Nipigon river bridge

jjcanoe

Actually, lowest price doesn't get these jobs.

Many factors are taken into account. Schedules, Canadian content, design.

Sometimes MTO designs their own bridges, sometimes there is a design competition for artistic value, maintence requirements etc.

It is a very complicated and involved process to put a project like this together.

Inspection used to be done by MTO but about 25 years ago they started contracting it out to engineering materials laboratories and it is overseen by MTO engineers.

More than one engineer will be calculating and checking work like this.

Something really strange happened here and it will take a while to figure it out

Interesting article Glenn.

I have done a bit of bridge work and MTO engineering checks generally cover it but this could be different .

I can't see the design not being stamped by an Ontario registered engineer but the government does what they want.

Ms Wynne doesn't seem to understand the importance of this bridge for Canada.

All the beef and pork from western Canada coming by truck must cross this bridge. and her statements sound like she is thinking Hwy 17 from Nipigon to Wawa but it isn't like that.

I still don't understand how anybody would reopen this bridge given the failure that happened and the current unknowns.

Also, with how upset Sandro, CEO of Ontario eng society sounds, its possible they got shut out of this bridge and now have a great big I told You So on the way

Now I'm wondering if the same engineers will do the second bridge

Edited by Dara

spanish company. says they have experience with cold weather climates but... apparently not. says they are the same people that built the 407. hmmm...

if we couldnt hire canadian maybe we should have gone with finns or norwegians instead?

Edited by Raf

All in all it's a terrible situation. What really bothers me is, every where you look our major projects are purchasing materials & other goods from over seas. In Canada we have seen several large corporations close their doors. Atlas Steel in Welland, John Deere in Welland, Hayes Dana in Thorold, Stelco Steel just to name a few. Where are your grandchildren going to work? Hell, even Arcteryx clothing which is a high end outdoor clothing manufacturer has their garments now made in China. At one time they had a plant in British Columbia! Yes - their clothing was Made In Canada!

Your grand children need to get an education and not rely on falling back to working on an assembly line. That might seem a bit harsh, but it's a reality. The days of finishing high school and signing up at GM/Stelco/Dana etc are over (And have been for a while)

Edited by BillM

Your grand children need to get an education and not rely on falling back to working on an assembly line. That might seem a bit harsh, but it's a reality. The days of finishing high school and signing up at GM/Stelco/Dana etc are over (And have been for a while)

Besides a good education will make you a lot more $$$$$.

Besides a good education will make you a lot more $$$$$.

A good education only gives you a better opportunity to make more money. The rest is up to you.

I agree with what you and Bill are saying, however not everybody can do that dance for various reasons. I just find it unfortunate that the developed world in general is throwing the middle class under the bus. And please don't take this as a rah rah union rant because it's not.

A good education only gives you a better opportunity to make more money. The rest is up to you.

I agree with what you and Bill are saying, however not everybody can do that dance for various reasons. I just find it unfortunate that the developed world in general is throwing the middle class under the bus. And please don't take this as a rah rah union rant because it's not.

I happen to be a unionized employee. :D