Fishing/camping set up

pike slayer

I'm already thinking about soft water season. I plan on getting out to the bush to fish more with my wife and take the dogs. I want to buy a camper but not sure what direction I should take. I was thinking of a couple different setups.

1. My 2004 nissan titan older not quite as reliable anymore and buy a slide in camper for it and then I can tow my comfy 16' boat with 25hp.

2. My 2012 jeep wrangler and buy a tent trailer but I'd be limited to my uncomfortable 12' boat on top of the camper

3. My jeep with some form of tent bushing it but have my comfy 16' that I can tow with the jeep.

What would be the ideal setup? Basically get comfy fishing for a uncomfortable sleep or sleep comfortable with uncomfortable fishing?

Opinions?

I can borrow my parents tent trailer whenever I want, and I've used it quite a few times, it's cool, but I would never buy one.

I would go Wrangler with a rack set up and the 12' boat on top so you can go wherever you want off road, sleeping on the ground in tent.

So uncomfortable/ uncomfortable, but very mobile.

You wanna do both! I had a thought a little while ago. Buy an enclosed cargo trailer big enough for your boat. Modify the trailer to include sleeping quarters (fold down bunks), a portable Coleman cook stove, a winch at the front of said trailer (inside) to haul your boat up & inside the trailer. Now you are just towing 1 trailer. I have a 14' Lund so it's feasible. When you are at your destination, park on a slightly sloped grade. Release the winch to allow the boat & trailer to roll out. Uncouple the cargo trailer, hook up the boat trailer to your truck, launch it. I thought of this set up due to I fish smaller remote lakes north of Sudbury. I have seen the odd bear in my travels & sleeping in a tent is scary sometimes.

I've thought of ideas like that. But it would get quite heavy and dragging that thing into remote lakes. I know the jeep won't do it with only a 3000lb tow rating but my titan could.

I've also thought about buying old campers for $100-500 drag them into remote lakes and take the tires off ta da I have camps all over the country side haha.

I have a tent trailer and like I think it's a pretty decent way to camp.

Set up and take down can be a little time consuming and if it rains or is cold (think condensation inside) then you need to dry it out or mold and mildew will be an issue.

Russian_Camp.gif

If I were you there are a couple of ways to do things.

One you've already stated the pick up and slide in camper so you can haul your 16 footer.

A truck bed tent is a less expensive option.

blog_truck-camping-bed-tent.jpg?10768

Another possibility is the Jeep with a roof top tent and you can still haul the 16 footer.

blog_truck-camping-vehicle-tent.jpg?1076

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Heres an option

Back a few years ago when all 3 kids went camping with us we use to drive 2 vehicles one to pull the boat the other for the tent trailer. Now that we are down to 1 kid we drive just one vehicle pull the boat and tent it. We bought a large tent and BYOBs. So you sleep off the ground stay warmer and dryer and the beds themselves are more comfortable to sleep on then the beds we had in our tent trailer.

You could also look into buying a portabote which fold up real easy and are easy to strap to the roof.

Camping cots are great too with a bed roll down for insulation. Been using one for 15+ years and will never sleep on the ground or an air mattress again.

Obviously this only convenient in certain situations. If you are into canoe trips and lightweight travel, they probably arent ideal.

Buy yourself a large high quality tent. I camp with 2 of my boys, the little one is to young yet. I'd rather have a comfortable boat to fish out of. As mentioned above, get some good inflatable air mattresses and it's as comfortable as can be! I like the pop ups campers but I'd rather not have to fish out of a car topper. Don't cheap out on the tent though, nothing worse than a cheapo tent when the rain is pouring down.

Edited by porkpie

I wouldn't drag anything too heavy into the woods. We camp in a car trailer for moose hunting and it's pretty tough on the tow vehicle.. any washout and it hits the ground so it takes hours just to go about 60 kms. A good tent along with cots etc can be pretty comfortable.. be sure to take a dining tent with side walls..

If you have a commercial (Black) license plate on your truck; it's legal to tow a trailer with another trailer connected to the first trailer. As long as you do not exceed GVWR of the tow vehicle, with the combined weight of both trailers and tow vehicle's;you're good to go.

It looks goofy as hell going down the road and you're never going to be able to back this train up, while it's all connected; but it is legal here in Ontario.

Dan.

IMG_7075_sm_zpsi54wsklz.jpg

Yes the titans only can do 1400lb. I was going to add new shocks and add a leaf and still be very selective with a slide in. I want it light for the bush and the weight of the boat on the back plus gear.those light slide in are hard to find and are pricey. Tent trailers are all over the place.

I've thought of doing the train. It wouldn't be bad down the highway but ohhh god if I had to back that thing up it would be a cluster for sure!

I really like the roof tents that drifter posted but man they are expensive for a jeep. Said and done after tent, roof rack, ladder etc it's $2000

Still cheaper than either a slide in or tent trailer. ;)

It looks like 2 people screwing around for an hour to set that thing up, no? What's the advantage over a regular tent?

I don't hate tent trailers. It's the cost, maintenance, storage, towing it, set up, tear down etc, that out weighs the benefits IMO

They have a nice solid, flat base to sleep on and you won't wake up in a puddle if it rains all night. ;)

I believe the set up on them is fairly easy too.

As an added bonus, you're away from critters. Especially nice in bear country. :D

I have awakened to find my tent set up area of choice has had a depression that I didn't notice.

It rained hard all night and there was a nice 2" deep puddle in my tent. Right where I was sleeping. <_<

Have also had bears sniffing @ the side of my tent in the night too.

That's pretty spooky. :w00t:

Why not just a run of the mill fibreglass cap? Easy to find used, light, inexpensive and mobile. Don't like it and you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.. Throw a futon back there and your golden. Leaves you cash for a nice dining tent and chairs, etc, etc. And you can still tow the boat.

Why not just a run of the mill fibreglass cap? Easy to find used, light, inexpensive and mobile. Don't like it and you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.. Throw a futon back there and your golden. Leaves you cash for a nice dining tent and chairs, etc, etc. And you can still tow the boat.

That's what I'd do, as long as I had a sliding window or two in the cap.