fish attractants do you use them

skinny

• 1 year later...

I was a believer for a long time. I made my own scents with oil of anise which I bought at the pharmacy. I have a bottle holder at the bow of the boat that holds 3 bottles of scents worm, crawfish and garlic. I don't use them anymore and still have zero fish days and limit days. I think they are a confidence thing. Fish with confidence in your equipment, bait, location, weather conditions, electronic ability, etc. and you pay more attention and I believe that results in more fish. If you feel scent gives you more confidence slather it on and it will work.

Carpers are famous for using different scents on their baits...

Myself, I like to flavor my boiled maize with a good splash of anise and mix some of the flavored water into my ground bait...

A friend likes to use strawberry koolade...

I also have a bottle of pineapple spray for my boilies...

Edited by Beans

• 2 years later...

Here's a little something that may have helped a couple of weeks ago when I wasn't getting any bites..I snagged a goby with a spoon...rubbed him all over the spoon before I fed him to a seagull ..3 casts later had a pike on.

Will try this technique for bass next summer.

More on topic..been using the Yum F2 spray, Mike's bass gel, and Shiner Wand alewife chapstick.

I feel the spray comes off after the first cast where as the gel lasts for 15 or so casts and the chapstick stuff stays on forever.

But it's hard to tell if the fish would have bit or not without the scent on.

Does anyone notice a difference using this stuff?

I started out with gulp attractant and i dont think it helped or hurt. Then i switched to berkleys scents and i really like the bass one, which i find works better for walleye then anything else lol. Imo they work but i think a lot of that is because it masks the scent on your hands. I can tell ya one thing, if you don't smoke you'll catch more fish. I really believe fish are turned off by that crap

...experience from Cuba...cigars and suntan lotion are repellents. You have to learn how to apply suntan lotion with one hand only.

Cod liver oil if you can find them. 500ml bottle. Last a long time. Won't freeze. Put some in a small bottle with a dropper and you are good to go. I even put it on my roe bags to recharge them on the river. Know a few old timers that swears by it. Trouble is finding it. I think I got my last bottle at Walmart under the equate brand. Under $10.

I use various scents and use them all them time for bass and walleye and all the years I charter fished on klake Ontario....I believe they will at least hold on that second longer or sometimes follow the scent trail......I know it doesn't hurt as my fishing has never been affected by the use of scent......like I said in another thread I will sometimes throw some baits in a container or package a few hours before im going to use them and give them a soak.........

Laugh but it works as well as any other attractants.

Plus its a dual purpose item, ointment by night, fish bait by day. LOL

Dan

preparation-information-H.I.C.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you must need a better seat in the boat then Dan... :whistling:

Anyone use WD-40 ?

As a kid I sure did.

That isn't what they meant... Keep thinking fishing and scent...

He knows what he said

As for scent, I never use a spray , but I prefer my plastics to have scent like yum or powerbait, with heavy salts being my favourite. Garlic scent never seemed to work for me, and rubber smelling plastics are only for quick moving reactions imo . Fish are foodies nowadays

Scent has to play a significant role.

Anybody that has used real worms will tell you.

Like a fish knows what an earthworm is.

In my experience GULP will outfish all other plastics especially for the bluegills and smallies on Pigeon.

Never tried GULP spray scent. Maybe should.

Threw the middle 80's I jigged spoons for walleye on Quinte. Exact same spoon in each hand one had a glued on rattle, blue ice line and I used doc j on it and minnow. The other just plain with a minnow.

The one with the trixs was streaky and plain was consistent. For 5 years they caught the same amount of walleye.

I won 2 bassmania classics using Kick N Bass. Don't get that stuff in your mouth.

Safe to say I was in and out of scents.