Bird Identification

Fisherman

Does it have a band on it ? some one's homing pigeon's internal GPS malfuntioned.

edit: just saying cause I had one hang around a bird feeder for a few days and it had a band, fairly tame but couldn't pick it up to see the band.

Edited by dave524

I used to run the poultry show here at the local fair? Looks like a racing or homing pigeon. There are a lot of hobby breeders here in Southern Ontario. At least 20 breeders here in the Niagara region alone

Yep, when I lived in Welland, guy across the road had a trailer with many small compartments/cages with the name of a Racing Pigeon Club on it. He'd haul the pigeons to some release point a good distance away and simultaneously release them. He didn't own any pigeons himself, because he could cheat. I know there was betting going on as well, think a lot of bucks were bet on those pigeons.

I have a lot of doves around my place, specially in the winter at the bird feeders, but a couple years back I spotted this guy on the front lawn.

He was bigger than the normal doves I see, was much lighter in color and had a black ring on his neck. I'd never seen one before so I looked him up and it's called a ring necked dove and is native to Eastern & Southern Africa.

I contacted some bird clubs and it turns out this was only the 2nd ever reported sighting of this critter in Canada so I was pretty happy with that. They were amazed that it somehow got here all the way from Africa and wanted to send some birders over here to try and spot him again but I didn't like that idea so I just gave them a general location and let it go at that.

The dove hung around for a couple days then disappeared

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiDsKOq1uXUAhUp5oMKHc9PCSMQFggkMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRing-necked_dove&usg=AFQjCNGBep1J0GZEofbF82XIworuoroo2w

001-18.jpg

Edited by lew

A little O.T. ... I used to work for a fellow who raised racing pigeons. He had hundreds in his coup and would attempt to mate the fasted birds, in an effort to win the various races he competed in. He would "cull" the losers by bringing them into the office in a large carry cage. I would come into the office and hear all kinds of "cooing". When I returned to the office after lunch, the "cooing" was no where to be heard. I asked what happened to the pigeons...

Well, one of the managers was of European descent and his father lived near the office. Pigeoni on a bun was dinner that night! I LMAO, knowing that those pigeons were probably the best fed birds in the province!

HH

A little O.T. ... I used to work for a fellow who raised racing pigeons. He had hundreds in his coup and would attempt to mate the fasted birds, in an effort to win the various races he competed in. He would "cull" the losers by bringing them into the office in a large carry cage. I would come into the office and hear all kinds of "cooing". When I returned to the office after lunch, the "cooing" was no where to be heard. I asked what happened to the pigeons...

Well, one of the managers was of European descent and his father lived near the office. Pigeoni on a bun was dinner that night! I LMAO, knowing that those pigeons were probably the best fed birds in the province!

HH

Nothing wrong with a good feed of squab

might be good on the barbie, Fisherman!! :)

It's very easy to dry out pigeon so I would be quite hesitant to throw it on the Q.

My two favorite ways of doing them was a clay baker or oven bag with bacon over the breasts. Slow cooker work work nice too I figure.

Cheers

Where I grew up in the shadow of the Niagara Escarpment in east Hamilton we had 2 types of birds, black ones and brown ones. Now that I have lived in the Carolina Forest of southern Ont. for 21years I can definitely say it's a white bird.

It's a Pigeon.