Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
huzzsaba

the weather network VS weather.gc.ca. Which is more accurate?

Recommended Posts

Which one is more accurate? I am planning to go camping this Thursday/Friday and the weather network says there is 70% chance of rain and weather.gc.ca says 30% chance of rain.

 

 

Obviously I understand Canadian weather is unpredictable but from experience, which one do you guys find more accurate? Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can we vote none of the above

 

the only good one is AccuWindow

 

you open your window and see what is happening

I wish they were more accurate on their next day predictions but 5 day forget about it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can we vote none of the above

 

the only good one is AccuWindow

 

you open your window and see what is happening

I wish they were more accurate on their next day predictions but 5 day forget about it

 

Hahaha, X2, wet rock, it's raining, sweaty T shirt, it's hot. Can't see the rock, it snowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use wunderground app and its VERY good in comparison.

 

That and it has more detailed information.

 

Its not perfect of course but it is useful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My area had a "high" chance of Violent Thunder Showers all weekend.

Friends remade plans based on these warnings...So far no clouds, no rain, no thunder, just hot, muggy and dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My area had a "high" chance of Violent Thunder Showers all weekend.

Friends remade plans based on these warnings...So far no clouds, no rain, no thunder, just hot, muggy and dry.

 

Dang, you got stuck drinking all that beer alone. Shame bud. LOL

 

You still running that bass boat you brought up from Yuma Garry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the above!!

 

Weather network can't even get 'current conds' right!! They also say "Tue--light rain, 15-20 mm". OK, which will it be??

 

WN usually overpredicts the amount of rain. 5 days out they say 20 mm, 3 days they are down to 10, 1 day down to 5, then we get 2-3!! Don't want people getting mad at them I suppose!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Wunderground. I agree with Manitou. Great on the computer and apps work well on Android. It's all I use. The radar is updated every 15 minutes.

 

No Comparison.

 

muddler

Edited by muddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Wunderground. I agree with Manitou. Great on the computer and apps work well on Android. It's all I use. The radar is updated every 15 minutes.

 

No Comparison.

 

muddler

Yep im not sure how they do it but at least in my area its very accurate for 3-4 days in advance.

 

And for pricipitation its literally to the minute.

 

And the radar is awesome as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Accuweather more correct then either of WN or environment Canada. If I had to chose between EC and WN I would say EC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Intellicast, look at the radar to the west of us, we can pretty much count on getting whats over Chicago in 24 to 36 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow great information here. I always thought weather canada and weathernetwork would be better than wunderground and accuweather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

switched apps from environment canada to wunderground and seems like the rain will finish before we arrive the campground. hopefully it decides to stay that way :lol: . Wunderground app is pretty nice in comparison and it gives hourly weather days in advance. Pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

switched apps from environment canada to wunderground and seems like the rain will finish before we arrive the campground. hopefully it decides to stay that way :lol: . Wunderground app is pretty nice in comparison and it gives hourly weather days in advance. Pretty cool.

Its crazy accurate man. When it says the rain is coming its right to the minute.

 

Plus it has the barometric pressure and hourly wind changes etc that I find very useful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A buddy of mine is a pilot for Air Canada, he uses Intellicast. I have found it to be far more accurate then any others and if you take some time to explore the site, you will find more than enough info to make plans.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?latitude=39&longitude=-97&zoomLevel=4&opacity=1&basemap=0014&layers=0039

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use intellicast and wunderground

 

TWN is horrible. They dont even get current weather right.

Edited by Sinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

weathernetworks problem is that they have weather stations now everywhere that can read the current temperature and wind speed in a specific spot. They then label it as a "pointcast" where they will give you a forecast for that specific area..but its total Bull because their forecast is actually driven from somewhere totally far away.

 

I.e. if you look in pointe au baril they have a bunch of local businesses running their "pointcast" weather stations...but then you look at their forecast and its from muskoka airport which is down south of huntsville where the weather is typically 100% different than up towards sudbury.

 

Environment canada has my favourite radar for sure though, especially because theres a station up in Britt which is right near PAB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GC site is always late to the party.

You will probably find that in the next couple of days they will up the chance of rain significantly.

 

I have 4 sites bookmarked that I check to make my decisions on whether I go or not.

I will look at all 4 sites and take the consensus as to what the weather is going to be like.

This usually works quite well for me.

Last Monday I knew what this weekends weather was going to be and it was bang on.

 

My go to for daily weather is: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

#2: http://weather.gc.ca/

#3: http://www.accuweather.com/

#4: http://www.yr.no/

 

A couple more weather related sites I use.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;n=0;

 

I do a lot of virtual storm chasing. :)

 

http://stormtrack.org/community/pages/RadarScope/

 

http://severestudios.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×