't a fan of keeping fish on his photo of a limit he kept is friendly then? Sorry, I guess I misunderstood that comment.....I'm sure he will be excited to post his next report now...

S.

7? Isn't it 6 in most zones.

Yep nothing like a nice Pike out of cold water, even warm water they are pure solid meat. Never a worm and a sore on them is rare. Talking to my kid brother just now and he reminded me we just cut the entire back off and then used that piece for the Pike Cakes. Cut into 2" chunks and into the food processor. A few pulses and added salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, dried oregano, Italian bread crumbs, eggs, and Parmasiano cheese. If too dry added 1/2 and 1/2. Made burger size patties and then egg wash, bread crumbs and fried or baked to a golden brown. I remember old Walt Adams who was a Dock Foreman always had a pocket full of warm pike cakes wrapped in tin foil in his pocket on the job.

7? Isn't it 6 in most zones.

Yep nothing like a nice Pike out of cold water, even warm water they are pure solid meat. Never a worm and a sore on them is rare. Talking to my kid brother just now and he reminded me we just cut the entire back off and then used that piece for the Pike Cakes. Cut into 2" chunks and into the food processor. A few pulses and added salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, dried oregano, Italian bread crumbs, eggs, and Parmasiano cheese. If too dry added 1/2 and 1/2. Made burger size patties and then egg wash, bread crumbs and fried or baked to a golden brown. I remember old Walt Adams who was a Dock Foreman always had a pocket full of warm pike cakes wrapped in tin foil in his pocket on the job.

Used to keep a few when ice fishing too. It was fantastic...you'd never know you were eating pike if you'd only eaten pike caught in July/August.