NF-What the Hell

Craig, there are many degrees of mental illness. I have a panic attack once every few years, it has been 7 years actually, and the Dr. prescribes a whatever "pam" to be used as required, I must check the " Have you ever been treated for a mental illness?" box on a health insurance questionnaire as yes. Nowhere is there an area on the questionnaire for an explanation. So am I as mentally ill as someone that can commit any crime and be acquitted because of mental incapacity at the time the crime was committed? I don't think so, so anyone with a mental illness can be a criminal.

Our system failed this man and failed the man he killed. Why should we let him out and potentially harm more people?

Regardless of his illness he is a threat to those around him and should be kept under supervision for the remainder of his days.

Lets not allow the system fail somebody else.

Craig, there are many degrees of mental illness. I have a panic attack once every few years, it has been 7 years actually, and the Dr. prescribes a whatever "pam" to be used as required, I must check the " Have you ever been treated for a mental illness?" box on a health insurance questionnaire as yes. Nowhere is there an area on the questionnaire for an explanation. So am I as mentally ill as someone that can commit any crime and be acquitted because of mental incapacity at the time the crime was committed? I don't think so, so anyone with a mental illness can be a criminal.

Hey Ironmaker

I'm certainly not suggesting that someone with a mental illness can't be a criminal as well. There are certainly varying degrees of awareness with various conditions. I'm no doctor. I just meant I would hate for someone to be classified as a criminal based solely on the fact that they suffer mental illness.

Cheers

Craig

Mental health issues should be treated with respect and concern, it's a major issue that has come more to the forefront over the last 20 years. It affects a LOT more people than you'd think. That said, welcome to Canada. No-one that has hacked the head off of someone and tried to eat them should ever be released into the general population again, regardless what kind of meds they are on. Many people have suddenly decided they where "well enough" and stopped taking their meds, with negative results.

This ^ Mental illness is a terrible disease that we need to do better as a society to treat. The moment someone else loses their life especially in that manner though is the moment you should lose your rights.

he gets a pass for 30mins to start, which could be slowly increased to a day. This could take a very long time, as it is up to the psychiatrist to determine his state. He would need to continually take his medication or he will regress and never be granted a full day or potentially released from the facility. Even if he is released, he will be placed on a community order to take his medication or be readmitted to the facility.

Edited by jrwb

What if what BillM said was not done in public but found out about later? Same story?

Either way I like what Canuck2fan said about the Dr being tied to the future outcomes if there are any.

Yeah Old Ironmaker those "pams" are not the fun one's to hang out with. They too can kill someone or bring them to the end of their rope...

Edited by GBW

What if what BillM said was not done in public but found out about later? Same story?

Either way I like what Canuck2fan said about the Dr being tied to the future outcomes if there are any.

Yeah Old Ironmaker those "pams" are not the fun one's to hang out with. They too can kill someone or bring them to the end of their rope.

Crazy is crazy, doesn't matter if that's behind closed doors or not.

Yeah Old Ironmaker those "pams" are not the fun one's to hang out with. They too can kill someone or bring them to the end of their rope...

"Pams" dont work that way. I think your looking for SSRI's

lets be serious here, Mental illness, perfectly sane, whatever the scenario, if you murder another human, cut their head off and eat them, you in no way shape or form will contribute to society in any beneficial way, nor should you.

Personally i believe humane painless lethal injection is the only method to ensure that an incident such as this does not happen again. The planet has quite enough humans already, bad apples like this one need to be removed.

Consider the victim, and any more potential victims, do their lives mean less than this man's?

*note i am not a capital punishment enthusiast. It should only be used in the most extreme cases i.e. Paul Bernardo, This guy etc.*

Edited by AKRISONER

If you chop someones head off in public, you shouldn't be given a second chance at anything.

No sane person chops another person's head off in public or private! Therefore IMHO he was insane. Obviously there is no cure only control, my question now is if the medication keeps him under control who is going to insure that he keeps taking the medication?

You guys just don't get it do you? Much better minds than ours have determined that it is safe for this fellow to learn how to rejoin society, and function as a contributing member of society. Make no mistake, these are not choices that are taken lightly. I have an acquaintance that works as a physiatrist in a forensic hospital near Wayne's place and if he indicates that someone can rejoin society, it is a personal decision on his part. He has family all over North America.

According to many of you someone very close to me that now employs between 4 and 400 people should not have had that chance to benefit Canada. There are success stories, let's not forget that.

According to many of you someone very close to me that now employs between 4 and 400 people should not have had that chance to benefit Canada. There are success stories, let's not forget that.

You have a friend who ate people? Must be awkward going to his dinner parties.