Back in the saddle again!

Rattletrap2

Well boys, it has been 4 long years without a boat and I surely did miss it. I have not contributed on here much.....cause when you are not fishing, there isn't much to contribute. I do get on here from time to time to just read the posts.

Big news is.....I bought a new boat! 2017 Alumacraft Escape 165 tiller with a 40 HP Yamaha. Can't wait to get back out fishing! I miss it and I want my grand kids to have this experience in life.

I do have a couple of questions though. One is regarding the motor. It is a Tiller with Hydro Assist tilt. Not power tilt and trim. My last boat was a console Bass boat with obviously power trim and tilt. Do any of you have experience with this type of motor? I can't find much online. Basically, you lift the motor manually (although a gas shock makes it easy, and then lock it in place. Once you release the lock, it drops slowly on the gas shock. It is not something you would adjust while running like you might with power tilt and trim.

I have had old Evinrudes and a couple of Mercs. I went with the Yamaha because I believe they are a bit more reliable. Maybe just my perception, but that's how I feel. Anyone have this motor that can shed any light on their experience?

Thanks

The 30 Mercs we had up @ the lodge I worked at had the assist cylinders.

They just help to make it lighter to lift and easier to drop it down for use without slamming down.

Think of it like the gas assist shocks on the rear hatch of a hatch back car but without the strength to hold it up on it's own.

My yamaha 40 is the same gas assist. Downside is you cannot adjust trim on the fly. Ie. Trim in for holeshot, trim out on plane. On my 15' boat that doesnt matter much, she goes.

There is a pin which allows you to manually adjust the trim to your boat but it is a set and forget type deal.

Welcome back!

My yamaha 40 is the same gas assist. Downside is you cannot adjust trim on the fly. Ie. Trim in for holeshot, trim out on plane. On my 15' boat that doesnt matter much, she goes.

There is a pin which allows you to manually adjust the trim to your boat but it is a set and forget type deal.

Welcome back!

Yes, this. I like it myself. Its great for getting into shallow water. My hunting partner has the same emgine on a 16ft lund. It goes good.

Sounds like a great rig.

S.

Thanks guys!

Geez Wayne, only 24,919 posts......ya must be slacking off! lol

Thanks Lew, I hope it fits the bill.

Thanks for the opinions and info on the motor guys. I'm really hoping I don't need power trim on this set-up. Good to know your Buddies boat handles well with the 40 HP Sinker!

Can't wait to get out, catch some fish, and post a report!

Edited by Rattletrap2

Well boys, it has been 4 long years without a boat and I surely did miss it. I have not contributed on here much.....cause when you are not fishing, there isn't much to contribute. I do get on here from time to time to just read the posts.

Big news is.....I bought a new boat! 2017 Alumacraft Escape 165 tiller with a 40 HP Yamaha. Can't wait to get back out fishing! I miss it and I want my grand kids to have this experience in life.

I do have a couple of questions though. One is regarding the motor. It is a Tiller with Hydro Assist tilt. Not power tilt and trim. My last boat was a console Bass boat with obviously power trim and tilt. Do any of you have experience with this type of motor? I can't find much online. Basically, you lift the motor manually (although a gas shock makes it easy, and then lock it in place. Once you release the lock, it drops slowly on the gas shock. It is not something you would adjust while running like you might with power tilt and trim.

I have had old Evinrudes and a couple of Mercs. I went with the Yamaha because I believe they are a bit more reliable. Maybe just my perception, but that's how I feel. Anyone have this motor that can shed any light on their experience?

Thanks

I've got the same one, 3 years old, runs like a top, idles like a dream with the electronic idle control. Power assist is a 2 finger assist up or down. It runs soooo quiet. I had to try a couple different props at first. The one they gave me had way too high of a pitch, couldn't get slow enough for trolling and wouldn't get close to top rpm. Let me know if you want the size number I have, I'll have to check.

If you ever need to trim up quick and are in motion, off the throttle and lift. I used to beach the boat in that very manner. Giver when close to shore, off the gas and lift up. You may find the 2nd or 3 "pin" from being dead down a better ride. On my Lund I have it on the 3rd pin from bottom. Different motor but same ideas and principals.

Fisherman and GBW, thanks! That is great info. Glad to hear you are both happy with this type of motor. They did not have one on display and until the next show where hopefully they do have one, I was having some doubts.

