Firewood season

Rod Caster

I buy a tandem load of logs every two years. Last one cost me $1250. Mostly Red Oak. I have 12 10ft long rows of 14" pieces. They were dropped last winter. Stacked by mid May. I'd prefer to be a year ahead for that oak, but I split it smaller so it cures faster. Regardless, two years is best for red oak. Still quite cheap heating anyway you look at it. Most exercise I get all year as well.

There's just something about wood heat that can't be duplicated. I love it.

Cheers

30 singles! Not bush cords! I couldn't imagine doing 90 singles in a year.

Most of what I cut and pulled was dead fall/wind fall or standing dead, mostly yellow birch and red maple.

Dutch Elm Disease wiped out most of my Elm trees, so I tried harvesting that as well. 5 months drying and still no chance of me splitting it. That stuff is the worst to split. I'll take a twisted yellow birch any day.

We only use the wood stove for entertainment or emergency...nothing like a wood fire on those -30* evenings...makes a guy feel warm and fuzzy...

I still have half of the bush cord I bought in the spring of last year...$250 + $25 delivery...

Hard to find an insurance company that will insure a house that uses wood fire only...

My uncle has a pretty sweet setup, an outdoor wood furnace. These units are pretty sweet! He Orders two tandem trucks a year so he always has seasoned wood good to go and keeps him busy outside.

Barely ever uses the oil furnace unless he is out of town.

If I could swing one of these I would in a second.

G

Propane is my primary source. ... :D a whole $500 a year heats the house and hot water and cooking stove

A splitter would be nice, but only if I had all the logs hauled to one landing. Most of the time I'm cutting trees in the middle of the bush and splitting by hand on location. My forest is thick and terrain is rough

Have propane heat @ the house but will be installing a Wiseway pellet stove in the cabin.

It is the only non-powered pellet stove on the market. The pellets are gravity fed rather than using an auger.

I like the fact that I won't wake up to a cold cabin in the morning as the hopper fits 40#'s of pellets.

Nothing worse than having to get out of a warm bed into a cold cabin to relight the woodstove in the morning. ;)

http://www.wisewaypelletstoves.com/

Have propane heat @ the house but will be installing a Wiseway pellet stove in the cabin.

It is the only non-powered pellet stove on the market. The pellets are gravity fed rather than using an auger.

I like the fact that I won't wake up to a cold cabin in the morning as the hopper fits 40#'s of pellets.

Nothing worse than having to get out of a warm bed into a cold cabin to relight the woodstove in the morning. ;)

You have done your home work sir.

That looks very interesting.

Checked out the website. Both the models show hopper capacity of 60LBS. You said 40LBS. Do they have a smaller version not listed?