Fun with northerns

reelingMachine

Nice catch of fish thanks for the report and picture and sorry for some of our C&R people are not thrilled with your report. I will ask people to please read reports in the spirit that they are written and reply accordingly. Winternet is coming lets keep it to a minimum.

Thanks Art

Used to keep a few when ice fishing too. It was fantastic...you'd never know you were eating pike if you'd only eaten pike caught in July/August.

As a teen in the 60's one of the first rituals of spring was going pike spearing, they tasted pretty good in March too. :ninja:

I am a support of C&R but also a supporter of filling my belly YUMMY. Pike are the perfect fish for doing that and are prolific enough in those sizes. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes. Those pet@ people must just love it when they see outdoorsmen arguing about harvested fish.

People like controversy :ninja:

In my opinion, if you have to justify legally harvesting non-trophy fish (on a fishing forum no less) based on nothing more than a picture, then there's something wrong with this picture.

I'm just jealous that he has a freezer full of pike and I don't :canadian:

OK another convoluted possession/limit question. If I catch a limit of fish, go to shore and eat 1 can I go back out and catch another to fill my possession limit? Even though I will keep some fish rarely do we limit out on Walleye here. Not needed really because 4 nice fish in a morning of trolling or drifting would be close to or over 40 pounds. 4 or 5 fish between 2 of us is plenty. I don't want to be on the water at Noon anyway, too hot and that's when the winds on Erie pick up most days. Fish Farmer and Wormdunker can have the entire lake to themselves when it's 30C and you are covered in Mayflies. Even when we get into a good school of Jumbo Perch I don't relish cleaning 200 Perch. We have a lady at the Marina that will clean them but 200 fish might cost well over $100.00 at 3 bucks a pound.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No you cannot eat one fish then replace it later.

Its daily limit. If you got your limit thats all you can keep. Ie you cant go drop em off at home and catch another limit later that day.

You can switch species however.

I started off keeping pike because my family is huge and obviously 4 walleye isnt gonna feed us. So Id keep 2 or so northerns to add to the amount.

But now I actually prefer the northern and c&r most walleyes. The wife and kids dont mind one bit either.

Nothing wrong with eating Pike as many here agree. They are a solid fish. I make a tomato pasta sauce with pike and Brandy. Simple toasted garlic on EVO, in go the fillets and sear on each side, a splash of Brandy, some in the pan too, chopped plum tomatoes, not pureed, finish with Parm cheese, lots of it, fresh Basil and Parsley. Of course the Pike will break up, you want that. Pour on any pasta, more cheese and drizzle with EVO. Best with a tube pasta so all the goodies get in the pasta. A new fave of ours is Pennoni lishe (no lines), 1/2 way between Penne and Rigatoni.

M2B2 bring up the cooking thread so I don't hi jack anymore threads.

Tried the same spot yesterday. Caught 1.

It might be the new moon and few warm days that turned them on the first time.

I think the warm spell had alot to do with it. We hit upper 60'sF for a few days and we had a great time jigging up some really nice Bass.

Art

I'm a have to put up some more reports with dead fish in them to help those in shock with keeping fish. I'm all for conservation and sometimes that means shutting down a fishery , sometimes that means killing some pike in the Kawarthas so the other fish have a chance.....and sometimes that means keeping a limit of rainbows cuz there so freakin tasty :)059.jpg

Like I said before nice going, and don't be ashamed.

I'm a have to put up some more reports with dead fish in them to help those in shock with keeping fish. I'm all for conservation and sometimes that means shutting down a fishery , sometimes that means killing some pike in the Kawarthas so the other fish have a chance.....and sometimes that means keeping a limit of rainbows cuz there so freakin tasty :)059.jpg

Nice Bows Andrew! Thanks for sharing the photo! Please do share some more reports and photos. Always fun to see!

Edited by huzzsaba

Thank you and everyone for supporting, and James and Chris for your comments too.

Some of us are C&R only, few will take as many as allowed all the time, but I believe the majority is somewhere in between and it can swing to any side all the time.

So what are you guys saying? You're all over the map.

A CnR guy is a tree hugging twink? but you guys CnR when nobodies looking?

I replied to this thread because a guy was getting castrated for mentioning CnR.

to help those in shock,

oh yeah, those pike in 17, they're here to stay, may as well embrace them

Edited by aplumma
no mock cussing

So what are you guys saying? You're all over the map.

A CnR guy is a tree hugging twink? but you guys CnR when nobodies looking?

I replied to this thread because a guy was getting castrated for mentioning CnR.

to help those in shock, f u

oh yeah, those pike in 17, they're here to stay, may as well embrace them

im just sticking up for a fellow fisherman keeping his legal limit of a delicious fish. no hard feelings i hope Chris.