Fisherman, when you do get a chance, I would love to know what you ended up with for a prop. I know the prop was not included with the engine, so hopefully the dealer knows which one works best for the boat. What make, size and style of boat do you have?

Fisherman, when you do get a chance, I would love to know what you ended up with for a prop. I know the prop was not included with the engine, so hopefully the dealer knows which one works best for the boat. What make, size and style of boat do you have?

The boat is a 16' Princecraft Starfish tiller, I added my own floors. I carry the regular downrigging stuff, FF, radio, etc. Since there was no listing for recommended props for my boat, the dealer started me off with a 10 3/4 x 17P, far too much pitch. I went down one size to a 10 3/4 x 16P, was a tiny bit better. Finally went to an 11 1/8 x 13P and it's not at max listed rpm yet. I can get down to about 2mph with 2 people in the boat although I may buy a spare and go one size further down yet to 11 5/8 x 11P for when I'm alone downrigging. With the present prop I hit about 40 km/h when there's a ripple on the water, I don't like beating the boat in the waves.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Four-Stroke-F60-T25.pdf

Edited by Fisherman

The boat is a 16' Princecraft Starfish tiller, I added my own floors. I carry the regular downrigging stuff, FF, radio, etc. Since there was no listing for recommended props for my boat, the dealer started me off with a 10 3/4 x 17P, far too much pitch. I went down one size to a 10 3/4 x 16P, was a tiny bit better. Finally went to an 11 1/8 x 13P and it's not at max listed rpm yet. I can get down to about 2mph with 2 people in the boat although I may buy a spare and go one size further down yet to 11 5/8 x 11P for when I'm alone downrigging. With the present prop I hit about 40 km/h when there's a ripple on the water, I don't like beating the boat in the waves.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Four-Stroke-F60-T25.pdf

Great info Fisherman. I saved it! Thanks

If you can still upgrade to tilt/trim I would highly advise it for someone your age. You will never get younger or stronger and if you do decide to upgrade a year or two from now it will cost you a LOT more to do so. Bite the bullet NOW and get the tilt/trim unit and you will be glad you did.

I know it's not what you want to hear but I'm just trying to help and not pat you on the back to sound good.

Happy Fishing . . . :Gonefishing:

BTW all outboards are great nowadays so I wouldn't limit myself on any one manufacture. But I would take a second look at a E-TEC for the simple fact they are offering a 10 year factory warranty until March 31st. Can't beat that deal with a Ugly Stick IMHO.

Edited by Mister G

I'm not quite sure how to take your comment MisterG about my being too hold to tilt a 40 HP! lol

Even if it might be true!!!. I'm not sure it was even an option on the Yamaha tiller. I saw it on the 50 HP. To be honest, the people working the Yamaha booth at the boat show when I was there were useless! One guy tried to show me the hydro assist on the 50 power trim.... and deducted that it must be broken! It was power tilt/trim!

Their brochure and website don't seem to offer much more on engines in the mid- range sizes.

I'm not quite sure how to take your comment MisterG about my being too hold to tilt a 40 HP! lol

Even if it might be true!!!. I'm not sure it was even an option on the Yamaha tiller. I saw it on the 50 HP. To be honest, the people working the Yamaha booth at the boat show when I was there were useless! One guy tried to show me the hydro assist on the 50 power trim.... and deducted that it must be broken! It was power tilt/trim!

Their brochure and website don't seem to offer much more on engines in the mid- range sizes.

LOL

He dosent know your 6 ft 6 and a mountain man. LOL

It,s just a tiller after all. :Gonefishing:

All,s well here SIR,

Enjoy the new float.

Edited by Misfish

Rattletrap, don't get rattled by Mr. G's post. He has some good advice there. I am old enough that the Feds think I am qualified to get a pension. Rare days I think I'm stealing it but most days now I feel I deserve more. Age can't be changed. Strength can be but I have to tell you it is a tough challenge to increase let alone maintain the same strength I had just a few years ago. I wouldn't think twice about lifting a 40 horse by myself a few years ago and did, now I struggle with groceries and need 2 more hands to hang my kicker on the transom and it's still heavy. I should be President of the "Used ta" club, I used ta do this and I used ta do that, I have photos to prove it. It's just a fact of life. If you can still upgrade to a auto tilt/trim and it won't break the budget go for it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker