My DIY Pallet Coffee Table

FloatnFly

Some of you may remember way back to earlier this year, I was in search of some pallets/skids to break down and build a coffee with. Well thanks to one of the members here, I was able to collect a few skids, and get some pretty decent quality wood to build it with.

After pulling them apart, I took the boards over to a friends to have them refined, had all the edges jointed, and the thickness planed down. After planing them all down, with all the dirt removed from the face of the boards, the beautiful wood was revealed, a nice oak!!!

I glued all the boards together to get the top

IMAG0073_zps25uyzsbf.jpg

The legs are made from spruce which were cut from 3 x 6 x 8ft rough cut boards and sanded down smooth

We chose to go with the outside leg configuration

IMAG0085_zpssztz4yim.jpg

Here it is all stained up, with all the edges routered down to remove the shard corners and the legs as well

IMAG0099_zpsmqycczzu.jpg

And the finished top

IMAG0100_zpsojwqjlp1.jpg

all thats left to do is to varnish it

Edited by FloatnFly

Well done :clapping: sir

We burn skids up here for the fire pit,,,,,but when I find some that r hardwood I keep them for the same purpose,,,to make things out of

There is gold in another mans junk for sure, its all in the eyes of the beholder

U did have me a little worried in the first picture lol re the legs

I will try to find and send some pics of 2 burl tables I made a few years ago

Again from a wood lover WELL DONE

Before my brother became ill, he was a hobby furniture maker and he made a few downsized tables for me to fit our weekend trailer; that I'm still using today, 18 years later.

He loved working with oak and there'd be a :thumbsup_anim: if he would see your table.

Very nice work, especially coming from rough wood.

Dan.

Amazing what hides in a skid! A lot of work to bring it up the way you did.

We heat with wood here and a friend dropped off over 100 skids of mixed woods. Always a heartbreaker when you see good hardwood in them but it always seems it's full of nails and staples.

Nice to see someone with the vision to take "garbage" and make it into something!

Good work. Looks like ash boards

I know my wood , ( U of T Forestry 74 ) when I first started in the steel industry in the late seventies you would see a lot of Elm used on hardwood skids , when we were losing our Elms to disease. I suspect there will be a lot of Ash used in hardwood skids today cause of trees being removed because of the borer.

thanks all!

if you take the time to find what you're looking for, and spend some hours cleaning them up, its amazing what you can find in the pallets. The hardest part is pulling them apart without snapping the boards

from the pile of skids, i also got some nice ash, and some beachwood as well