Do you believe in the fishing calendar?

LittleWorm

Just wondering if anyone here puts any faith in the calendars you buy that also have if that day is suppose to be a good,bad or fair day for fishing.

I myself don't believe them but my dad seems to thing they are accurate.

I've seen him not want to go out on beautiful days just because the little fishy on his calendar says its not suppose to be a good day.

Hogwash I say!

I fish when ever, where ever. I dont rely on the calendar. If I did, I be sitting at home, drinking cold beer and eating burgers.Better to be fishing, Get home , cooking my catch and drink cold beer. If no fish, well, the cooking still happens, and the cold beers are always at the side. Bacon wrapped anything, is good anytime. :canadian:

This is, Hogwash :lol:

turkey wrap 008.JPG

Edited by Misfish

like Brian I fish whenever, wherever but one thing i know for sure is that no matter the conditions, fish have to eat. Only question is are you going to be there waving it in front of them when they do?

The Lunar cycle effects ALL living things, the 'fishing' calendar is based on this.

I agree with this; yes fishing can be affected, good and bad.

I've been in the service industry for 40 some odd years and i cringe every full moon, The crazies come out or relatively normal people turn strange.

Why I have no idea but I believe it to be true.

Dan

im of the opinion that the environment (weather, wind, light) has more of an impact than lunar cycles but lunar cycles definately do have one.

Edited by Raf

March - October: I fish. November to Feb I have the blues (until i retire to somewhere warmer)

However, I will say that fishing for kings after a full moon on a clear night in July has proven to be a great way to wash lures for a few hours, more than once.

Weather is a bigger factor for me

Full moon makes for lousy duck hunting , especially in heavily hunted areas, they feed at night and roost during the day, same could be said for deer hunting as well. Never really noticed it made a difference fishing.

im of the opinion that the environment (weather, wind, light) has more of an impact than lunar cycles but lunar cycles definately do have one.

That's pretty well what I was gonna say. Absolutely the lunar cycle plays a role but its only one piece of a huge puzzle.

the moon cycle def matters but I base my fishing success more on the weather and barometer more than anything and depending on what species im after it can make a huge difference as well as the water im fishing weather or not its clear water or stained....but still anytime to go fishing is a bonus and I wont let any 1 thing be my decision maker and usually just go for it....in all types of weather....and because I have crewed on a salmon charter for many many years as well as grew up fishing walleyes you have to be good at adapting that's the bottom line .....

LOL, my electric company has sent me a new calendar every year now for 27 years, it doesn't show the best fishing days! Should I complain? or give them a pass cause it's free? It doesn't have long range weather predictions, which were more of a concern to me.

I know of a Musky guide who not only goes by best fishing days but also makes sure to be on his spots during the moon rise and set times during the day. He swears by those times that the fish are more active.

Cheers

I know of a Musky guide who not only goes by best fishing days but also makes sure to be on his spots during the moon rise and set times during the day. He swears by those times that the fish are more active.

Cheers

But we know Smits that most muskie guys are nutcases. lol

Kept track of moon phase for about the first 9-10 years of keeping a fishing journal. In that, catches or best guesstimates of catches were also recorded. That's a long period of time to detail actually. Full and new moons are best for walleye and pike numbers caught / activity of fish. That said, (like it has been the case for muskie too in more recent years) the last quarter moon has been good for bigger fish.

I've never once looked at one of those calendars and decided to stay home. I will assume they are based on the lunar phases which I do believe have an impact on fishing. But as said above, I think weather conditions play a more important role.

The trick here is fish eat in all conditions. You just need to change presentations for different conditions. Once you sort out what works in different scenarios, that calendar wont matter anymore.

Adam

Full moon makes for lousy duck hunting , especially in heavily hunted areas, they feed at night and roost during the day, same could be said for deer hunting as well. Never really noticed it made a difference fishing.

I disagree. Ducks migrate on full moons so you have fresh birds in the marsh. I plan ALL my waterfowl trips around the full moon. Always works out. Last year on the super moon we slayed birds.

I don't plan my fishing days on the lunar calendar, but when it is a good day, I will make sure I am in a good spot for the max times for sure. It does have an effect on all living things.

S.

I disagree. Ducks migrate on full moons so you have fresh birds in the marsh. I plan ALL my waterfowl trips around the full moon. Always works out. Last year on the super moon we slayed birds.

I don't plan my fishing days on the lunar calendar, but when it is a good day, I will make sure I am in a good spot for the max times for sure. It does have an effect on all living things.

S.

I agree. I def. Try to get out on certain days because the bite IS better. But like anything there are so many factors.

Barometric pressure is way more important for me. If a storm is moving in, im doing my best to be out. If your on a good spot before the storm hits, the fishing is usually insane! Of course you gotta be safe with that too, make sure you can get out before the storm hits etc. But that's hands down my favorite time to fish