fishing mood swings

Rod Caster

I am in the fishing less each year camp

I grew up fishing every weekend in the summer with my dad brother and grandfather on Balsam lake

Then in my late teens, early twenties my brother bought a cottage on a small hali lake that had an awesome bass and health muskie population and it continued

But he sold the cottage. I got married and had kids and I don't get out nearly as much. Maybe 5 or 6 outings this summer

I still love it andit will come back around I think but I'm also okay with it and think that when I do get out now I love it that much more

PLUS and it's probably dangerous to mention it here but I'm a golf nut so my two favourite ways to be outside compete in the summer.

Like Lew I have spent limited time on the water over the past few years. my boat bought new in 2008 has around 50-60 hours running time on it total. We were at a cottage in Muskoka for a week in July and in Kawarthas for a week in September, some days the boat didn't move from the dock. Mojo is fading and other interests have taking its place. Who knows maybe it will come back maybe it won't. Boat up for sale in the Spring.

I fish alone 99% of the time and have a bad ankle, so I have fished less often now than in my past. Most of my fishing partners have either past away to early or have developed health problems that prevent them from going. I still really enjoy the time on the river, but sold my boat so no more lake fishing. Hopefully conditions will be better in the spring and more steelhead outings will be possible.

I think we all get the up and down swings to some degree. I don't get them for a whole season, I get them in much shorter durations. I can fish all day and come home exhausted thinking I need a break. Feeling like the next day I have off work I'll relax at home, putter around the garage, anything to recharge the batteries so to speak. I need a break!! By Friday I'm chomping at the bit to go fishing! Checking the wind and weather forecast hoping I can get out and cranky if I can't. I'm my own worse enemy. LOL

Wow not me I am still excited about fishing and pine to get out on an daliy basis. Planning on hitting LSC tomorrow for the day. Not many muskie days left for sure. One more time next week and then that's it until the spring or maybe I will set up to fish Bows/lakers on the lower through this coming winter.....

I used to be out 150+ times a year. Got married and had kids, then I was lucky to get out 10 times a year. Divorced now and fighting a custody battle for 5 years. The lawyers are putting me in the poor house. Hopefully it will all over this spring. The kids love fishing and northern Ontario. I still manage to get out a few times a year (no car - paying the lawyers). I still make my own lures flies and rods. Have done so for well over 50+ years. I usually give these away to friends and neighbours as gifts. Enjoy lurking and reading posts here and since I have very little to add I don't post much. The Leafs thread here really gives me a chuckle as I have been a Bruin fan for well over 55+ years.

I really miss the steelhead fishing early in the mornings in the fall and winter. The summer bass and walleye fishing in the summer on my favourite lake is something I have vowed to reclaim once my life gets back on track. I still bike in the summer to my secret fishing hole only 15 minutes away a few times in the summer and I have a ball with some monster walleye.

The passion is still there but the resources have dwindled. I love fixing up all my tackle, reading about new gear and methods. I really want to try beads for steelhead next year. That's new for me.

Still love it. Muddler

Never LOST INTEREST....

Had times where life lets me fish more or less over the years....

And I've bounced from species to species over the years... Spent my late teens/early 20s targeting musky almost exclusively... During the same time Carp were also a highly targeted species.... I rarely fish either of them now due to the fact I'm addicted to walleye like a fat kid to smarties....

My wife... Kids... And job sometimes effect the amount of time I get out... But they all enjoy fishing and fully support me getting out or coming with me...

I used to fish every weekend I could, take a few weeks and long weekends through out the soft water season.

I'm an avid fisherman, duck hunter and now dog trainer.

Since getting my first lab 8 years ago, my field trial

bug has grown, I even got a second lab who is now 2.5 yrs old

So my summer months are busy, dog training.

I leave the fishing to comfortable times spring and fall (well

fall is spilt between hunting and fishing)

I find myself really enjoying the time on the water when I get it :

The older I get the less I like sitting in a boat baking in the sun.

This year was my most time spent on the water,sadly I did not/contribute to my team as I forgot about the whitefish caught(caught in the moment lol).It gets more and more each year.My river time has not been what I haved liked due to mostly crazy weather through out the later part of the fall.Really like to enjoy that with company anyway,but no takers this year .This winter looks even better than last for me.Started February,so maybe out 7 times total,but that will change this year. Kids are long gone,now it's MY TIME lol. Loving this thread.

Fishing has always been a part of my life. I used to ride my bike to a local farm pond after school and weekends and fish. I joined the Navy SeaBees and did a lot of saltwater fishing. Once out I went back to river fishing and had a chance to start collecting boats and gear. I faded back from fishing to further my career and opened my own Plumbing business. I still fished but it was not near as often as before. I am now able to go on fishing excursions for 2 weeks a year and fish locally with friends once or twice a week. I also find a trip all by myself a good time to relax and unwind with no pressure to produce fish for everyone in the boat.

Art

Given your situation (bun in the oven and your first property) I'd say a lessened interest in fishing is the wrong way of putting it. Your priorities are right where they should be.

I'll be picking up the slack, dont worry.

You're probably right!

Pick up that slack and keep trading me fresh fish for fresh rabbit.

Truth be known, I've even contemplated getting away from fishing altogether and selling off my boat and all the gear.

Major garage sale coming. Keep me posted.LOL

Yer kidding,right?

I went through this as well.

FISH FISH FISH.

Almost cost me a family. Took a bit of time off,well a season. When she seen how grumpy I got,she kicked me out the door and said go fishing will ya. LOL

Havent looked back.

God bless her heart.

Yep, happened to me with ice fishing, 3 years of running Simcoe almost daily during the whole

Meegs/badboy/or humpback creeper "who invented it" saga equaled ice fishing burn out LOL.

Though my ice fishing spirts were rekindeled chasing ,Specks and Splake last season.

Edited by RyanMc

When she seen how grumpy I got, she kicked me out the door and said go fishing will ya. LOL

Havent looked back.

God bless her heart.

Good woman there Brian!

Bren's thing with me, "Drew, my dad and brother were always gone hunting, they brought home food every time otherwise we didn't eat. What's up with you?" :wub:

This is an interesting thread.

Been fishing for as long as I can remember, was limited when my kids were younger but once one had one graduated from college and the two others graduated from high school I went crazy for about five years, fishing every chance I got, even made multiple trips to Ontario each of those years. I love to fish. The last couple of years life has gotten in the way and this year has been the worst. I cancelled more trips this year than I care to mention but I was still able to make two trips to Ontario.

Hopefully I will make up for the missed opportunities in the future.